Home birth anyone?

Options
meggwyn
meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
Anyone here having a home birth? This is my third pregnancy and I am hoping to have one! My first two pregnancies ended up being inductions which were really hard! I hated the aggressiveness, the lack of privacy, and with my last birth...I felt very degraded by the doctors. So, home birth it is! I'm so excited! I'd love to hear from other people who are doing this or have done it. What is your plan? What did you do? How was it? What birthing methods did you use and what do you recommend: bradley? Hypnobabies? I just keep thinking of having privacy and dim lighting and music and a birthing pool. (And a doula to massage me if I want her to!) Can't wait! (but I have a LONG time to go! lol)

Replies

• spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I am not having a home birth, but this is also my third and I'm hoping for a different experience. My first I was induced and it took 50 hours, 4 rounds of cytotec (which did nothing), 15 hours of pitocin, an epidural, and a vacuum. Was not my ideal birth. My second I went into labor naturally but thought it would take forever (since I showed up early to the hospital - we live far away and I didn't want to be uncomfortable in the car). Took me an hour of walking the stairwells to go from 2 to 3 cm and be admitted. 2 hours later I was in horrible pain and figured I could still have a day to go! So I got an epidural and found out I was 7cm. So this time around knowing it can be faster and hoping to prepare to not be overwhelmed by transition I'm hoping to avoid an epidural and hopefully most of the drugs. Would love to hear from people that were able to have dramatically different births than their previous ones. I had a book recommended to me from a Doula friend that I've really enjoyed Active Birth. It has made me a lot more confident in my decision and has yoga poses to practice so at least I feel like I'm doing something towards my goal.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm not having one either. I prefer the hospital setting, where I can get an epidural, and there are doctors around in case something goes wrong. My daugher's birth went so smoothly and my nurses were awesome. I'm not the type who thrives on pain. Numb me up...the end result of a healthy baby is all that matters to me! :)
  • meggwyn
    Options
    I wish I had also had good hospital experiences! Unfortunately, I have not, hence my desire for a different setting. I don't think there is anything wrong with having a hospital birth. Just wondering if anyone else on here was doing it differently as well! :)
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I wish I had also had good hospital experiences! Unfortunately, I have not, hence my desire for a different setting. I don't think there is anything wrong with having a hospital birth. Just wondering if anyone else on here was doing it differently as well! :)

I really wanted to do a home birth, but instead ended up with a scheduled C-section (easy, non-complicated pregnancy...except she was really high and not dropping). My health insurance doesn't cover home births either--and the hospital delivery was basically covered at 100%--so that was a factor for me.

Several colleagues had done home births and all used a doula that was recommended to them. Starting with finding one was their recommendation to me, as different doulas prefer different birthing methods, just like different doctors approach labor and delivery differently. I know at least one had to do it at a friends house, as she lived nearly an hour from the nearest hospital and even the doula wanted her & baby to be getting more sophisticated medical care within minutes should something go awry.

Good luck! I sincerely hope you're able to do so. From what I understand it is a beautiful experience!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'd like a home birth, but I live in a 2nd floor flat, and I don't want my neighbours hearing! Plus I'd like to use a pool, and I doubt our floor would take the weight of a full pool, nor do we have the space.

I'm hoping to go to the midwife-led unit, which isn't too crowded, and I'll be able to use the pool there.

I had hospital births with my previous two, and they were positive experiences. With my first I arrived at hospital at 2pm, had to wait maybe half hour to be checked, at which point I was 10cm dilated. My son was born at 3:34pm. I just had some gas and air for pushing and didn't need stitches.

I was induced with my 2nd (with a pessary) as she was 12 days overdue. I used a tens machine and then gas and air from 8cm dilated. Labour was 4 hours 21 minutes from start to finish. Again no stitches and home 5 hours later.

If I have to be induced again I won't be able to use the midwife-led unit, so I'm hoping this baby won't be too late.

I'm hoping to have a similar birth experience this time. I don't want an epidural as I hate the thought of a needle in my spine. The only other option in England is pethidine, and that can cross the placenta and make the baby sleepy and unwilling to feed.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I will not be doing a home birth because of previous C section and existing complications. I want a doctor to be there if I need him. However, because of terrible experience the last time around, this time will be done much differently.
    First, no way I am going into the hospital at the first sign of labor and spending 2.5 days strapped to a bed. I will go through labor all on my own at home and will go in when I am ready. Secondly, no pitosin, no way, never again! I can handle 3 days of labor, I can handle pushing my baby out. I can't handle them forcing labor and panicking and freaking out because I have been in labor for too long and they are 'legally obligated' to do something about it.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    What's pitosin? Is that what they give you in an IV to speed up labour? They call it syntocin here.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    That would be it. I am unsure if I spelled it correctly.
    But, yea, I hated that stuff.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I had two very different experiences with my labor.
    First child, my daughter: Went into labor on my own at 4 AM. Arrived at the hospital around 7 AM. My contractions were still far apart but doctor wanted me to come in because I had thrown up after drinking one sip of water. Was barely dilated - had to walk around the maternity floor for hours to help speed up labor. Finally made it to 4 cm, was admitted, got my epidural. Then the labor was going so slow! I got stuck at six cm forever. They were about to do a C-section (baby was in some distress every once in awhile) but when they checked one last time I was 10 cm. Pushed for 30 min. Total labor time: 11 1/2 hours. She was born at 40 1/2 weeks gestation. My water never broke.
    Second child, my son: Woke up at 2:30 AM thinking maybe my water broke but I wasn't sure. (It had - but I didn't know for sure until I was checked at the hospital - if you've never had water break - it is NOTHING like the movies). Started to have some contractions within the next few hours. Very irregular. Called my mom around 6 AM when contractions had gotten stronger and closer together to ask her to come pick up my daughter. Woke up my husband and daughter. Mom arrives around 7 AM. We get to the hospital around 8 AM. At this point, I'm 4 cm. They start to do the IV to give me the epidural. When I got to the hospital, my contractions were already 2 min apart. At this point, they were basically constant. Suddenly felt something "down there" and told them. I was 10 cm dilated - they never got the IV in and we had no time for an epidural. At this point, I was still in the triage room and hadn't even been admitted! They rushed me to the delivery room and I started pushing almost immediately. Pushed through two contractions and he was out. Total labor time: about 6 hours (less than two done at the hospital). The other weird thing with my son: I was able to eat breakfast before we left, where with my daughter I had thrown up the water. He was born at 37 1/2 weeks gestation.
    I have to say that my recovery was much better without the epidural. If I could magically know that my labor would be short, I would totally do it without the epidural. But I don't think I'd want a long, slow labor with no epidural!
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    I had a home birth/water birth last month and it was the best experience ever. I know wonder why I ever gave birth any other way. I would suggest having a back up plan just in case. A friend of mine had her baby at home the week after I did and she had to be airlifted to a local hospital because of bleeding. Everything worked out and she is fine but she had a backup plan that probably saved her life.
    here is my birth story:
    Had fairly painful contractions through the night but they were very spread out. Starting around 6am the contractions were coming every 15 to 10 minutes. At 7: 16 my water broke. We called my midwife and doula and started getting the pool ready. Even though we had done a trial run where the pool filled quickly today the air pump decided to act up and not work well. Contractions were about 5 minutes apart at 8:30. Finally got the pool filled with air and started filling it with water. About 9:30 I got in the pool and my midwife showed up about 10:30. Uriah (age 2) made sure I had my water bottle when I asked for it and tried to bring me a baby doll since "mommy was in the pool to have baby". Faith (age 8) helped by rubbing my shoulders and bringing me cool wash cloths. Levi (age 5) brought me snacks. Sarah (age 19) rubbed my back and made sure I had anything I needed. My friend/doula Ryken showed up about 11:10. My cervix was still a little closed but Kristie (midwife) gently massaged it and it opened all the way. Andrew (age 10) got in the tub as I started baring down. He caught his baby brother as he came into the world at 11:38 am after 5 pushes. It was amazing. Water birthing was by no means pain-free but it was freeing! I was able to move around into different positions and the water gave me support so that I didn't have to work so hard. I was able to immediately put baby on my chest and nursed him right away. I delivered the placenta and we kept the cord uncut for over an hour (so much nicer than the hospital). Kristie gave Tiberias a couple of breaths as he was not taking in full breaths but he soon pinked up and started breathing normal. She also gave me a little air after I tried to stand for the first time and got a bit light-headed.
    No pain meds, nothing but homopatheics for me and baby. It was great! Levi got to cut the cord and daddy helped with the weighing. It was such a great family experience. Grandma was here as a support too.
  • meggwyn
    Options
    I had a home birth/water birth last month and it was the best experience ever. I know wonder why I ever gave birth any other way. I would suggest having a back up plan just in case. A friend of mine had her baby at home the week after I did and she had to be airlifted to a local hospital because of bleeding. Everything worked out and she is fine but she had a backup plan that probably saved her life.
    here is my birth story:
    Had fairly painful contractions through the night but they were very spread out. Starting around 6am the contractions were coming every 15 to 10 minutes. At 7: 16 my water broke. We called my midwife and doula and started getting the pool ready. Even though we had done a trial run where the pool filled quickly today the air pump decided to act up and not work well. Contractions were about 5 minutes apart at 8:30. Finally got the pool filled with air and started filling it with water. About 9:30 I got in the pool and my midwife showed up about 10:30. Uriah (age 2) made sure I had my water bottle when I asked for it and tried to bring me a baby doll since "mommy was in the pool to have baby". Faith (age 8) helped by rubbing my shoulders and bringing me cool wash cloths. Levi (age 5) brought me snacks. Sarah (age 19) rubbed my back and made sure I had anything I needed. My friend/doula Ryken showed up about 11:10. My cervix was still a little closed but Kristie (midwife) gently massaged it and it opened all the way. Andrew (age 10) got in the tub as I started baring down. He caught his baby brother as he came into the world at 11:38 am after 5 pushes. It was amazing. Water birthing was by no means pain-free but it was freeing! I was able to move around into different positions and the water gave me support so that I didn't have to work so hard. I was able to immediately put baby on my chest and nursed him right away. I delivered the placenta and we kept the cord uncut for over an hour (so much nicer than the hospital). Kristie gave Tiberias a couple of breaths as he was not taking in full breaths but he soon pinked up and started breathing normal. She also gave me a little air after I tried to stand for the first time and got a bit light-headed.
    No pain meds, nothing but homopatheics for me and baby. It was great! Levi got to cut the cord and daddy helped with the weighing. It was such a great family experience. Grandma was here as a support too.

