Introduction!

Options
CatShelton
CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
Hi ladies!

My name is Cat and I was diagnosed with PCOS formally last year but my doctors have thought that was the issues since I was about 16 (12 years ago). I suffer from insulin resistance, Hirsutism, very low energy, painful burst cysts, high blood pressure, and amenorrea (2 years no period).

I was on Metformin and Spironolactone for 3 months and had horrible stomach issues from it. I refuse to take meds anymore for this and want to fight it without meds. I am currently working out 4-5 times a week, eating Low GI, and controlling my sugar cravings, low energy etc. by supplementing with Shakeology. I cannot even being to tell you how much Shakeology has changed my life and my PCOS symptoms. I am finally seeing some weight loss and an improvement in nearly every symptom!

Hope all of you ladies are doing well in your fight against PCOS. Feel free to friend me as a friend!!

Cat

Replies

• cherylann7474
    Options
    Hello!!

My name is Cheryl. I'm 40 years old and was diagnosed with PCOS and Hypothyroidism in my 20's. I've not TTC.

I work about 4 times a week at the gym in my office building for about 30 minutes and on sunny days I power walk during my lunch time at work outdoors. I eat small meals throughout the day to avoid overeating.

Ladies, feel free to add me as a friend anytime.

Let's beat this PCOS!!

Cheryl.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Carly, age 37. I've been informally diagnosed as PCOS by my doc, but no follow up. Hypothyroid officially for over a year (tested low once before but med didn't work so off I went). This time my levels are back up, but I don't feel any different. Doc said this is likely because the rest of my hormones are out of whack.

I walk twice a day 4 days a week and once a day 1 day a week, usually about a mile at a time (a mile fits nicely into my 15 minute breaks at work). I haven't been able to carve out any other time to work out at the moment, but I figure its a start!

I'm not on any meds for PCOS since it is all hush-hush, but I have had the strangest problem develop. Every single time I eat, regardless of composition, I literally pass out. Sometimes for seconds, others a minute or three, but I never know it is happening until I wake up. Doc suggested that it is likely that my body has a limited source of energy, and that it can either keep me conscious or digest my food, so Zzzz.... She called it narcolepsy unofficially to provide reasons at work. (Long story).

I've discovered this happens after I walk, too. I found some information about eating cleaner (no GMO, etc.) which I was already doing as much as I could, and upping my protein, which I've struggled with. I have no handle on this whole thing, and I'm dying to feel normal again. Looking forward to sharing tips and all.

Anyone feel free to add me, as well. I'm an open book. :)

Carly
  • CatShelton
    Options
    Carly,

The passing out might because of spikes or sudden drops in blood sugar. If you have insulin resistant PCOS (as I suspect) then you should be carefully watching the number of carbs at each meal and eating low GI foods to ensure your blood sugar stays even throughout the day. Spikes can cause many issues, including your blacking out, but also promotes more insulin production and thus fat storage and weight gain.

I hope that helps a little. There are some great books out there about PCOS and Low GI, as well as an amazing podcast by Dr. Beverly Yates that talks about many different aspects of PCOS. But my first step if I were you, would be to get to an endocrinologist that has some experience with PCOS and hormonal imbalances in women. Good Luck!!

Cat
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'll look into this...my previous endo was a waste of time and money, but I'm moderately close to OU (less than an hour drive one way), and they have a decent selection of specialty doctors. I already see a couple docs up there, one for Women's Pelvic and Bladder Health (long story, that one), another for my GYN....

My mom also has raging signs of all these symptoms, particularly the auto-immune/unexplainable allergies stuff, and I'm super concerned that she has had PCOS, undiagnosed, for decades! This also leads me to be concerned for my own daughter (as she is barely a teen and has already had many cycle/mood related issues). I'm assuming PCOS is genetically linked, at least as far as risk factors?
  • CatShelton
    Options
    From what I have read it can definitely be partially genetic. But not always. That is the case with a lot of the symptoms too. Many people with PCOS might suffer from them, but not all of us have the same symptoms. Thats why it is only a syndrome (a collection of symptoms caused by one thing) and not an actual diagnosis of a disease.