What are your macro percentages set to?

Options
iKapuniai
iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
Talofa everyone,

Ok... my cravings for sweets/carbs is through the damn roof, and I need to get rid of them or decrease them dramatically as soon as possible, cause I'm not too far from hittin' the 400lb mark. Or death. Whichever comes first for me. So I've decided to low carb it in hopes that it'll assist me, cause I could literally eat candy, pizza, brownies and chips all day long.

I'm not too sure about how low I should go... don't know if my goal is to go into ketosis or just to simply cut back, but I'm thinkin' around 50g-75g of carbs per day (I'm allotted 2,000 cals/day).

Here's what my macros are currently set to:

Carbs: 15% - 75g
Protein: 45% - 225g
Fat: 40% - 89g

Does this sound acceptable/doable?

At first I put my carbs percentage as 10%, leaving me with 50g/day, and my protein was at 300g. I had an incredibly hard time getting up to 300g, even after eating a ton of eggs, chicken and even a protein drink PLUS protein pudding. I usually prefer to get my protein from actual foods and not have to resort to protein supplements., but I had to yesterday just to get even remotely close lol I may have set protein too high and fat too low.

Anyways... none of that really matters LOL cause the point of this topic was to ask what everyone else has their macro percentages/grams set to? What has worked for you? And should I leave my macros the way they are?

Fa'afetai, tofa.

-Ihilani Kapuniai

Replies

• LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hello,

My macros are set to :

20 g Carbohydrates (5%, 80 kcal)
    75 g Protein (20%, 300 kcal)
    124 g Fat (75%, 1116 kcal)

Lately I have been consuming more protein and hit a stall but am increasing my fats this week and adding exercise. Hope to break my 6 week stall.

Your protein seems somewhat high, and your fat too low for ketosis, but since that is not your goal --is your goal just to cut your carb intake?

Do you live in Aloha Oregon? I used to live there years ago! I have good memories there. Best of luck on your journey.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I'm not too sure about how low I should go... don't know if my goal is to go into ketosis or just to simply cut back, but I'm thinkin' around 50g-75g of carbs per day (I'm allotted 2,000 cals/day).

Way too much protein, not nearly enough fat. There's a formula which will tell you if your macro balance is right for maintaining ketosis. You put the grams in, and if the value is greater than 1.5, you're eating ketogenically. I put those values in and I get 0.85 ... well under where it needs to be. If you want to get into ketosis, you're going to need to cut both the carbs and the protein. The carbs more than the protein. As a general rule, you want a larger percentage of calories from fat than from protein.

I am at 74% fat / 22% protein / 4% carbs myself.

That would be:
    Carbs: 20g
    Fat: 164g
    Protein: 110g

That gives me a ratio of 1.98... well above the 1.5 necessary.

Of course, if you're not into ketosis, then stick to what you're doing and see where it gets you. I'd probably cut the protein back though. That's just way too much unless you're a super-competitive weight lifter or something.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    80%cals from fat, 15% from protein and 5% carbs for me. I don't have a set calorie limit per day. I just listen to my body.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Agree with previous posters. Low carb works best for me w/ higher fat and very moderate protein. My macros are set to 5% carbs, 20% protein, 75% fat. Remaining in a ketogenic state kills the cravings for me and let's me become one of those people who say annoying things like, "Oh, my...I've simply forgotten to eat!"
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    1400-1500 net calories per day. I'm at 50g carbs MAX. I typically have less than that more like 10%-5%. 30-35% protein, and fat is whatever is leftover, typically between 50%-60%. Sometimes I'm a hair over 60% on fat. My results since February are a 2lb lose per a week average.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Up the fat intake, totally eat like an Eskimo if you can and try not to substitute sweet things even if it is an approved sweetener, it can keep the sweet fix in the front of your mind and you need to turn that switch off.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I've recently upped my calories from under 1300 to 1500 per day & have changed my macros as well.

I'm now at 5% (19g) carbs, 25% (75g) protein & 75% (125g) fat. I picked up a ketone meter today & I'm definitely in Ketosis! yay!
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Wow... I had no idea how much fat I should be consuming in comparison to protein/carbs. I'm somewhat hesitant to increase my fat intake so much... but I'll try it.

Another question... I know that most low carbers don't count calories, but if you're using MFP and counting carbs, I imagine you'd still know the answer to this: How many calories, roughly, would you say you're consuming whilst doing low carb? I've heard of some people not counting calories at all and eating all kinds of incredibly high calorie/low carb foods and still losing weight, but then again there's the whole "calories in vs calories out" thing... so therein lies my confusion.

