adding extra lifts to the program

Options
marvybells
marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
I have been doing stronglifts 5x5 since November. So i am still relatively new to this & could use some advice....

I really want to incorporate hip thrusts into my routine because i keep seeing mentioned in the forums that they really target the glutes...and I want my glutes targeted! However before i began the program i was reading up a bit and thought that (if i recall correctly) that it is not recommended to add anything extra.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it really that big of a deal if i do add them in? If it is ok then should i do them every day i lift just as i do squats, or only with either routine A or B?

Replies

• Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I started including them yesterday. For the same reasons, I want some extra work on my backside. As I could see some of the women here do additional stuff to their program. I don't think it's bad. You could try it out and see how you feel. If it gets too much, you can stop or just do them every second workout or so, listen to your body :-)
  • marvybells
    Options
    that sounds reasonable. i think i will give it a try tomorrow. thanks!
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I also would love to know what others may add to their stronglift workout and why and how. In fact I come here today to make a new topic about accessory work, but I guess somebody read my mind :) . I just strarted not even a month ago, so I am pretty new to the whole thing.

I was doing p90x3 prior to the SL, and it really bothered me that I can not do pull-ups not a single one, not even close. Now as I have a gym membership, I have access to those assisted chin-up machine , and I want to work on it and get to the point where I can do a pull-up. I am 205 lb and started with 125 lb assistance and now I am down to 87.5 lb assistance. I was doing it 5x5 style just as stronglift, but I Noticed that many ladies do not follow the 5x5 set/rep structure in their additional stuff. I always wonders how they decide what rep/set they do. For pull-ups I want functional stregth , but also having some lat would be nice to compensate for my wide hips.
    I do knee ups, to work on my lower tummy and planks. I would love to know what other ladies do for core and why and how it works out for them,

The other 2 things I am thinking to add is assisted dips and hyperextensions for now.
    I really like to know if I am supposed to add the extras to the day I already worked on muscle the most or the opposite workout day .For example pull-up mainly work the back and some bicep just like bench/ barbell day. Dips works mainly shoulders and triceps similar to the OHP. Should I do pullups on bench/ barbell days, and dips on the OHP day or vica versa?
  • wendypow
    wendypow Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I didn't add any extra exercises to my SL program (Oct-Dec). Mostly because I didn't have the time. I have 45 minutes at the gym and I had to sometimes even cut back to 3x5 to get out of there on time.

I only started doing ab work in January when I started 5/3/1 - BUT just doing SL I dropped my BF % and saw a 4-pack in November! So now I do ab work to get them more defined and see if there's lower abs waiting to show themselves too. It's funny because I don't do any isolated oblique exercises, but those are visible along with some veins. I never thought veins would be so exciting, LOL. :) So obviously the main lifts hit just about everywhere.

:smile:
  • marvybells
    Options
    I also would love to know what others may add to their stronglift workout and why and how. In fact I come here today to make a new topic about accessory work, but I guess somebody read my mind :) . I just strarted not even a month ago, so I am pretty new to the whole thing.

I was doing p90x3 prior to the SL, and it really bothered me that I can not do pull-ups not a single one, not even close. Now as I have a gym membership, I have access to those assisted chin-up machine , and I want to work on it and get to the point where I can do a pull-up. I am 205 lb and started with 125 lb assistance and now I am down to 87.5 lb assistance. I was doing it 5x5 style just as stronglift, but I Noticed that many ladies do not follow the 5x5 set/rep structure in their additional stuff. I always wonders how they decide what rep/set they do. For pull-ups I want functional stregth , but also having some lat would be nice to compensate for my wide hips.
    I do knee ups, to work on my lower tummy and planks. I would love to know what other ladies do for core and why and how it works out for them,

The other 2 things I am thinking to add is assisted dips and hyperextensions for now.
    I really like to know if I am supposed to add the extras to the day I already worked on muscle the most or the opposite workout day .For example pull-up mainly work the back and some bicep just like bench/ barbell day. Dips works mainly shoulders and triceps similar to the OHP. Should I do pullups on bench/ barbell days, and dips on the OHP day or vica versa?

I think pullups would be fine. They actually used to be part of the program but were removed and made to be optional instead. take a look at this link:

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-assistance-exercises-pullups-pushups/
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    I am also super interested in this thread.

