2014 goals (short and long term)

Options
toeknee45
toeknee45 Posts: 25 Member
Short Term:
1. Get down to 188 lbs by the end of January (currently at 193)
2. Start running. be able to walk-job-walk in a 1-3-1 mode for 30 minutes by the end of January

Long Term:
1.Get down to 175 lbs by the end of July
2. Run a 5k by the end of July

All my goals are realistic and I am motivated to accomplish them.

What you got?

Replies

• loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I'll have to give this some thought. I'll post my 2014 goals next week.
  • tjmahoney
    tjmahoney Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Short Term for me:
    Resume strict intake as I had when I began, limit carbs (none after lunch) & protein at every meal
    Get down to below 210 by end of January (5 weeks to do so in January)j
    Get down to 200 by end of February and 14% body fat
    Maintain gym at least 3x/week

Not so sure about exact long term as far as weight. I want to resume strength training which (hopefully) would add muscle weight but definitely want to keep low body fat %.
    Also want to do a 5K run by the summer.
  • KingOfTheBurke
    Options
    I guess all mine are long-term, though easily achievable in 2014:

* Get below 180# and stay there until I'm placed in a cheap pine box and pushed feet-first into the furnace
    * Disabuse myself of the notion that I need to drink a bomber of beer each evening (twice a week is fine)
    * Learn to enjoy strength training as much as I do running
    * Able to do 100 consecutive pushups
    * Get my golf handicap below 15 (stubbornly stuck at 19)
    * Save $50/payday for all the annoying end-of-year expenses, like club dues, motorcycle insurance, etc.
    * Speaking of, take that Harley I worked so hard for on a two week trip all by myself
    * Whip my backyard into shape
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I started an April Fool Challenge group that started January 1 and ends April 1 (not too late if you care to join). My goal is to reach the green zone on the BMI chart during this challenge. I just completed a Christmas Challenge that started August 1and lost 41 pounds and achieved 103% of my goal. This go is a 25 pound loss but its down in that hard to lose lard, I expect some bad plateaus. My fitness goals are to up my running to 10k distance and then start pushing for better pace. On the weights, I'm just trying to up a notch or two on each machine--I'm not a free weight guy. I feel pretty successful in my efforts to date but I"m worried about losing my "eye of the tiger" determination I started with in August. I am encouraged by my three teenage sons, they have seen my progress so far going from a chubby hubby going for walks to a 54 year old guy running 5.25 miles without man-boobs and they are proud of me.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Late to the game because I was thinking through this one.

Short-term Goals:
    - Get back into 32 inch Levis (lost ground the last two weeks of December).
    - Average less than 10% carbs and approximately 20% protein for the next 28 days.
    - Join a crossfit gym (February)

Long-term Goals:
    - Get body weight below 200 lbs
    - Drop bodyfat to less than 15% (May)
    - Drop bodyfat to less than 12% (November)
    - Complete a 5K in less than 29 minutes
  • gerry_jamison
    gerry_jamison Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Short term:
    Be below 170 by end of January

Long term:
    Be below 150 by memorial day
    Start/finish 100 push ups program by memorial day

Very long term:
    Do another triathlon
  • TheMMan
    TheMMan Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Short term - get back into a routine after the holidays. I missed a lot of my TRX workouts and gained 3 pounds. Long term, get fit and drop 8 pounds to 160. This would be the lightest I would weigh since I was 11.
  • Cajunofthe9th
    Options
    Short Term: Drop to below 160 lbs around mid March. (I've set the bar low, I'm more than halfway there after 3 weeks)

Long Term (1 year) Drop to 135, Get my bodyfat to the coveted 10-12%, then bulk up muscles to 150 .
  • arkblk
    arkblk Posts: 1
    Options
    My goals. I want to loose 100 lbs by the end of the year. Maybe or maybe not possible we'll find out. I started out at 267 and I'm down to 253 as of this morning. I think my body kinda leveled off. I'm not loosing anything and I've been counting calories. Has anybody ever tried any of the meal replacement shakes.. what's your take on them?
  • RespiratoryScot
    RespiratoryScot Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow, Arkbik, that is a lot of weight to lose - basically you want to lose 10 pounds a month? You might want to consult with someone professional before you do that! There are some people on here with a lot more experience than me but I have heard that a reasonable goal should be no more than 1-2 pounds a week. Anyhow, just my thoughts.

