Salt?

Options
runningjen74
runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
Does anyone worry about salt? I don't, or at least didn't. But I'm just reading Cordains book (yes I know, I'm late to the party) and he goes on about it a lot.

I eat a little bacon. I'm not perfect all the time. But really I haven't considered it up until now. If I'm grilling a steak or pork chops I'll put on a bit of salt, but not on a roast. If I'm making stew / soup I rarely add it. So I guess on average it's not something I add much of.

Any strong opinions?

Replies

• karen1105mfp
    karen1105mfp Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Not a strong opinion, just a comment. I don't worry about salt that much, but I did make the switch from table salt to primarily using Himalayan pink salt or sea salt. If you are a regular exerciser, you probably sweat out a lot, so I wouldn't be too concerned.
    Side note: I had too much with my lunch today so I will definitely plan to sweat a lot in my cycle class tonight! :bigsmile:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't think Dr. Cordain is the best resource. He was the first resource I found when I first was exploring Paleo and his low fat stance scared me off immediately. Low fat is a big fail for me. I'm glad that I found other information a few years later and here I am for 20 mostly happy months. (See the pinned "Recommended Reading" for a bunch of great resources.)

I use different kinds of natural sea salts; most often Celtic and Himalayan. I don't limit it at all, nor do I think most people should. Interestingly, my salt intake is much lower now that I don't eat processed foods and that's with salting everything liberally with sea salt. To make up for iodine possibly being deficient in my diet I have been learning to eat sea vegetables.

I have strong opinions about everything! Not always loved by all, but it's the way I roll. :wink:
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I always check labels and but the lower sodium option if it is available. I do use kosher salt for cooking but I don't usually salt my food after it is done cooking. I think excess sodium is something we all should watch out for and avoid.
  • runningjen74
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the input. I'm going to track out of interest for a while....but given I mostly try to avoid processed stuff and I work out pretty hard every other day, I'm going to go with I'm just fine :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the input. I'm going to track out of interest for a while....but given I mostly try to avoid processed stuff and I work out pretty hard every other day, I'm going to go with I'm just fine :)

People following this lifestyle who are careful to avoid processed foods sometimes do not get enough salt. I know that is different than everything we've ever been told, but our bodies do need sodium and the other trace minerals. Go by your tastes and use the best quality salt. You can trust your body to tell you how much salt to eat. Contrary to what we have been told, natural salts are not a CAUSE of disease.
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

People following this lifestyle who are careful to avoid processed foods sometimes do not get enough salt. I know that is different than everything we've ever been told, but our bodies do need sodium and the other trace minerals. Go by your tastes and use the best quality salt. You can trust your body to tell you how much salt to eat. Contrary to what we have been told, natural salts are not a CAUSE of disease.

This is true! I had this problem. When I was eating really clean I would get heart palpitations and it was determined that they were being caused by my healthy diet. Weird right? The cardiologist I saw recommended daily intake of Gatorade, 2-4 ounces. I did some more research and found that good quality sea salt would do the same thing as the Gatorade and choose to just ad dmore salt to my food. The cardiologist agreed.

I do think that if you are eating minimal processed food it is highly unlikely that you are consuming too much sodium.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

This is true! I had this problem. When I was eating really clean I would get heart palpitations and it was determined that they were being caused by my healthy diet. Weird right? The cardiologist I saw recommended daily intake of Gatorade, 2-4 ounces. I did some more research and found that good quality sea salt would do the same thing as the Gatorade and choose to just ad dmore salt to my food. The cardiologist agreed.

I do think that if you are eating minimal processed food it is highly unlikely that you are consuming too much sodium.

What a messed up society we live in when Gatorade is recommended instead of plain old natural salt. It's awesome that you took the advice with a grain of salt. Literally. :wink:
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Bahahahah! Touche!

I don't worry about it that much. The chicken I have hanging out in the crock pot today is sprinkled I'd say "liberally" with salt, pepper and smoked paprika but neither my hubs or I will add salt later. The only thing I really salt is white potatoes for my hubs (non-Paleo, Irish man) because if I don't he says they taste like dirt.

I look at chemicals and crap ingredients mostly.
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Way back when, a few years ago. when I stopped eating processed foods my tongue simply let me in on needing more salt. I used to be light handed with the salt but noticed I wanted a lot more on my foods. Now, 3 years later, I have figured out how much to use during cooking and we rarely salt at the table. I love how our bodies just let us in on what we need, if we pay attention enough to listen :)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I have blood pressure issues, so I don't salt my food very often. When I do, I use Himalayan pink salt. I also have a tendency to run low on sodium (especially when I'm drinking a lot of water and training hard). I watch my quarterly blood tests and adjust my salt intake accordingly.

I have been wondering if I'm getting enough iodine and am investigating ways I can be sure I do without reverting to table salt.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I have blood pressure issues, so I don't salt my food very often. When I do, I use Himalayan pink salt. I also have a tendency to run low on sodium (especially when I'm drinking a lot of water and training hard). I watch my quarterly blood tests and adjust my salt intake accordingly.

I have been wondering if I'm getting enough iodine and am investigating ways I can be sure I do without reverting to table salt.

Are you certain that salt causes/aggravates high blood pressure? It just seems to me that with what I've read/experienced it's yet another substance that has been erroneously blamed as a cause of disease, when there are many, many other factors that are more likely culprits. With Paleo people I have often heard of sodium deficiency and it seems to surprise people that it's even possible to be sodium-deficient.

