What are good veg to stir fry?

Options
I think I'm in a bit of a rut with my veg choices. I usually stir fry my veg at lunchtime and in the evening for speed and also to get a good variety into 1 pan at the same time - but it seems like I am always choosing the same veg. lunch always seems to involve cabbage (or other random leaves), tomato, courgette (zucchini) and dinner is even more restricted in that it is almost invariably pak choy, peppers, asparagus and more courgette. Carrots and mange tout make an occasional visit but are not regular. I'm just a bit conscious of something Mark Sissons said in his blog about not eating the same stuff every day. I am very guilt of this. What else stir frys well? I do sometimes boil or steam some broccoli, green beans and cauliflower but probably not more than once a week.

Replies

• pbjonrye
    pbjonrye Posts: 25
    Options
    I just did a stir fry last night of ****ake mushrooms and Japanese egg plant--very quick and easy--stir fried in a little coconut oil and garlic. I also bought some snow peas and plan on stir-frying that tonight. Also got some okra which I don't think i've ever cooked before but will likely roast those in the oven.
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I've never been good at stir frying- what's the secret to getting crisp cooked veggies? What sauces do you all use?
  • pbjonrye
    pbjonrye Posts: 25
    Options
    I've never been good at stir frying- what's the secret to getting crisp cooked veggies? What sauces do you all use?

I don't use any sauce, just some salt/pepper, chopped up garlic and a tad coconut oil. For crispy veggies i prefer to roast them than stir fry. Don't stir fry for too long, otherwise you may get wilted veggies.
  • EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

Not so much the sauce and oils, but to cook over high heat and not to cook very long or the veggies will get soft. For oils I've used coconut oil, olive oil, ghee, & avocado oil with great results. Sauces: coconut aminos, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, etc. along with herbs & spices.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Try coconut oil, asparagus, kale and organic apple cider vinegar (Himalayan sea salt and pepper to taste).

Start the asparagus first and after its about half done, add the kale and apple cider vinegar.

Yummm
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Try coconut oil, asparagus, kale and organic apple cider vinegar (Himalayan sea salt and pepper to taste).

Start the asparagus first and after its about half done, add the kale and apple cider vinegar.

Yummm

This sounds an interesting idea. I don't have any experience stir frying kale - my limit is turning it into kale chips. I've not tried the apple cider vinegar in a stir fry either. I'm all for a bit of experimentation!

I should also try using mushrooms a bit more - I do like them, they just seem to end up in sauces rather than my stir frys.

Thanks for the ideas :)
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have an electric wok (great for frying because it keeps a consistent temperature) but maybe it doesn't get hot enough. I might pick up a wok for the stove top this weekend and try that out. Thanks for the ideas!