I have never tired a replacement shake, but I'd be curious to hear people's thoughts too.
  • RespiratoryScot
    RespiratoryScot Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like this posting, even though I am a little late jumping in.

My goal is a bit modest for the end of this year. I simply want to be under the weight I started at this year. I am currently down about 15 from the start, all things considered, so a more ambitious hope is that I lose another 15. Getting to under 200 pounds (loss of 35 pounds) would be super duper bonus.

So there's my goals, etched now into the annals of Internetdom for all (or few) to see.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Short-term Goals:
    - Get back into 32 inch Levis (lost ground the last two weeks of December). Done. Put on a pair this weekend.
    - Average less than 10% carbs and approximately 20% protein for the next 28 days. Failed. Primarily with wine.
    - Join a crossfit gym (February) Done. Did private sessions to get through Foundations quickly. Did my first full session today.

Long-term Goals:
    - Get body weight below 200 lbs I haven't weighed myself, but I'm looking good in the mirror. Might weigh in tomorrow morning.
    - Drop bodyfat to less than 15% (May) I probably won't do a scan until much later in the Summer. I think I can make this if I'm able to keep up with crossfit three times per week.
    - Drop bodyfat to less than 12% (November)
    - Complete a 5K in less than 29 minutes I'm not running much, but the crossfit pace should be preparing me for this.
  • RckyMtnTJ
    RckyMtnTJ Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started out January 2013 at 321lbs with a 100 day challenge. I lost 65lbs and went on to lose a total of 80+ lbs. my weight has crept up a bit to the point I started tracking my food again. I never did stop my cardio but I did add weights. So,some of that weight gain is muscle. I've been back,on the horse for 35 days and dropped 12 lbs. not sure what happened but in changing my MFP settings it started me back from scratch. I'm currently at 241lbs.

Short term goals:
    * log my food daily. Keep under 2000 calories 4-5 days a week trying to keep my overage days minimal
    * hit the gym 4-5 days a week
    * lose 3-5lbs a week

Long term:
    *drop another 16lbs to hit 225lbs while adding to my muscle mass
    * fit my size 36 jeans comfortably while teetering on a size 34. That'd take me back to my grade 8 waist size.
  • autoee
    autoee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Weight Goals
    Apr - 275
    May- 262
    Jun - 250
    Jul - 240
    Aug- 230
    Sep - 222
    Oct - 214
    Nov - 206
    Dec - 200
    Body Fat% <20%
    4 days cardio >45 Minutes/week
    4 days of weight training/week
    Polar Fit Index in the Moderate Range
  • RckyMtnTJ
    Options
    Very nice Autoee
    Weight Goals
    Apr - 275
    May- 262
    Jun - 250
    Jul - 240
    Aug- 230
    Sep - 222
    Oct - 214
    Nov - 206
    Dec - 200
    Body Fat% <20%
    4 days cardio >45 Minutes/week
    4 days of weight training/week
    Polar Fit Index in the Moderate Range
  • autoee
    autoee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I know my goals are a little agressive and essentially require that I stay at the top of the recommended loss rate. However, after looking at the numerous success stories using MFP to count calories I feel confident in then process. It really is great having people like you share their success.
  • RckyMtnTJ
    Options
    When I started at 321lbs I lost 4-7lbs/week. I was eating 2300 calories/day and cardio 3-4 times a week. Your plan is totally doable if you stay on reasonable track. Good luck!