Workplace LCHF Lunches

Options
aeb09
aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
Hi everyone! My first post in the group but I've been using MFP for almost a month. Loving keto, but I'm looking for some new ideas for lunch. I work in an office and would prefer things I don't have to heat in the microwave. Currently I've been bringing the following:

Tuna + mayo, cucumber slices + ranch dressing, mozzarella cheese stick
Salad with super greens, chicken/tuna, cucumber and ranch
Turkey/cheese roll-ups, cucumber slices

Heavy on the cucumbers, I know, but I really like them. I am eating 1400 calories a day and so lunch would preferably be below 400 calories. I've also been netting under 15g carbs daily and would like the continue on that trend.

Any suggestions are really appreciated. Also interested in making new friends here on MFP. :)

Replies

• ixchel78
    ixchel78 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I do a variety of hot and cold. You said you'd rather not microwave, but an egg scramble or crustless quiche with sausage, bacon, zuchini or other low carb veggies and cheese is my go-to.

I also enjoy making salads with a variety of meats, cheeses, boiled egg and olives.

For a change from tuna salad, try chopping up some rotisserie chicken and mixing it with mayo and some of the yellow curry powder and celery. Yum!

Lately I've been doing "unwiches" just using a lettuce wrap with turkey, bacon, avacado and mayo. Or an "antipasto" style lunch of deviled eggs, salami, olives, string cheese and cucumbers soaked in vinegar.

I'm interested to see what other cold options people have for lunch too. It's easy to get tired of the same old.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My go to lunch is a sandwich that I make with my "protein bread" that I make. Similar to oopsie rolls but easier to make and a lot tastier, and they keep well in the fridge & are toastable.

Blend 1 egg/1 ounce of cream cheese & 1 tbsp of either almond flour or flaxmeal ( I prefer flaxmeal) and get yourself a muffin top pan, they are great for this, and throw them in the oven at 375 degrees for about 14 minutes. this makes 2. I usually do it times 3 & make 6 at a time. before I put them in the oven I throw some shredded cheese on top. they are delish!

Today I'm having them with mayo,turkey & havarti. yum!!

They also make nice little pizzas
  • aeb09
    Options
    Thank you both for the suggestions! It can be monotonous to bring the same things, so a variety would be good. I might make some egg muffins this weekend as an option for lunch and different meats in my salads would spice things up a bit. I also definitely need to get some big-leaf lettuce so I can make "wraps" with them rather than just bring roll-ups.

kristafb I made a kind of similar biscuit to your protein bread last weekend that turned out really good. I used one for a pepperoni sandwich the day I made it and then sliced another in half and put it under scrambled eggs for a heart Sunday morning brunch. It's like a low carb mock Red Lobster cheesy biscuit:

3/4c Red Mills almond meal/flour
    3/4c shredded cheddar cheese
    2 organic large brown eggs
    1/2tsp baking powder
    Salt (optional)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Lay parchment paper on a baking sheet and spoon 4 even mounds of the mixture out. Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Make sure you let them sit at least 5 minutes before trying to slice them for a sandwich!

