Pesach Goodies Recipes and Ideas

Options
shmulyeng
shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
Today I was discussing with my wife what I will snack on over Pesach. In the past it was mostly home made cake and deserts. Since I prefer to eat homemade food on Pesach, any ideas would be appreciated.

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Right, the cakes and candies are sugar, fat and calorie bombs. It's hard.

Last year I got quinoa with a Pesach hechsher. After we burned the oven out, I soaked and baked it, and used it like granola in yogurt for breakfast. The oven became fleishig after that, but for a brief time, I had a pareve oven. If you buy fresh coconut and flake it, you can add that to the granola, along with whatever nuts you want to use.

I also make a pear apple sauce, but you can use whatever fruits you like, of course. We get fresh fruits for fruit salad - like pineapple, melons and kiwi. Again, use what you like.

We eat a lot of nuts, of course. And I make a cookie with them, too - it's just nuts, sugar and eggs IIRC.

I've had excellent luck with "ice cream" made with passion fruits, too.
  • shmulyeng
    Options
    Right, the cakes and candies are sugar, fat and calorie bombs. It's hard.

Last year I got quinoa with a Pesach hechsher. After we burned the oven out, I soaked and baked it, and used it like granola in yogurt for breakfast. The oven became fleishig after that, but for a brief time, I had a pareve oven.

That sounds good. I have to find out if my Rabbi allows quinoa. I heard some do and some don't.
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    Right, if I can't get quinoa, it means I need something else for breakfast.
  • David_273
    David_273 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Nuts are all very high in calories. The OU is giving a hechsher on quinoa this year.
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    I make meringues too, but they're all sugar. At least the nuts have protein in them.
  • shmulyeng
    Options
    I make meringues too, but they're all sugar. At least the nuts have protein in them.

I was thinking about meringues. While it might not be a very filling snack, calorie-wise it might not be too bad.
  • shmulyeng
    Options
    Nuts are all very high in calories. The OU is giving a hechsher on quinoa this year.

The issue with quinoa isn't so much the hschsher. The problem is many people don't eat it because of kitniyos.
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    OK. I guess we are back to your original question, then. What are we going to nosh on? Cut up cucumbers?
  • shmulyeng
    Options
    OK. I guess we are back to your original question, then. What are we going to nosh on? Cut up cucumbers?

I don't mind cucumbers but it does sound pretty depressing.
  • paprikas
    paprikas Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Last year we were able to get amaranth, which is apparently a plant and not a grain. It was puffed and tasted like styrofoam but who cares, because its full of protein, very healthy and I ate it with yoghurt, fruit and honey for breakfast each morning. Now I dont know if we will be able to get it in Australia this year, but you in the land of OU should be able to source it... Highly recommended!
  • David_273
    Options
    The OU says quinoa is not kitniyot this year. Just ask your local rabbi and see what he says.
  • David_273
    Options
    All you need to know about quinoa on Pesach http://www.torahmusings.com/2014/04/the-use-of-quinoa-on-pesach/