Looking for some accountability Partners

Options
cwrig
cwrig Posts: 190 Member
I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes in Dec 2013, started immediately changing my eating habits and found MFP in Feb 2014. Now its April 2nd and Ive lost 33 pounds since I was diagnosed just over 3 months ago. I started with an A1C of 9.2 and cholesterol was also high. I just had my 3 month lab work done and am waiting for the results this week. (waiting for the phone to ring anytime from the doctor with my first "report card".

I am happy with the weight loss so far but fear I've lost the "easy lbs" and that it may get more difficult from here on out. I started at 288lbs and want to get down to "normal weight" of about 180. So, I would love to have someone along with me on this journey to help motivate me and hold me accountable. I am willing of course to do the same.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll do the friend thing,

Replies

• Bookwitch
    Bookwitch Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great job on the 33 down. Being diabetic doesnt mean you have to let it rule you. I told a diatician this once and she wrote it down. Yes I have diabetes but it doesnt have me. I was diagnosed several years ago and didnt do anything about it except panic and threw all my food away, well not all of it. After I got used to the idea of it I decided that I wasnt going to let it dictate my life. I was up over 400 pounds and my dr. told me I had to do something or I wouldnt see 50. I have another year till then but I will see that and more because I took charge. I have lost 100 pounds in 2 years, gained a few or so back over the winter but Ive almost got that gone again. My A1C wasnt ever as high as yours was, but Im thinking in the 8's, now it is down to 5.5. YEAH ME!

IF I CAN DO IT YOU CAN DO IT.
    Make sure to post your new levels and dont forget to tell your dr that you joined this program. You may also want to ask about possibly seeing a dietician, or taking a diabetes education class. I did to both and very glad I did.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Great on losing 33 lbs in 3 months, and I'm sure your lab work will show improvement.

I started on MFP in late October, and was surprised at how quickly the weight dropped off. After a few months I figured those were the 'easy' pounds and every week I kept waiting for the plateau. I'm still waiting.... I've lost over 70lbs so far and I have lost every week, even over the holidays. Some weeks were less than 1lb other weeks were over 3lbs. I'm sure I'll hit a plateau, and I'm sure my weight loss will slow down. However MFP has taught me that basic calorie math works. In spite of my diabetes, history of yo-yo dieting, etc I can still lose weight.

I'm sure you can do it. Friend me if you'd like.
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. You are both an inspiration.

I have already taken a diabetic education class (6 sessions) and it was extremely helpful.

Although I haven't gotten my 3 month report card yet (lab results - waiting for a call any day now) I feel like the weight loss has been almost too easy. I was anticipating a torturous time of being hungry and eating tasteless food; but that has not been the case. Ive actually learned how to make food that is really good and satisfying. Im just concerned that that "Plateau" will coe any day and it will get tough.

My Diabetic educators actually recommended MFP and I am so glad they did. It just makes sense. I will post my 3 month numbers as soon as I get them.
  • diabetesdieter
    diabetesdieter Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You are doing great! Weight loss is great, but so is just being healthy.

Plateaus sometimes come, but I find it's usually when I am really close to my goal weight (I've yoyoed in the past). I was diagnosed in January with an A1c of 9.4. I just had surgery and all of my bloodwork was normal after 2 1/2 months eating nicely. Although everything was ok originally, I had high liver enzymes. The healthy eating helped!