Serves 4. Nutrition per serving: 258 calories, 3g net carbs, 22g fat, 13g protein, 1g sugar.
  • TattooTwinset
    Options
    On Sunday I prepare a meal for my GF and I to parse out for lunches for the week. I try to mix it up:
    Pizza Quiche
    Southwestern Spicy Soup
    Shredded Pork
    Shredded Chicken
    Spicy Italian Sausage soup
    Jalapeno Popper Quiche
    Stuffed Sweet Peppers
    Brats and Greens
    Chicken/Tuna Salad
    Inside out Cordon Bleu
    Low Carb Monte Cristo
    Alfredo Quiche
    Chicken/beef Vegetable soup/stew
    If you would like any of the recipes, let me know. Usually I end up doubling our recipes bc I am feeding both of us for the week, but most of them make 4-5 servings. Edited to say: I microwave most of these and at the servings I eat they add up to more than 400 typically, but not by much, so you could parse them into smaller servings and they would be less. Also, I add all my recipes into MFP after calculating them through a nutrition/recipe calculator on about.com so they are available to search on this site for food tracking purposes. :)
  • TattooTwinset
    Options
    Also, and this is just a question I promise. Why are you watching calories AND Carbs. (I do it too, I eat no more than 1600/day) I've just found most people who do LCHF don't.
  • ixchel78
    ixchel78 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Going to have to try those protein bread recipes for sure! Thanks ladies!
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Deviled eggs
    Shirataki noodle salad - you can add a peanut sauce to make it even more interesting
    Adult "lunchable" - I pack strips of LC tortilla or flax crackers and toppings like cheddar, mayonnaise, turkey, mayonnaise, tomato sauce, pepperoni, and peanut butter. Lots of flavor combinations, and it's super delicious.
    Chicken salad - on bed of greens, in a LC wrap, tucked in celery sticks
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Also, and this is just a question I promise. Why are you watching calories AND Carbs. (I do it too, I eat no more than 1600/day) I've just found most people who do LCHF don't.
    I also watch calories and carbs (as well as fat and protein).
    I have a weight loss goal as well as health goals. Overeating (albeit on better foods) is something I want to avoid.
    To lose weight, I'm eating at a deficit as well as limiting carbs. :smile:
  • GabyBaby916
    Options
    My go to lunch is a sandwich that I make with my "protein bread" that I make. Similar to oopsie rolls but easier to make and a lot tastier, and they keep well in the fridge & are toastable.

Blend 1 egg/1 ounce of cream cheese & 1 tbsp of either almond flour or flaxmeal ( I prefer flaxmeal) and get yourself a muffin top pan, they are great for this, and throw them in the oven at 375 degrees for about 14 minutes. this makes 2. I usually do it times 3 & make 6 at a time. before I put them in the oven I throw some shredded cheese on top. they are delish!

Do these taste "eggy"? I am looking for a really good bread substitute that doesnt take a lot of ingredients, but does NOT taste like egg.

Thanks!
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Loving keto, but I'm looking for some new ideas for lunch. I work in an office and would prefer things I don't have to heat in the microwave.

Broccoli Salad

3 cups broccoli florets
    10 slices crisped, crumbled bacon
    1/4 sunflower seeds
    1/2 cup Vidalia or other sweet/mild onion
    (recipe calls for 1/2 cup raisins, but that jacks the carb count up)

Combine above ingredients. Toss in dressing of:
    1 cup mayo
    2 TBSP splenda (or SF sweetener of choice)
    3 TBSP apple cider vinegar

Makes about 6 servings. Nutrition facts (w/o raisins): Cal 388, Carbs 9, Fat 35, Protein 11, Fiber 6

BLT Wraps or salad
    Slather a large romaine leaf w/ mayo and add strips of bacon and slices of tomato. Or, chop romaine and add diced tomato and crumbled bacon. Toss w/ mayo.

Pork rinds and homemade guacamole

Smoked salmon spread on cucumber slices

Greek style quiche (good cold)
    Chopped spinach, feta cheese, onion, mushroom, diced ham, mozzarella & parmesan cheese.

Taco salad

Asian Chicken Salad (SO yummy, keeps about 3-4 days, and gets better the longer it "marinates")
    20 oz cooked boneless skinless chicken breast (about 2-3 breasts) Leave skin on for higher fat count, but I don't care for the texture when doing that
    3/4 cup chopped green onion
    1 cup chopped red bell pepper
    3/4 cup chopped celery
    1 TBSP sesame seeds

Combine above then toss w/ dressing of:
    3 TBSP mayo
    3 tsp soy sauce
    1 tsp sesame oil

Makes 4 servings. Nutrition facts per serving: Cal 399, Carb 11, Fat 13, Protein 55, Fiber 2
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Lol, I'm super boring for lunch during the week compared to everyone. Hunk of grilled chicken with some ranch dressing. :bigsmile:
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options

I don't find them overly eggy, much less so than oppsie rolls are, but my friend found them a bit eggy.