Congratulations!!! That sounds so wonderful and I'm so happy it went well! I'm really excited to go into labor on my own and hope to have a similar experience, though it seems SO far away! lol
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hi! My first two babies were home births and I loved it! I would be completely thrilled to be able to do that again. My first one was in the second story apartment and no one new any different. Labor doesn't have to be a big noisy show. ;) My second one was a water birth. I had a huge garden tub at the place we were at. With both of them, I walked around, ate, watched movies until labor got too intense for that (close to transition). With my second one, we were playing a card game until about an hour before she was born. I have had pitocin and hospital birhts with my 3rd-5th babies because my water breaks and labor doesn't start. I much prefer at home. My 3rd was a hospital birth that I had to argue my way through to get what I wanted. My 4th and 5th were at a different hospital that has midwives on staff and was a much better experience. If I have to use a hospital, one with a "mamas know best" mentality goes a long way to being comfortable and in control. My 6th & 7th were twins, so we choose to use the hospital that we used for 4 and 5. If we had another, I would love trying home birth again. I loved how relaxed it was. It is calm the whole time then when the little one arrives there is no mad rush like at the hospital. My husband checked the baby over with the help of the midwife after I had already snuggled and nursed it. With the second one, I was sitting in the living room snuggling my baby and talking to my sister and brother in law (they lived close and we are great friends) with in a few hours of the birth. It was a lovely thing.
  • Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have had all 5 of my children at home. Well, actually I had them at my parents house. We lived way out of town when I was pregnant with my first so we did it there out of precaution and then it just became tradition and I think it has come to mean a lot to my parents that they were all born at their house. Anyway, I have never had a hospital birth to compare it to, but I have loved having mine at home. No one rushing me, everything in my own time and my way. I have never had a water birth because the thought kinda freaked my husband out. I did just fine without the water no complications and all my babies were born fat and healthy.

I think a good home birth has a lot to do with your connection to your midwife. I have used the same midwife with all 5 of mine and I love her she is great! She has been delivering babies for over 20 years. She has delivered hundreds and she is wonderful.
    Also, the people you have there with you will determine how well your home birth goes. Make sure you are completely comfortable with everyone there with you and that they are calm and supportive. You don't need any negative attitudes around at this time.
    I would never push a home birth on anyone, but I do highly recommend it.