Hello there!

Options
metanoia0116
metanoia0116 Posts: 143 Member
Hi all! My name is Meghan and I am happy to have found this challenge. I have quite a bit of weight to lose but it is really slow going right now. I strength train 3 days a week and do cardio 2 days a week. The strength training does complicate weight loss because it makes it slow. I do get frustrated but I feel stronger and more confident. I look forward to this challenge with ya'll. Feel free to send me a request. :)

Replies

• msmimi
    msmimi Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hi Meghan. Sounds like a good plan. I plan to start with a walking program then switch to a walk/run program and end with a running program. I also plan to have 3-4 days of light strength training. YAY! New us!:happy:
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Msmimi,

Excellent plan. Walk, walk/run, run is exactly the right approach. I have been running since the 1970's but it got harder when I got in my 50's. My knee started to really hurt and I had to stop running. I walked instead. The knee issue was likely caused by moving from around 220 to as much as 248. Last August I started in earnest here on MFP. By October I was back down to 220ish and low and behold my knee got better. I started running slowly (3 miles with some intermittent walking). More weight loss goes by.......I am currently running 7 miles at about a 9:15 min/mile pace.

For me, it's all about net calories. Endurance cardio burns calories! I don't discount weight training, I do that too and I think it becomes more important as you get down toward the green BMI zone. Cross-training is important for overall health--period.

Glad you all joined the group--good luck!!
  • Kawkey
    Kawkey Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

I just graduated from college about a month ago (my last semester was only a 1/2 semester) and I have about 30 pounds to loose which seems pretty darn daunting. I don't have an exact plan yet of what I'm going to do but I'm going to try to daily write EVERYTHING I eat and then do cardio three times a week and strength training twice a week.

This challenge is great because my sister, an avid runner, wants me to do a 10k with her on the 4th of July! I could really use this!

Best of luck everyone!
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

I just graduated from college about a month ago (my last semester was only a 1/2 semester) and I have about 30 pounds to loose which seems pretty darn daunting. I don't have an exact plan yet of what I'm going to do but I'm going to try to daily write EVERYTHING I eat and then do cardio three times a week and strength training twice a week.

This challenge is great because my sister, an avid runner, wants me to do a 10k with her on the 4th of July! I could really use this!

Best of luck everyone!

30 pounds might seem like a lot when you look at it as one goal. Break it up into several smaller goals and it gets much easier. I'm now on my third goal.

I am also lucky to have a sister that got me running. I never even thought about running until she got me started. I just signed up for my first 10K.

Good luck!
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I've found that challenges keep me motivated! I'm ending one on April 6th, so I figured it was a good time to sign up for another. I like the time frame of this one!

I came back on MFP in January after an injury last Fall knocked me down for the count. I'm working on getting off the weight I put on post injury. I have 11 lbs. to go to get back to where I was, and then I would like to continue with my goals from there!

BTW, my name is Beth, I'm a 35 year old mother to 3 beautiful children. My only daughter turns 12 in a couple of months and above all I want to be a positive role model for her during her teen years. I want her to see the way to eat right and not starve herself and that being strong and healthy is more important than being stick thin and striving for a thigh gap. This is her 4th year in Girls on the Run 5k program and my first year as her Coach. (Previously I ran with her, coached at my school, etc.) We will be taking on another 5k in April and then our 4th Girls on the Run 5k in May.
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    Hi all! My name is Meghan and I am happy to have found this challenge. I have quite a bit of weight to lose but it is really slow going right now. I strength train 3 days a week and do cardio 2 days a week. The strength training does complicate weight loss because it makes it slow. I do get frustrated but I feel stronger and more confident. I look forward to this challenge with ya'll. Feel free to send me a request. :)

Hi Ladies! I'm Kate, I am doing a strength training program (NROL4W), I have been doing it 2 days a week but will be switching to 3 days, same with cardio too actually. So, I think that both of you have really great goals and plans. I don't have too much to lose, as I'm approaching maintenance, but started out with 30+ lbs to lose. It probably feels like you have so far to go still, and you want it to happen quickly, but I feel slow and steady wins the race, especially if you're weight training because then you know most of it is the fat you want to be losing and not the lean muscle mass.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
    ^^I think that's a good post for you to read. It's pretty much about setting realistic weightloss goals based on the individual.

