Just frustrated...

Options
msthang444
msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
I tell you what... between turning 30 and my hypothyroid, my body is screaming "Ha Ha it's gonna take you forever to get to where you wanna be" While I recognize that everything is a process... I'm still frustrated. I have run 371+ miles since October. I have lost 6 pounds.

Not 16.
Not 60.

(deep sigh)

While I will keep going, I am just irritated with the resistance my body is using to fight me :/
HOWEVER... Today I will do my "next right thing" and workout. I will not be happy about it... but I will work out.

Grrr...

Replies

• MiqGallegos
    Options
    I think it's AMAZING that you're still going to go work out. You're so much stronger than the resistance. You're an inspiration! :)

And the fact that you've ran so many miles since october!! Major kudos to you! Those are awesome numbers and an awesome accomplishment.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's, and I lost way more slowly than most MFPers. So please be patient, and keep up the great work!
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    I am losing really slowly too. I run about 15 miles a week and do heavy lifting and eat for a 1.5 pound weight loss and yeah. One or two pounds a month. Blah.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Do any of you feel that your dosage is too low? That you're still hypo?

I ask because I was recently diagnosed with Hashi's and after very similar frustration (3 months of daily caloric deficit of over 700 and only lost 2.2 lbs whereas a "normal" person would have lost 15-18 lbs), got the diagnosis and medication. After I dosed up o the meds, the weight started coming off like a "normal" person for 4-6 weeks (I lost 8 lbs and this would have taken me 6-9 months previously). But, after that, it's totally stopped. And, I'm wondering if this is a normal plateau for someone with Hashi's (or other thyroid issues) or just a fluid/woosh thing?
  • steviecooke1985
    steviecooke1985 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I tell you what... between turning 30 and my hypothyroid, my body is screaming "Ha Ha it's gonna take you forever to get to where you wanna be" While I recognize that everything is a process... I'm still frustrated. I have run 371+ miles since October. I have lost 6 pounds.

Not 16.
    Not 60.

(deep sigh)

While I will keep going, I am just irritated with the resistance my body is using to fight me :/
    HOWEVER... Today I will do my "next right thing" and workout. I will not be happy about it... but I will work out.

Grrr...

Wow! That's an amazing amount of miles! Well done!

With regards to pounds, have you been taking any measurements or measuring your body fat? You might be getting benefits from the running that don't show as actual pounds on the scale? I appreciate the frustration though!
  • maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options

I ask because I was recently diagnosed with Hashi's and after very similar frustration (3 months of daily caloric deficit of over 700 and only lost 2.2 lbs whereas a "normal" person would have lost 15-18 lbs), got the diagnosis and medication. After I dosed up o the meds, the weight started coming off like a "normal" person for 4-6 weeks (I lost 8 lbs and this would have taken me 6-9 months previously). But, after that, it's totally stopped. And, I'm wondering if this is a normal plateau for someone with Hashi's (or other thyroid issues) or just a fluid/woosh thing?

Yes, absolutely. For me, it's gradual, so I always think I'm going crazy.

The weight loss slows, despite keeping a deficit and not changing behavior. At the same time, my other symptoms creep back in: tiredness, weird sleep patterns at night, freezing hands and feet, ringing in my ears, etc. After a couple of months, it finally dawns on me that my dose is probably off. By the time I'm officially tested, I've always been hypo again.

What's aggravating is my doctors only seem to look at one symptom, weight loss, and disbelieve me because I will have lost a bit of weight at the beginning of a dose increase.

"Oh you've lost 4 pounds since I saw you 6 months ago, we might need to lower your dose!"

Me: "What are the lab results? Because I haven't lost anything in 3 months despite a good deficit, plus I feel lousy in all these specific ways and my feet are so cold and purple I could play a dead body on TV."

"Oh. Hmm. Yeah, you are in the normal range, but creeping up toward the top for TSH and your T3 is at the bottom, so I guess we could increase your dose just a bit.... Even though you lost weight and most people should have their dose lowered."

Every time.

It's basically an absurdist comedy, with real-life consequences on my health.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    Try reading "stop the thyroid madness" web site, there is a book of that title to. This really explains so much.

The only thing it does not do is, change policy. To do that many of us need to find a free thinking doctor who treats by symptom alleviation..

Best wishes to everyone in this struggle what ever today's battle.
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options

They're still adjusting my meds. The first dose was .025 in jan, upped it to .05 when my retests showed my levels went UP, go back in 3 weeks to re-test blood.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options

Hey Lindsey, is your TSH normal now? That does sound frustrating. I had a test recently, and my TSH was 2. Even though that is in the normal range, I feel better and have more energy when my TSH is around 1.

I am kind of OCD about it, but I get it checked around every three months. My Endocrinologist changes the dose as needed. It really helps with weight loss, having my numbers in the normal range. I am completely euthyroid though. Meaning all thyroid function is pretty much gone. Even with that, how much medicine I need is still variable. Whenever I lose or gain weight, the dose changes too.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Junebuggzy-- last time it was checked, my TSH was normal -- it was 1.28, but I was still having horrible hypo symptoms. In the past, it's been all over the map. My doc said that with Hashi's, TSH was pretty much useless because when you have the antibodies, it's impossible to know how much of the T3 and T4 is actually being effective -- it could be 20% effective or 80% effective. So, you could have "normal" numbers or even high numbers, but a lot of it is bound up with antibodies (=ineffective), so you effectively are still hypo. So, he tends to put more weight on symptoms than pure numbers. So long as they don't go too high and TSH is still detectable (which means you're not being overmedicated as you're still getting a reaction), he focuses more on symptoms and considers what is the "optimal" range for a patient rather than what are "within range" for the lab tests and standards.
  • shellymom3
    Options
    Thank you! You just made me feel soo much better! I've had hypothyroidism vor over 10 years and battle to lose weight! Every time I start losing weight my numbers drop and it takes them weeks to decide to test and change my dosage. Lat time it dropped so low that thought I stopped taking my meds! What a relief that I'm not alone!