do I need a special diet?

Options
ryry1322
ryry1322 Posts: 29 Member
Hypothyroid here. Just started going to the gym. I eat around 1200 calories a day. 4ft 9inches and 198 lbs. I need to lose weight. I have seen many people on here say that its nearly impossible to lose being hypo.

So yes I'm worried. Are there any exercises that help hypothyroid people burn calories easier?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's, and I lost way slower than most MFPers. But I did it just like everybody else—by eating at a deficit.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • playfultippy
    playfultippy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you also have Hashimoto's, CUT OUT GLUTEN. From what I understand, the body can't tell the difference between the gluten protein and the thyroid, and therefore the autoimmune disease will keep attacking your thyroid. I have cut out all gluten for the past 6 weeks, and I do feel a whole lot better. I am also down 12 pounds. I am following a low carb, gluten free diet, and exercising 5 days a week. Good luck to you!
  • epiphany29
    epiphany29 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    No special magic. Eat a deficit. It's slow, but don't give up.

Gluten free may or may not make any difference for you. I went GF for 6 months. Didn't change a thing for me. I eat gluten again so very happily.

Good luck.

Pip
  • epiphany29
    epiphany29 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Also, I don't understand how stopping eating gluten will make the immune system stop attacking the thyroid?

If gluten and thyroid appear the same to the immune system (which I also question the scientific validity of) how would eliminating gluten make the antibodies know that the thyroid all of a sudden isn't gluten?

Pip
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1200 calories a day. 4ft 9inches and 198 lbs. I need to lose weight. I have seen many people on here say that its nearly impossible to lose being hypo.
    According to your profile, you have 35 lb. to lose. Set your goal no higher than 1 lb. per week—which is more than 1,200 calories.

Those of us with Hashimoto's lose weight more slowly than most MFPers. Setting your goal unreasonably high will not make you lose faster—it will only make you miserable. Your goal should be to find the maximum number of calories at which you lose weight. Food is fuel.

Be patient, and read the Sexypants link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I have an issue with thyroid and salicylate in foods and in environmental smells. I have been to see an immunologist and am waiting for blood test results. In the mean time I have been reading around the issues trying to gain a better understanding.

I read salicylate sensitivity can stress the thyroid. The thyroid not only helps regulate other bodily systems it is part of the toxin elimination process along with the liver and kidneys. I have a very restricted diet which is bad. I am best advised to avoid many foods and products so many of you will take for granted.

I live in the UK which has a very simplistic attitude to the thyroid. The US and Australia have a more dynamic attitude the Australians have the best support site, INHO. May I also recommend you look at the "Stop the thyroid Madness", site, another called "food can make you ill" may also help. I also use the Salicylate sensitive site too. Our bodies are such complicated things. Achieving health is about finding out what is right for yourself.
  • suejenfb
    suejenfb Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's and I've been doing well on Medifast. It's the first plan I've tried, and I've tried them all that didn't leave me feeling awful. I had just about given up on loosing weight.
  • playfultippy
    playfultippy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Also, I don't understand how stopping eating gluten will make the immune system stop attacking the thyroid?

If gluten and thyroid appear the same to the immune system (which I also question the scientific validity of) how would eliminating gluten make the antibodies know that the thyroid all of a sudden isn't gluten?

Pip

It’s a case of mistaken identity. The molecular structure of gliadin, the protein portion of gluten, closely resembles that of the thyroid gland. When gliadin breaches the protective barrier of the gut, and enters the bloodstream, the immune system tags it for destruction. These antibodies to gliadin also cause the body to attack thyroid tissue. This means if you have Hashimoto's and you eat foods containing gluten, your immune system will attack your thyroid. Even worse, the immune response to gluten can last up to 6 months each time you eat it.
  • LadyBoss_1989
    LadyBoss_1989 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    what about Soy?
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I plugged your numbers in to calculators and your BMR is at 1500...so you need to be eating more than 1200.

One thing I've found so far (with a slower metabolism) is that eating under my allotment doesn't make me lose any faster -- I'm just hungry. So I can lose slowly and be grumpy, or I can lose slowly and feed myself appropriately. I know which one I'd rather do.

Find a calculator you like (Scooby's is popular: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ Enter your numbers. Take your TDEE - 20%, and never ever net below your BMR.

(And be realistic with your activity level. Like everyone, I plugged in "sedentary" at first. My Fitbit has informed me that I'm actually "extremely active." Increasing my calories a bit has only helped with weight loss.)