Help...Paleo Pizza Base =Very High Calories??

Utahgirl12
Utahgirl12 Posts: 172 Member
Hi, I'm very new to Primal/Paelo/low carb and am looking to make a low carb pizza base. I have my almond flour ready to make it tomorrow, but when I've tried putting the ingredients into MFP for tomorrows diary I'm finding the cals super scary and it's putting me off as it's putting me way over my limit.

Most recipes suggest 100 or 150g of almond flour. Any idea how big a pizza those amounts would make? Maybe it they make a huge pizza so I need to half the cals etc. I do love pizza though so don't just want a tiny slice!

Any advice gratefully received, especially if you have a tried and tested pizza base recipe using ground almonds/

Loving the group by the way!

Lucy

Replies

• tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Any advice gratefully received, especially if you have a tried and tested pizza base recipe using ground almonds/

I haven't tried the almond flour crust but this is from a post I just put up on the Keto board. I LOVE the cauli-crust pizza. I've always been a fan of thin crust, and this is so good w/ a bunch of Mediterranean toppings like spinach, artichoke hearts, feta, black olives. But works just as well w/ Canadian bacon & pineapple or pepperoni and sausage.

From Keto board post:
    Cauliflower Pizza Crust (pre-made)
    I adore the cauliflower pizza crust when I want pizza, but they are a bit labor intensive and messy to make. I like to keep a stash of pre-made crusts in the freezer so I have a go-to when I'm tempted to hit the speed dial on my phone for Domino's. Several recipes can be found online. Suggestions: 1) "Rice" your cauliflower using a blender or food processor and cook the riced bits in a microwave steamer bag (Ziploc makes some). 2) Once cooked well, turn it out onto cheesecloth or clean dish towel over a bowl to drain off liquid. Once it's cool enough to handle, wrap the cheesecloth/towel tight and SQUEEZE until no more liquid comes out. This makes a huge difference in your end product. 3) Bake on parchment paper for a no-stick easy release from pan. Once all your crusts have cooked and cooled, wrap individually in plastic wrap (I double wrap) and then store all in a large freezer bag. When you are ready for pizza night, pop one out of the freezer and let thaw on the counter for 45 minutes or so, then top with whatever floats your boat. Pop in oven on a pizza stone for about 15-20 minutes and it's almost as easy as a regular frozen pizza or delivery would be! I make 6-8 crusts at a time and it's well worth the effort to have them on hand.

The recipe I like (makes 3 crusts):

2 cups riced, cooked cauliflower
    2 large eggs
    1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
    1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1.5 tsp ground oregano
    1 TBSP olive oil
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1 TBSP dried parsley

Mix all and divide among 3 parchment paper lined pizza pans. Each crust will be apprx. 9 inches. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes. Let cool and either top immediately and bake at 450 for about 15-20 minutes OR wrap and freeze for later use.
    Nutrition facts for each crust: 289 Calories, 8 grams carb, 18 grams fat, 25 grams protein, 2 grams fiber
  • Utahgirl12
    Thanks so much. Will definitely try this. x
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Yes the cauliflower crust will go a lot further in the solid nutrition area too, nut shouldn't be consumed at that rate. I also have a recipe for the cauliflower crust that calls for "nutritional yeast" but I never used it on mine and I am not sure it is considered Paleo, but it is supposed to add an element that makes it taste more bread-ish...
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    I've made both the almond crust and the cauliflower crust.
    I like the almond crust better because you can actually pick it up and eat it with your hands.

I noticed something interesting with the almond flour crust. I use the recipe to make 2 individual sized pizzas instead of 1 regular sized pizza. I couldn't finish half of one. The nut flour version is VERY filling. So while it is higher in calories, I doubt you'd be able to eat the same amount of an almond flour crust as you would the cauliflower crust version.
  • tru2one
    I like the almond crust better because you can actually pick it up and eat it with your hands.

Oh, you can eat the cauli-crust like normal pizza, too! The secret is to make sure you get ALLLLLLLLLLL of the water squeezed out of it before combining w/ the other ingredients. It turns it into this sort of fiber-y blob...not very appealing until mixed w/ the rest of the stuff and baked. lol The first few times I made it, I didn't bother with that step, and yeah, it was more plate and fork material then.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member

Oh, you can eat the cauli-crust like normal pizza, too! The secret is to make sure you get ALLLLLLLLLLL of the water squeezed out of it before combining w/ the other ingredients. It turns it into this sort of fiber-y blob
    Hmmm....I always thought I was getting the water squeezed out, but I didnt end up with a blob, so I probably need to basicaly mash it to death, LOL!
    I'll try it again. the cauli-crust has a really good flavor too, but the lack of crispness was the limiting factor for me. I'll definitely give it another go.
    Thanks!
  • tru2one
    Takes about 8 min in one of those microwave cooking bags (err on side of overcooking) and when it's cooled down you need to do the cheesecloth/dishtowel thing and wring the heck out of it. Before, I was just kind of pushing it into a colander, which did get some excess water out, but the squeezing method got almost a cup of additional liquid out. I started off with around 4 cups of raw cauli, and after cooking/squeezing ended up with 2 cups. So it definitely condenses! lol

It doesn't get totally crispy when cooked, but it definitely holds together much better than my first attempts.
  • Utahgirl12
    Thanks guys....I just made and ate my first one. Ended up making it out of coconut flour as didn't have any cauliflower but will def try that. I made it from this recipe....http://cavemanstrong.com/2011/01/paleo-pizza-crust/ and absolutely loved it.

It had about 550 cals in total, which is the same as the pizza I used to make pre paleo, but the total carbs for this one is 15g as opposed to 72g, so I'm pleased about that. This one definitely fills me up more too, I'm going to make a smaller one next time.....I split the recipe above into 3, but will split it into 4 next time.

Lucy
  • snorred75
    snorred75 Posts: 6 Member
    This is my favorite!!

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cheese_crust_pizza.html

You can pick this up and eat with your hands. My 9 year old even likes it!
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    I love all of Linda's low carb recipes! Especially since she gives such great pointers!!