atkins newbie, need motivation & TIPSS !! :)

Options
Hi everyone, I'm 20, 5'10 currently weighing 123 KG/271 lbs. I've been on waaayy too many diets and my weight has been on a roller-coaster but since january I've been properly on it again and tried incorporating Herbalife in my low fat diet and going to the gym 3-4 times a week.

I'm aiming to loose about 38 KG/84 lbs in 4-6 months (4 months preferably as I will be going to Ibiza in july lol) I've managed to loose 7 KG/15 lbs so far but for all the effort that I'm putting in I don't find it rewarding. I've come across Atkins quite a few times and I've finally decided to give this a go. I've ordered my groceries today and will be delivered tomorrow.

Does anyone have specific tips regarding cravings and snacks for me? And I still have a membership at the gym, would you still recommend going to the gym the first few months (if so, how many times a week)? I'm a bit nervous going to the gym on this diet to be honest since I won't be having any carbs so I probably won't have allot of energy.

Anyway I really want this to work, I kind off see this as a last resort to be honest. I've gained about 30 KG/66 lbs in 2 years and it seems like it keeps piling on.

All tips & motivation are more than welcome !!!

My food diary for the first few days will look like :

Morning:
2 eggs, 1 egg white
30 gr cheddar cheese
1-2 Turkey sausage

Lunch:
1 table spoon mayo
1/2 tea spoon mustard powder
sea salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper
2-3 hearts of romaine lettuce
1/2 cucumber
shredded baked chicken

Dinner:
200-250 gr cauliflower & Broccoli mix
or
200 gr of spinach and mushrooms
2 regular baked chicken thighs (marinated in lemon, garlic, olive oil, paprika, cayenne pepper and oregano)

Snack:

Homemade Spicy tomato soup
(tomato paste, beef tomatoes, sea salt, 5 Scottish bonnet chilli, chicken thigh, tilapia or beef, onions, garlic)

Is this atkins friendly? are there some meals that need to be altered?

Thanks everyone

Replies

• Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I would be starved half to death on this and it would take too long to get into ketosis for my preference, too. If you could swap out some chicken for some steak it might help.

I posted in the other thread here about old versus new Atkins. Again, if you can, it would really help to get the older version of the Atkins book. Library might have it if you don't feel like buying it.

Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (2002 or prior versions)
  • florenciagysbertha
    florenciagysbertha Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would be starved half to death on this and it would take too long to get into ketosis for my preference, too. If you could swap out some chicken for some steak it might help.

I posted in the other thread here about old versus new Atkins. Again, if you can, it would really help to get the older version of the Atkins book. Library might have it if you don't feel like buying it.

what does ketosis mean ? Alright I will have a look for it today thanks
  • candy102389
    Options
    Hello,
    I follow a diet close to Atkins and seen good results. Ketosis is when your body is using stored fat as energy which is where the weight loss comes from. the first 3 days try not to eat veggie or fruit, stick to meat and cheese. This will help your body switch over to start burning fat. Then I would add green veggies and if you hold off or limit yourself to 1 fruit a day you will see results faster. It is important that you drink a gallon of water and take a multivitamin to make sure your body is still getting the nutrients it needs. According to the atkins book you should be eating more than 20 carbs during induction which is the phase you lose the most weight,. Personally I have been doing 8 ounces of either chicken, turkey, cheese. or 1 egg=1oz and 4-5 ounces of red meat steak/ ground beef and 2 cups of veggies a day to me salad like are freebies and so is sugar free jello. I would definitely moderate the diet and find what works for you. Also make sure you have a food scale. It is a hard diet but it can be rewarding if you are strict and follow the steps. Hope this helped.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes are generally not something I would eat a lot of in the induction phase.

Overall it looks good...but make sure you are eating enough fat. Cheese, butter, oil, and meat should all be part of your diet and don't be afraid of them. When you aren't eating carbs, you need to make sure you're eating fats for energy.

I never had an issue with working out and cutting carbs...just make sure you're still eating enough calories and fat.
  • florenciagysbertha
    Options
    Tomatoes are generally not something I would eat a lot of in the induction phase.

Overall it looks good...but make sure you are eating enough fat. Cheese, butter, oil, and meat should all be part of your diet and don't be afraid of them. When you aren't eating carbs, you need to make sure you're eating fats for energy.

I never had an issue with working out and cutting carbs...just make sure you're still eating enough calories and fat.

Alright Thanks :) I will try to find a better snack option
  • florenciagysbertha
    Options
    Hello,
    I follow a diet close to Atkins and seen good results. Ketosis is when your body is using stored fat as energy which is where the weight loss comes from. the first 3 days try not to eat veggie or fruit, stick to meat and cheese. This will help your body switch over to start burning fat. Then I would add green veggies and if you hold off or limit yourself to 1 fruit a day you will see results faster. It is important that you drink a gallon of water and take a multivitamin to make sure your body is still getting the nutrients it needs. According to the atkins book you should be eating more than 20 carbs during induction which is the phase you lose the most weight,. Personally I have been doing 8 ounces of either chicken, turkey, cheese. or 1 egg=1oz and 4-5 ounces of red meat steak/ ground beef and 2 cups of veggies a day to me salad like are freebies and so is sugar free jello. I would definitely moderate the diet and find what works for you. Also make sure you have a food scale. It is a hard diet but it can be rewarding if you are strict and follow the steps. Hope this helped.

Thank youu !! That's really helpful :)
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Except there is a typo in it. According to the Atkins book you should NOT be eating more than 20 grams of carbs a day. I'm sure that is what was meant.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

what does ketosis mean ? Alright I will have a look for it today thanks

If you're doing Atkins then you need to be in ketosis to lose weight. I think you don't have a solid grasp on Atkins just yet. :wink: Read the book (I prefer the original version, not the 2002 but it's a personal preference) so you know how the macros work. You don't do low calorie and Atkins. It's not how Atkins or ketogenic diets work. I also think you may be eating too many carbs for Induction.

Nutritional ketosis is what happens you restrict carbs significantly so that the body changes from relying on glycogen as its main source of energy to relying on fat.