Kili

Options
Obeah1
Obeah1 Posts: 55 Member
Hi,

I'm not a hiker or backpacker, and for me, camping means a room at a Hilton hotel. However I'll begin this activity with a bang this summer when I climb Kilimanjaro with my son. I'm a 62 year old male, physically active and in good, but not top shape. My weight is pretty good, although 10 pounds less will help.

My winter fitness activities are to ski most days and when I don't ski I always have a spinning class. I swim laps twice a week and I recently started weight training at the gym. Its not good weather for hiking here in Ottawa Canada (athough Kili is real cold near the summit) but I will start hiking at some point in nearby (small) mountains.

I was wondering if anyone has tips regarding fitness activities that will help me to prepare, or any other suggestions that may help.

Cheers.

Replies

• AltSpeaking
    AltSpeaking Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Kili is an endurance challenge - A challenge to push yourself for a full day with dwindling oxygen. You'll want to work your cardio (the stronger your cardio, the easier the lack of oxygen will be, not that it will ever be easy, but it won't be as hard lol). Also arm and leg strength helps a ton.

Of the group of us that did it last September we had less issues with being 'physically ready' and more with some people not having the gear needed :)