Calories Burned?

Options
chief714
chief714 Posts: 3 Member
How do you go about calculating how many calories you've burned during workout regiimens?
I don't normally attempt to do this, but I'm looking to be as accurate as possible on my logs starting April. Any tricks you guys would like to share?

Replies

• krissenior
    krissenior Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I would get a Heart Rate Monitor, that is the way to calculate most accurately
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    A HRM is not going to be accurate for weight lifting, except maybe with high intensity circuit training (it won't be accurate but not as varied). HRM calorie estimation formulas are based on steady state cardio activity. Strength training is not steady state cardio.

Many people choose to go with the TDEE formula if strength training is a primary exercise. Strength training calories are very difficult to estimate due to the numerous variations. The calories burned are minimal. The benefits to strenght training are more than just calories burned.
  • chief714
    chief714 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with the HRM for cardio or maybe even plyomentrics.
    for weight training I haven't come up with much other than the TDEE method mentioned. Was just wishful thinking there was a better way. lol

Thank you for all of your input tho :-)