Tips and suggestions

Options
Hi guys, thought I'd start a thread for some of the crowd-sourced tips we're sure to generate. :-) Even little things like have water and a towel nearby. Though some tips might be more open to discussion and subject to opinion than others.

Replies

• muroo
    muroo Posts: 68
    Options
    My opinions so far are:

- If your joint hurts (like your knee), just stop for a moment. Don't keep going at half-pace or half-effort. Stop, re-assess your form and pain, and then maybe scale it down.

- Don't be afraid to switch up the weights or do exercises without weights if you have to! And don't ever sacrifice form.

- Push-ups: Oh they suck a lot. And I once had to work up to 50 pushups for an exam! If your wrists hurt, try doing them on your knuckles, all hard-core like. :-) They'll be more difficult, but easier on the wrists. After you reach your limit for pushups on your knees, try to hold a plank position or recover in child's pose.

Can you tell I'm obsessed with joints? :-)
  • smalacarne
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, very helpful :)
  • agent85
    agent85 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    ive already done levels 1 and 2 and my number 1 tip is: its ok to pause the dvd and catch your breath. jillian says no rest, but unless you're superhuman like her you will need to stop every now and then just to breathe. just dont pause too long and dont sit down cause you might not be able to get back up! lol. and no matter how long it takes ALWAYS FINISH IT! it will give you that wonderful feeling of accomplishment and make you want to keep going.
  • katy_jane_2013
    Options
    hi just wondering how you logged the 30ds?? circuit training or there seems to be a 30 day shred but i dont know if its the correct amount ? any tips plz :smile:
  • Jade2240
    Jade2240 Posts: 162
    Options
    The farthest I've gotten is level two last summer but I do have a couple tips that really helped me

1-keep a water bottle close
    2-use a yoga mat if your on a hard floor and wear shoes
    3-if you have a small fan you may turn it on, this helped me
    A lot last summer as it gets HOT
    4-don't give up!! I know my head tells me about ten minutes
    In "I just want to quit! I'm tired" but once I finish I am so proud!
    5-the same words over and over can get annoying
    After I got used to what she was going to say, I turned the volume down
    And turned my own music on.
    Good luck tomorow everyone!
    Ps-don't try and workout if you haven't eaten breakfast yet!
  • muroo
    Options
    The farthest I've gotten is level two last summer but I do have a couple tips that really helped me

1-keep a water bottle close
    2-use a yoga mat if your on a hard floor and wear shoes
    3-if you have a small fan you may turn it on, this helped me
    A lot last summer as it gets HOT
    4-don't give up!! I know my head tells me about ten minutes
    In "I just want to quit! I'm tired" but once I finish I am so proud!
    5-the same words over and over can get annoying
    After I got used to what she was going to say, I turned the volume down
    And turned my own music on.
    Good luck tomorow everyone!
    Ps-don't try and workout if you haven't eaten breakfast yet!

Oh yeah, music! I usually leave the video on my laptop off to the side and then just keep watching TV. :-)
  • MrsV1983
    MrsV1983 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    hi just wondering how you logged the 30ds?? circuit training or there seems to be a 30 day shred but i dont know if its the correct amount ? any tips plz :smile:

Your best bet is to wear a heart rate monitor and create a new exercise in MFP and logging the calories your HRM says. I don't have one so I use the general rule of thumb that you burn about 10 calories per minute when doing high-intensity aerobics (then I subtract a few here and there). So I log the 30DS between 250-300 depending on how hard I pushed.

PS - If you search the forums, this has been asked a lot and there are so many different answers. I guess just pick the one that makes the most sense to you :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/768863-30ds-heres-how-to-calculate-calories-burned

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/722317-jillian-michaels-formula-for-calories-burned
  • muroo
    Options
    Oh also I like to keep my big balance ball around for the plain crunches and the chest fly. For the chest fly it should be kind of around your shoulder blades and you engage your glutes to get the torso flat.
  • christinelyn
    christinelyn Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I mute the volume and play my own music.
  • butterrum13
    butterrum13 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Agree that it's best to use a HRM, but I don't have one. I log it as 20 minutes of circuit training.
  • sweetu24
    sweetu24 Posts: 21
    Options
    My whole body is sore. I can't sit or walk properly. Tips and suggestions needed to get rid off the pain.
  • caranais
    caranais Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hi, drink a protein shake, take an anti-inflammatory tablet, and try and stretch gently if you can. It does get better. (I hadn't done proper exercise for years, and was very sore first day. My son who is very fit and sporty advised me to drink a protein shake after it helps to repair muscle damage apparently), I don't like them, but got it down, and it did help. Hang in there xxx
  • muroo
    Options
    Hi, drink a protein shake, take an anti-inflammatory tablet, and try and stretch gently if you can. It does get better. (I hadn't done proper exercise for years, and was very sore first day. My son who is very fit and sporty advised me to drink a protein shake after it helps to repair muscle damage apparently), I don't like them, but got it down, and it did help. Hang in there xxx

I once read that chocolate milk is a near perfect post-workout drink. :) carbs+protein!