Nervous for my EGD!

Options
TammyP64
TammyP64 Posts: 52 Member
Hi everyone! New to this group. I'm scheduled to have my EGD tomorrow, and I'm tentatively scheduled for my sleeve the 29th of this month. Just wondering if some of you can tell me your experience with the EGD. I'm kind of nervous!

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I've had this twice. You are asleep while they do it and don't feel or remember a thing. It sounds so much worse than it is. While asleep they insert a tube with a camera on the end that allows them to look at the lining of your esophagus and stomach. It's really a very easy procedure. Hope that helps.
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You won't feel or remember a thing. The only thing you may feel after recovery is a slightly sore throat and this goes away very quickly, and most people don't even have that.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    You will do great! I felt fine after. I even walked myself out of the hospital!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    IV is worst part, you will do great. So one little pinch is about all you will notice.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Don't remember a thing! It's over before you know it. Came out of the anesthesia pretty quickly as well once I was back in recovery. Doc updated me on what he found, a hiatial hernia he repaired during the sleeve procedure and I went home and got some dinner. No biggie. Really.
  • plmelquist
    Options
    Ditto on everything above. The drugs are awesome! You will see them when you go in, before you know it you wake up in recovery. I think the EGD takes about 5 minutes. The most time is pre- and post-. Nothing to be worried about! :)
  • TammyP64
    TammyP64 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Your responses definitely helped me get a better idea of what will be happening. My appointment is at 11:30 this morning and I haven't eaten or drank anything since 8 last. I've been up since 4:30am so the hunger is definitely stating to kick in.
  • merobles827
    Options
    You will be fine, the waiting takes longer the EGD. Try to keep your mind busy so the hunger doesn't get to you. Good Luck and welcome to the group!
  • shoppinglady1972
    shoppinglady1972 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Oh, EGD is a piece of cake!! Doesn't hurt and you won't remember a thing!! (Enjoy la-la land for awhile!!) :smile:
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Does everyone have an EGD?
    I had a swallow test done, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere on my pre-op schedule.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Iknowsaur, I think it's a standard pre-op procedure for everyone.
  • shoppinglady1972
    shoppinglady1972 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have had to have one :huh: , but I had horrible reflux issues before surgery. My surgeon wouldn't have required it otherwise. :smile: