Eating Back Calories

Options
I must say that I am highly suspicious of the amount of calories MFP says I've been burning with exercise. (For instance, this morning's 40 minute elliptical session came out to . . . 655 calories?!) What would be the recommendation for determining how much of "earned" calories I should be eating back? I don't want to be overestimating and I am honestly tempted to not eat them back at all, but I also understand the importance of compensating for exercise.

Replies

• racnsdd
    racnsdd Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    For some things I feel MPG over estimates but most for me I feel it under estimates. I wear a heart rate monitor when I work out and that's always higher than MPG. I like to err on the side of caution and take what's lower
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    If your elliptical machine doesn't give you a calorie estimate based on your actual workout, I would probably cut the MFP number in half. Lop off one-third at the least. I've been eating on a TDEE basis for so long that I've kind of forgotten the issues of how many calories to eat back.
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Most of the post I've seen pertaining to eating back calories recommends 50% to 75% of the earned calories should be eaten back. Hope that helps! I agree the numbers seem awfully high on some things, so I will be getting heart monitor that will hopefully help me track a little more accurately.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I agree. I use the machine readouts and I'm skeptical of those. I always tell folks to eat back 50%. I often break my own advice however.:embarassed: