Carb Addict

Options
Hi, my name is Katherine..I have type 2 diabetes and I am a carb addict... looking for ideas to satisfy the cravings in a healthy way.

Replies

• cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Type II just in December; so I am new to the "club" and also a recovering carb addict.

First; Log everything you eat accurately here on MFP. Its amazing how knowing what you eat is so helpful. It will also show you where your challenges are.

My DR set a carb limit of 180 carbs a day for me (it may be quite different for you) so I simply try to stay under that line. For me that means roughly 40 carbs per meal and snack. Prior to my diagnosis I was probably consuming 200 carbs per meal! I thought it would be difficult to change, but I've found it hasnt been that bad.

Second: Cut out the biggest offenders: Sodas or any sugary drink. Bread. Potatoes. Pasta. Cereal

Third: Add Healthy Food: More greens. I thought I would hate this, but I have grown to like them. Cauliflower can be used like rice or even mashed with garlic n butter and makes a decent replacement for mashed potatoes. Eat healthy meats; they fill you up and stay with you longer. Snack on Nuts, Greek Yogurt, cheese sticks, hard boiled eggs... The internet is loaded with low carb recipes. Find 4-5 you like and make several meals in tupperwear and stash in the fridge.

Forth: Test your blood a lot at first till you know what foods spike your Blood sugar. Test before the meal; then either one hour or two hours after. You will soon learn which ones are good or bad for you. Rule of thumb is stay under 140 at all times.

A side benefit for me is I am loosing weight without really trying. Lost 30 lbs so far in 3 months just cutting way down on carbs.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Moderation. And I would recommend not drastically cutting carbs from the beginning, start small. I have a happy balance at around 90-100 a day. Just give it time, it takes a while to get used to it. I do eat more carbs on days I've burned a lot of calories, otherwise I get shaky.

I would recommend getting your carbs from foods made from whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Eating foods high in fiber will help keep your blood sugar from spiking as much. Keep your carbs to 45g or less per meal (3 meals) if you're trying to lose weight, and less than 60 if you're trying to maintain.

My diary is open if you want to look through it, but be warned that I'm not one to deny myself a treat :drinker:
    Just for reference, my A1C in March was 5.7.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Hi Katherine. You've gotten some great ideas and suggestions already. I often find that there are specific foods that can be difficult for some people, and that it may not be carbohydrate in general. In fact, it's often highly processed foods that are also high in fat that cause the most problems: candy, cookies, ice cream, crispy snack foods. It might be helpful to identify specific foods that give you trouble, find alternatives for those foods, and make sure to also eat balanced meals that contain protein and vegetables to help you feel satisfied. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • diabetesdieter
    diabetesdieter Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    looking for ideas to satisfy the cravings in a healthy way.

I love carbs too! I found Joseph's low carb/cal pitas. They have 60 calories and like 8 grams of carb for a whole pita! I eat one with hummus for lunch almost every day. They also make tortilla wrappers that are 80 calories and 12 grams of carbs each.

I pretty much have adjusted to replacing crackers, chips and breads with subs. I like : celery, kale chips, jicama "chips" and zucchini noodles for pasta.

Having diabetes definitely makes me rethink my old food choices.
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options

I love carbs too! I found Joseph's low carb/cal pitas. They have 60 calories and like 8 grams of carb for a whole pita! I eat one with hummus for lunch almost every day. They also make tortilla wrappers that are 80 calories and 12 grams of carbs each.

Ive heard several people rave about the Joseph's low carb pitas, but I cant find them anywhere except mail order. Are they in any chain stores?
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I was diagnosed type 2 in December. I was starving for the first couple of weeks after, as I was afraid to eat anything. Now, most of the cravings have gone as I have replaced high carb foods for better options. A couple of ideas:

Mission Carb Balance tortilla wraps - 6gm net carbs, 13gm fiber, 5gm protein - love these for breakfast and lunch wraps, fill with eggs, cheese, veggies, tuna, meat, leftovers just about anything you can come up with.

Dannon Lite & Fit or Activia greek yourts - 8gm carbs, 80 calories, 12gm protein - I love blueberry but most flavors are great, add berries, protein powder, make a smoothie, plain variety can replace sour cream, add packet of ranch seasoning for a healthy veggie dip

Hardboiled eggs, Colby jack cheese sticks, a handful of nuts, peanut butter are all in my meal plan too like others mentioned. I love packets of tuna salad by Starkist - low carb, high protein, 100 calories and don't require refrigeration so I can toss one in my bag and go.

Making sure you get enough protein, fiber and healthy fats will keep you feeling full longer. Try to have a protein with your carbs too. It slows down digestion, you feel full longer and it helps prevent a sugar spike. Example, a tsp peanut butter with apple slices.

My carb goal is 45gm per meal/135 gm per day. If I want a 15gm snack or two, then meals are 30gm to leave room for it. I usually get 100-120 gms on average. That level varies a lot from person to person. Your limit may be higher or lower. You have to play around with it a bit and see how your blood sugar reacts.

Feel free to message or friend me if you'd like. :smile:
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    You mean highly processed foods like Glucerna
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hi Katherine. You've gotten some great ideas and suggestions already. I often find that there are specific foods that can be difficult for some people, and that it may not be carbohydrate in general. In fact, it's often highly processed foods that are also high in fat that cause the most problems: candy, cookies, ice cream, crispy snack foods. It might be helpful to identify specific foods that give you trouble, find alternatives for those foods, and make sure to also eat balanced meals that contain protein and vegetables to help you feel satisfied. ~Lynn /Glucerna

You Mean highly processed foods like Glucerna Shakes? Ingredients below

Water, corn maltodextrin, fructose, milk protein concentrate, glycerine, high oleic safflower oil, cocoa powder (processed with alkali), less than 1% of: sodium caseinate, canola oil, soy protein isolate, fructooligosaccharides, soy fiber, cellulose gel,
    natural and artificial flavors, sodium chloride, magnesium phosphate, potassium citrate, calcium phosphate, soy lecithin, cellulose gum, choline chloride, ascorbic acid, carrageenan, acesulfame potassium, potassium chloride, gellan gum, sucralose, and the remaining ingredients are vitamins and minerals, though ascorbic acid is vitamin C.

Sorry, Couldn't resist :happy:
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I'd like to take this opportunity to chime in here.

As an insulin dependent diabetic closing in on 35 years now living successfully with this condition complication free, I'm thankful for the Glucerna brand of liquid nutrition products available on the market today. Not only has their line of liquid nutritional products helped me to maintain my nutrition goals after having oral surgery recently, a better choice than meals consisting of mashed potatoes or pasta as a diabetic, their product line was also a very beneficial nutritional supplement choice for my Father as well, during his last stages of liver cancer-as most of the foods he was able to consume only offered him an unpalatable metallic taste during his chemotherapy treatments.

Adding in the Glucerna brand of products to your lifestyle, when or wherever applicable is an individual choice. Its a proven beneficial nutritional tool choice-for many of us needing its help.