Newbie, hypothyroid and trying to lose weight!

Options
zepherly
zepherly Posts: 6 Member
Hi everyone. I've actually been on this site for a while but only recently decided that I really want to work harder at losing weight. So i'm 21 and I've had hypothyroidism since I was little. When I was about 7 years old I started to gain weight and began to experience loss of appetite. My mom's a doctor so she was able to see that something was wrong. However it took a while to arrive at my diagnosis because like most 7 year olds I hated getting shots and blood tests. After finding the correct dosage of levothyroxine and a few months of taking my medication regularly, I was a pretty healthy child. Throughout middle school and high school I was pretty fit and felt great. I'm short about 5'1 and weighed about 100-110 pounds at the time. Over the past 3 years I've been gaining weight probably because I don't eat right or exercise much, as well as problems with absorption of levothyroxine. I weigh 130 pounds now and I would really like to lose about 20 pounds over the next 5-6 months.
I don't want hypothyroidism to be my excuse. I really want to work hard to become more fit and live a healthier lifestyle.
I would love some advice about weight loss plans and whether diet or exercise is more important. And also are there any do's and don'ts specifically related to trying to lose weight with hypothyroidism?
:smile:

Replies

• tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in May 2012 with the condition. I used MFP to log my food and went to Planet Fitness 5 times a week. I started off as 238 lbs with a 41 inch waist. I am now 211 lbs with a 32.5 inch waist.
    My biggest gain was from when I went from 50 mg of Levothyroxine to 75 mg of the drug. I had a definite change after that. My body looked different. The goal I would say is to measure yourself once a week. Get a tape measure and be honest with yourself. See how your mood is. Hypothyroid can make one depressed. With an increase of exercise and the meds, one will feel better. I hope this helps.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Over the past 3 years I've been gaining weight probably because I don't eat right or exercise much, as well as problems with absorption of levothyroxine. I weigh 130 pounds now and I would really like to lose about 20 pounds over the next 5-6 months.
    Take Synthroid on an empty stomach with a full glass of water. Wait at least 1 hour before eating or drinking anything but water. Wait at least 3 more hours before taking any supplements: vitamins, minerals, or fiber.

At your size, a healthy weight-loss goal is .5 lb. per week. I have Hashimoto's, and I lost way more slowly than most MFPers. So be patient!

Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • zepherly
    Options
    Thank you both! I will definitely try to follow through with your suggestions!
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    FYI, it took me a whole year to lose 20 lb. Everybody's different, so maybe you can make your goal of 5–6 months. But if you don't, it's not because "ur doing it wrong." Celebrate however many pounds you lose by then, and keep going!
  • charleigh78
    charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    My body will only hoard weight on levothyroxine. I would count calories, work out, etc and I just couldn't lose. I even tried W Watchers with no luck. Since switching to Armour, I have lost 16 pounds and I am not hyperthyroid. In fact, my labs indicate that I need to bump my dose up, but my doc wants to give me more time to adjust and check again.
  • soupandlettuce
    soupandlettuce Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hey we could be twins (except I'm much older). I'm 5'1" and hypo too. My weight crept up to almost 150! I am on armour now and am down to 125. My goal is 110-115 or whenever my blood sugar becomes comfortably in the normal range. The medication tends to increase blood sugar a bit, and I am just at a borderline a1c number right now.
    I lost at about 1lb a week as soon as my dose was stable. Before that I couldn't lose more than a pound a month on a vlcd!
    Right now I am at 1500 cals a day, losing 1/2 lb a week and that's good enough. I could eat more if I exercised more so I need to work on that.

Eta: oh and I guess that answers your question! First get your dosage right otherwise nothing will work, then it's mainly about the diet to lose the weight and lastly exercise will enable you to eat a bit more. However, synthroid didn't work for me so I'm happy to be on armour.
  • zepherly
    Options
    hi thank you all for your advice and for sharing your stories! What's the difference between armour and levothyroxine? I used to take levoxyl and it worked well for years but since it was taken off the market, i've been using a different brand which isn't working quite as well maybe due to a difference in the inactive substances, affecting the absorption of the drug. I've had to go from 100mcg to 125mcg but overall everything seems okay. I think I've gained weight because I don't eat right or exercise enough, but why is it that weight loss proved easier with armour?
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    in to follow (I'm also on Levothyroxine)
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Synthroid (levothyroxine sodium) is T4. Cytomel (liothyronine sodium) is T3. Armour (aka Naturethroid) is powdered pork (or mixed pork & beef) thyroid glands, which contain T4, T3, diiodothyronine (T2), monoiodothyronine (T1), and calcitonin.

Many doctors in the US are anti-Armour &/or anti-Cytomel. It took me 20 months to persuade my endocrinologist to prescribe Cytomel—my T4 & TSH are fine on Synthroid, but my T3 is really low. I never asked about Armour because of the pig &/or cow thing.

Edited to add that my endo prefers to regulate my dosage (now dosages) based solely on lab results. (I'm tested every 3 months.) It's my understanding that Armour dosage is based on symptoms in addition to (or sometimes even instead of) labs.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I think editorgrrl got the basics of the difference. Armor/nature-throid is from natural dessicated thyroid -- of either pigs or cows - so in addition to T4, it also has T3 and the other thyroid hormones. My doc says that he doesn't necessarily know why some patients respond better to it, but that they merely do -- he's found in his practice this to be particularly true for those with autoimmune thyroid issues like Hashi's.

Natural dessicate thyroid has been around for a long time and is what they originally treated hypo with before the synthetics were invented. The con against them is that their not as consistent or pure as the synthetics, but this is greatly debated. Some say this is no longer the case and the difference is now negligible. Others say that a lot of endos get kickback from synthroid and the drug companies, so they're biased in that direction. Personally, I think it's probably a little bit of all those things.

I think you can dose either based on meds/bloodwork, but the type of docs that tend to prescribe their patients Armour/Nature-throid (or you don't have to super fight them over it) tend to have a more holistic view of the patient. That, essentially, the patient is more than his/her lab results and they recognize that those certain things may be "within range", they may not be optimal for any given patient, so looking to clinical symptoms is just as important, if not more so, than blood tests. After all, how many would be going to their doctors for thyroid treatment at all if they didn't have any symptoms? At least, that's my doc's view. Blood tests are important, but their only one weapon in the arsenal and that clinical symptoms should be given considerable weight as well.
  • zepherly
    Options
    thanks lindsey1979 and editorgrrl!