Anyways, good luck! these challenges are great!
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Welcome everyone!

These set of challenges are the best here on MFP.

If you stick with it, you will be successful.

I started out back in July after a hospitalisation gave me a good scare. I was around 211 and miserable. So now I am at 157 and would like to get to 125 eventually but at 51, it is slow going.

I have a tendency to wander in and out of here. :)
  • discoveredamber
    discoveredamber Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I'm Kate, I am doing a strength training program (NROL4W), I have been doing it 2 days a week but will be switching to 3 days, same with cardio too actually.
    I am doing NROLFW too. I have one workout for stage 2 left then onto stage 3. I plan on doing it 3 days a week and cardio the other 3. 2 speed runs and 1 longer run. Good luck to everyone.
  • bm1409
    bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    So happy to find this group. I am 54. My heaviest weight was 160. I did get down to 135 last summer, but being lazy during the winter months I am back up to 140. My goal is to be 123 ( I think I was in my 20's the last time I saw that). Exercise has been my worst enemy (I never been very active) .... but I am determined to make it my best friend.
  • StreetBystander
    StreetBystander Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone! I am a 27-year-old student trying to get back to my pre-first semester weight. (I have managed to pack on a whopping 90 pounds since returning to college a few years back.) I have struggled with eating disorders since my late teens and am looking to break the cycle. (I'm not trying to make anyone uncomfortable and will mostly keep mum about it, but being open and candid has so far helped me work through recovery from something that generally relies on secrecy to be maintained.) I want to take this on in chunks and am very excited to be part of a group like this. Feel free to add me.
  • bitxbit
    bitxbit Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I've joined the new Independence Challenge and am so excited to get started, again! It became necessary for me to drop out of our last challenge, but I did follow along with everyone's stats and I send y'all a "Great job of sticking with it, no matter what!!" Some really fantastic numbers!
    I've missed you great people & the accountability of our group. I have lost some ground, but that just means I must put in more effort... as I have soooo very far to go! I'm ready to get back into the discipline of routine. I've actually missed that, also.
    Glad to see some familiar faces and some new ones! Good luck with your goals! ~bit
  • claired78
    claired78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Claire and I am a 35 year old married mom of 3 (11, 9, 5). I am trying to lose around 40 pounds. I have had a really hard time staying motivated on weekends and I am really hoping this group will help with that! I have a lot going on in the next few months including finishing school for esthetics, moving out-of-state, and hopefully finding a new job and working outside of the home for the first time in 11 years. Normally all of that would cause me to lose focus, but I am determined to stay on track this time, please feel free to friend me! My diary is public and I have celiac disease so I am 100% gluten and dairy free. Also, I am in the middle of C25k and also do a lot of dvds at home. I plan on working out 6 days a week. Thanks! :)
  • BeckyLF05
    BeckyLF05 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Welcome, everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • BeckyLF05
    BeckyLF05 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Claire and I am a 35 year old married mom of 3 (11, 9, 5). I am trying to lose around 40 pounds. I have had a really hard time staying motivated on weekends and I am really hoping this group will help with that! I have a lot going on in the next few months including finishing school for esthetics, moving out-of-state, and hopefully finding a new job and working outside of the home for the first time in 11 years. Normally all of that would cause me to lose focus, but I am determined to stay on track this time, please feel free to friend me! My diary is public and I have celiac disease so I am 100% gluten and dairy free. Also, I am in the middle of C25k and also do a lot of dvds at home. I plan on working out 6 days a week. Thanks! :)

A lot of us struggle on the weekends. I do pretty good thru the week but the weekends slaughter me. :grumble: A couple of times one of us have started a "weekend warrior's" thread for extra motivation.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

A lot of us struggle on the weekends. I do pretty good thru the week but the weekends slaughter me. :grumble: A couple of times one of us have started a "weekend warrior's" thread for extra motivation.
    [/quote]

Keep doing them, they are really great. I'm hoping we can get the wallflowers to participate more in these this go.