Anyone count their calories as well? Or know if they still lose weight while eating over their calories while still keeping it under carbs?

Hope that makes sense lol

Thank you all again.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This calculator can help you set your macros and calories.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    What is your BMR? Are you sure 2000 calories is in the ball park?
    I only ask because some people just place a number in for a goal and it may or may not be realistic.

My BMR is about 1700. My daily calorie goal is 2250. This is still a deficit compared to what I really burn every day.

I do 30% carb, 25% protein and 45% fat. I'm starting to see some great results with it and my strength training.

Here is the website I use for BMR: http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bmr/
    It's the closest I've seen to what my Life Trak is telling me. (It's like a Fitbit.)
    Talofa everyone,

Ok... my cravings for sweets/carbs is through the damn roof, and I need to get rid of them or decrease them dramatically as soon as possible, cause I'm not too far from hittin' the 400lb mark. Or death. Whichever comes first for me. So I've decided to low carb it in hopes that it'll assist me, cause I could literally eat candy, pizza, brownies and chips all day long.

At first I put my carbs percentage as 10%, leaving me with 50g/day, and my protein was at 300g. I had an incredibly hard time getting up to 300g, even after eating a ton of eggs, chicken and even a protein drink PLUS protein pudding. I usually prefer to get my protein from actual foods and not have to resort to protein supplements., but I had to yesterday just to get even remotely close lol I may have set protein too high and fat too low.

Anyways... none of that really matters LOL cause the point of this topic was to ask what everyone else has their macro percentages/grams set to? What has worked for you? And should I leave my macros the way they are?

Fa'afetai, tofa.

-Ihilani Kapuniai
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    80%cals from fat, 15% from protein and 5% carbs for me. I don't have a set calorie limit per day. I just listen to my body.

Same. I pretty much eat what I want, as long as it sits within those macros, and of course, it doesn't end up over 2000 calories :)
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm at:

5 percent carbs
    20 percent protein
    75 percent fat

Right now I'm limiting calories to 1200 but I'm a lot older than you and it's so much harder to lose weight!

Rats anyway!

I might start ramping that amount up and down to shake things a little. Calories do matter. They just do. But with good macros the calories can work better for our bodies.

Good luck!
  • NAPR51
    NAPR51 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What ketone meter did you buy and how do you like it?
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I average 1,860 calories a day. My TDEE is currently around 2,460 calories a day, so I have a 600 calorie deficit. It's a little over a pound a week loss.

Also, don't fear the fat. I eat a staggering amount of fat, and I should really be eating more. I am usually over on my protein and low on my fat. I average 140g of fat a day. That's only 68% calories from fat. It's near, but below my goal.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Wow... I had no idea how much fat I should be consuming in comparison to protein/carbs. I'm somewhat hesitant to increase my fat intake so much... but I'll try it.

Another question... I know that most low carbers don't count calories, but if you're using MFP and counting carbs, I imagine you'd still know the answer to this: How many calories, roughly, would you say you're consuming whilst doing low carb? I've heard of some people not counting calories at all and eating all kinds of incredibly high calorie/low carb foods and still losing weight, but then again there's the whole "calories in vs calories out" thing... so therein lies my confusion.

Anyone count their calories as well? Or know if they still lose weight while eating over their calories while still keeping it under carbs?

Hope that makes sense lol

Thank you all again.

I really wish they would have named dietary fat something else...its not what necessarily makes you fat...its too many calories. Eating your ideal percentage of fats/proteins/carbs will keep you in ketosis and losing weight while keeping your hunger in check. THAT is why low carb works for alot of people....you are cutting your calories and you don't feel hungry. I've tried to lose weight many times, and low carb was one where I wasn't always thinking "I want cake now, I swear I'll eat a small dinner". Dinner comes and I'm starving so I eat again.

Fat is where you need to get your energy from if you are reducing your carbs. It also keeps your hunger in check. I joined MFP a little over a year ago while low carbing. It wasn't until MFP that I realized that eating low carb DOES cut my caloric intake and I am eating at a deficit. This is my 2nd time eating low carb to lose weight. The 1st time I lost 90 pounds and I would not have believed you if you told me that I was eating a calorie deficit. But that essentially is how you lose weight eating low carb...it's just another route to get there.

Good luck! It took me many months to feel comfortable eating low carb and confident while grocery shopping and cooking, so keep going at it!