I think you should be able to listen to your body instead of trying to avoid salt and then having to carefully monitor your sodium levels to know when to have some. But that's just my opinion and I do not have personal experience with high blood pressure except during pregnancy. (I used to eat a TON of iodized table salt in addition to a highly processed food diet and always had LOW blood pressure.)

Add sea vegetables into your diet for iodine; just be careful where they originate from.
  • runningjen74
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks for inputs on salt. I've started tracking, just out of interest, but have not changed habits. Still add a bit when I want, but it's not that often, just based on when I need/want it.

But...Interesting article from Chris Kresser today.

http://chriskresser.com/shaking-up-the-salt-myth-the-dangers-of-salt-restriction?kme=CK.com AR/Why Restricting Salt May Cause More Harm Than Good
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks for inputs on salt. I've started tracking, just out of interest, but have not changed habits. Still add a bit when I want, but it's not that often, just based on when I need/want it.

But...Interesting article from Chris Kresser today.

http://chriskresser.com/shaking-up-the-salt-myth-the-dangers-of-salt-restriction?kme=CK.com AR/Why Restricting Salt May Cause More Harm Than Good
    Interesting article,thanks for sharing
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I always check labels and but the lower sodium option if it is available. I do use kosher salt for cooking but I don't usually salt my food after it is done cooking. I think excess sodium is something we all should watch out for and avoid.

Why?

Sodium is an essential electrolyte, and when you don't eat heavily processed foods, you actually run the risk of being deficient in it. When you get low on sodium, your body starts chewing through potassium, then calcium and magnesium, which can really screw with your body (including causing bone density issues).

I remember when my son was really little, when we were first introducing him to solids. I made all of his baby food, so there was no added salt and very little sodium overall. We actually had to add in salt sources, because his sodium levels were low enough that it was disrupting his ability to sleep.
  • ascrit
    Options

Why?

Sodium is an essential electrolyte, and when you don't eat heavily processed foods, you actually run the risk of being deficient in it. When you get low on sodium, your body starts chewing through potassium, then calcium and magnesium, which can really screw with your body (including causing bone density issues).

I remember when my son was really little, when we were first introducing him to solids. I made all of his baby food, so there was no added salt and very little sodium overall. We actually had to add in salt sources, because his sodium levels were low enough that it was disrupting his ability to sleep.

I felt better once I starting restricting my sodium intake. That's why.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Why?

I think the question here is what's considered "excess," especially in the context of a whole foods diet (and possibly one that's lower in carbs), which likely doesn't have much in the way of sodium in general, unless it was added. I'd venture to guess that eating a lot of food with labels to begin with may be a larger contributor to one's sodium intake than adding salts to homemade dishes.
  • ascrit
    Options

Why?

I think the question here is what's considered "excess," especially in the context of a whole foods diet (and possibly one that's lower in carbs), which likely doesn't have much in the way of sodium in general, unless it was added. I'd venture to guess that eating a lot of food with labels to begin with may be a larger contributor to one's sodium intake than adding salts to homemade dishes.
    I think you are right on the money with this last part. Processed food contains an insane amount of salt. That being said, while I cook with salt I still feel like limiting my sodium intake is the best way for me to feel...my best.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    i think adding salt is excess , sodium occuring naturally in foods is fine enough for sodium requirements IMO.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    i think adding salt is excess , sodium occuring naturally in foods is fine enough for sodium requirements IMO.

That would be correct when talking about the Standard American Diet. However, trace minerals would still be deficient. When one is eating all fresh, unprocessed food one can actually become deficient in sodium. There is a reason that humans at one time treasured natural salt more than gold; we actually had to seek out salt deposits at one time, just like wild animals still do. Adding natural, unprocessed salt in response to how much the body is craving is the right thing to do and we should not ignore our body trying to obey the "salt is bad" propaganda. It's just like so many things that we have been told about nutrition by mainstream sources; much over-simplified and often just plain wrong.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options

That would be correct when talking about the Standard American Diet. However, trace minerals would still be deficient. When one is eating all fresh, unprocessed food one can actually become deficient in sodium. There is a reason that humans at one time treasured natural salt more than gold; we actually had to seek out salt deposits at one time, just like wild animals still do. Adding natural, unprocessed salt in response to how much the body is craving is the right thing to do and we should not ignore our body trying to obey the "salt is bad" propaganda. It's just like so many things that we have been told about nutrition by mainstream sources; much over-simplified and often just plain wrong.

"Salt is bad" is not the same as "too much salt is bad". While you are right in a general sense, the fact is modern food is riddled with much more salt than the little amounts that were commonly added 'at one time'. While you may be right in listening to a body's craving - doing that presumes the body is craving a normal amount of salt to begin with, and I posit that most people who were raised on the SAD were trained to desire much more salt than is healthy. My stepson used to drive me crazy - he'd even salt his bacon because "it wasn't salty enough".

Seasoning foods generally will not provide too much salt for a diet - unless you are having problems with hypertension or edema (or other types of water retention), in which case you need to be a little more diligent.

Oh, and one last thought: the problem is not SALT, it's SODIUM intake. Sodium chloride may be the biggest offender but eaters of cured meats also ingest sodium nitrates/nitrites, and in addition there are a bunch of other sodium compounds (baking soda, preservatives) also added.

If one is eating a whole foods, organic diet - one with a minimum of processed foods - they do not have to worry about the amount of salt used to season their meals. If one is eating a LOT of cured meats (bacon ham, sausages, etc) they may wish to review their eating. If one is eating processed/manufactured foods - well they got more problems than just salt, eh?