Another one I tried for the first time last night is this:

2 tbsp coconut flour
    1 tbsp melted butter
    1 tbsp water
    1 egg
    1/8 tsp cream of tartar
    1/8 tsp baking soda

Mix together, pour into a microwavable dish in the shape you want (i used a square tupperware container)
    Microwave for 1 minute. Its quite cakey, not eggy at all. I made it into a pizza & baked it, it really baked well & was really good!!

Do these taste "eggy"? I am looking for a really good bread substitute that doesnt take a lot of ingredients, but does NOT taste like egg.

Thanks!
  • GabyBaby916
    Options
    I don't find them overly eggy, much less so than oppsie rolls are, but my friend found them a bit eggy.

Another one I tried for the first time last night is this:

2 tbsp coconut flour
    1 tbsp melted butter
    1 tbsp water
    1 egg
    1/8 tsp cream of tartar
    1/8 tsp baking soda

Mix together, pour into a microwavable dish in the shape you want (i used a square tupperware container)
    Microwave for 1 minute. Its quite cakey, not eggy at all. I made it into a pizza & baked it, it really baked well & was really good!!

Thanks! I'll give this one a try. I have a TON of coconut flour. :smile:
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I do lots of things:

* keto lettuce-wraps (chicken salad, ham/mayo/cheese, whatever);
    * snack lunch of gluten-free pepperoni, cheeses, ham, etc.;
    * chicken caesar salad (you only heat the chicken);

But mostly I do have meals prepared in advance and heat them up...
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Wow--I made these this morning from your recipe using almond flour.
    I added a little bacon and onion......they are so tasty!

One tip, I was too inpatient to let the cream cheese soften--I don't suggest this.

Thanks!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    For pure convenience, the Atkins frozen meals are excellent (and very tasty).
  • Utahgirl12
    Utahgirl12 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Commenting so I can find these lovely bread substitute recipes! :tongue:
  • aeb09
    Options

I have pretty severe PCOS and, unfortunately, unless there is a significant calorie restriction the weight won't move. It's really hard to lose weight even with a significant restriction. I'm not hungry usually but I do wish I had 200-300 more calories a day so I could up the fat and have a more substantial lunch. Thank you for the great suggestions, I will definitely either try to find recipes similar or message you!
  • aeb09
    Options
    Loving keto, but I'm looking for some new ideas for lunch. I work in an office and would prefer things I don't have to heat in the microwave.

Broccoli Salad

3 cups broccoli florets
    10 slices crisped, crumbled bacon
    1/4 sunflower seeds
    1/2 cup Vidalia or other sweet/mild onion
    (recipe calls for 1/2 cup raisins, but that jacks the carb count up)

Combine above ingredients. Toss in dressing of:
    1 cup mayo
    2 TBSP splenda (or SF sweetener of choice)
    3 TBSP apple cider vinegar

Makes about 6 servings. Nutrition facts (w/o raisins): Cal 388, Carbs 9, Fat 35, Protein 11, Fiber 6

BLT Wraps or salad
    Slather a large romaine leaf w/ mayo and add strips of bacon and slices of tomato. Or, chop romaine and add diced tomato and crumbled bacon. Toss w/ mayo.

Pork rinds and homemade guacamole

Smoked salmon spread on cucumber slices

Greek style quiche (good cold)
    Chopped spinach, feta cheese, onion, mushroom, diced ham, mozzarella & parmesan cheese.

Taco salad

Asian Chicken Salad (SO yummy, keeps about 3-4 days, and gets better the longer it "marinates")
    20 oz cooked boneless skinless chicken breast (about 2-3 breasts) Leave skin on for higher fat count, but I don't care for the texture when doing that
    3/4 cup chopped green onion
    1 cup chopped red bell pepper
    3/4 cup chopped celery
    1 TBSP sesame seeds

Combine above then toss w/ dressing of:
    3 TBSP mayo
    3 tsp soy sauce
    1 tsp sesame oil

Makes 4 servings. Nutrition facts per serving: Cal 399, Carb 11, Fat 13, Protein 55, Fiber 2

Thank you so much! These sound really great and I will definitely save them! :)
  • aeb09
    Options
    And thank you to everyone else as well - these are some great ideas and will get my imagination going, too. I really do appreciate it. :)