I do planks and curls because I like doing those a lot and feel like I notice results but thats all the extra I do. I was doing a core "program" after my runs but now that I am taking long rests with SL5x5 there is just no extra time in my life for that. But I liked how I felt with it (to fat to *see* results, lol).
  • redheadmommy
    Options

[/quote

I think pullups would be fine. They actually used to be part of the program but were removed and made to be optional instead. take a look at this link:

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-assistance-exercises-pullups-pushups/
    Oh, wow I didn't know that. Thanks! He is actually suggesting the exact things I am planning/doing:pull-up, dips, planks( =prone bridges). Plus the Reverse crunch works the lower abs just like the knee ups I am doing. I think I am just going to follow exactly as he suggests , it takes out the guesswork of planning my routine.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    There is no rule saying you can't add accessories to SL, most of the time it comes down to how much you want to spend in the gym and are you training for a specific goal.

Powerlifters use accessories to improve their big 3, but if you are just looking to target specific areas you feel are lacking by all means go ahead, but remember these are accessories not strength work so look for reps between 8 and 12 and go lighter.

For hip thrusts off a bench I would start with BW 3x10 after deadlifts, you can also look at exercise ball glute bridge leg curls, glute bridges for PC work.

Assisted chin ups, these depend on your ability to do them but look to either do 3x10 with assistance or if you are able to do some without assistance look to do 3xfailure and look to improve each time if you can. Do these after rows.

Abs, I believe if you have the time should be done after every session if you have time. Look to make a circuit that targets all areas of the core, and if weighted look at 8-12 reps to start with and build up to 15-20 reps

I like these circuits:

Hanging Leg Raises: 3 sets
    Do these with limited rest. Hold stability ball between legs for more of a challenge.
    Bicycles: 3 sets
    ---triset with---
    Knees Up Crunches: 3 sets
    ---triset with---
    Legs Flat Crunches: 3 sets
    Decline Bench Oblique Twists: 4 sets to failure

or

Decline Bench Weighted Sit-Ups: 3 sets
    Hold a lighter dumbbell behind head and perform sit ups.
    Rope Cable Crunches: 3-4 sets
    ---superset with---
    Weighted Leg Raises: 3-4 sets
    Medicine Ball Twists: 3 sets
  • marvybells
    Options
    There is no rule saying you can't add accessories to SL, most of the time it comes down to how much you want to spend in the gym and are you training for a specific goal.

Powerlifters use accessories to improve their big 3, but if you are just looking to target specific areas you feel are lacking by all means go ahead, but remember these are accessories not strength work so look for reps between 8 and 12 and go lighter.

For hip thrusts off a bench I would start with BW 3x10 after deadlifts, you can also look at exercise ball glute bridge leg curls, glute bridges for PC work.

Assisted chin ups, these depend on your ability to do them but look to either do 3x10 with assistance or if you are able to do some without assistance look to do 3xfailure and look to improve each time if you can. Do these after rows.

Abs, I believe if you have the time should be done after every session if you have time. Look to make a circuit that targets all areas of the core, and if weighted look at 8-12 reps to start with and build up to 15-20 reps

I like these circuits:

Hanging Leg Raises: 3 sets
    Do these with limited rest. Hold stability ball between legs for more of a challenge.
    Bicycles: 3 sets
    ---triset with---
    Knees Up Crunches: 3 sets
    ---triset with---
    Legs Flat Crunches: 3 sets
    Decline Bench Oblique Twists: 4 sets to failure

or

Decline Bench Weighted Sit-Ups: 3 sets
    Hold a lighter dumbbell behind head and perform sit ups.
    Rope Cable Crunches: 3-4 sets
    ---superset with---
    Weighted Leg Raises: 3-4 sets
    Medicine Ball Twists: 3 sets

Thank You!!!

I am going to start incorporating as much as i can. Most of it i will be able to do in my mini gym in the basement. but I do not have a pull-up station (too tall for my low ceiling basement) and i bought 2 different pull-up bars that are supposed to fit any door frame but neither one fits any door in my house grrrrrrr (except the one at the top of the basement stairs and I am not comfortable doing them there)

The good thing is that now that spring is here i can start taking a walk to the playground around the block when i'm done my routine. (Before i started up Stronglifts I used to jog out to the jungle gym to do pull ups. it's great, there are several spots where the bar is lower or has a bridge underneath to rest a leg on if you aren't able to do full body weight. there is also a rope wall you can climb over. I love it!)

anyway, thanks again :)
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I always do bicep and tricep work after Stronglifts. Also ab work.
  • foxandnegayo
    foxandnegayo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I recently added hip thrusts. I decided to add them to my weekend workout, regardless of A or B, since I have more time.
    On a relevant note, I ordered a Squat Sponge to provide padding for my hip thrusts (NOT squats). I used it once so far and it was great. I was a little embarrassed but oh well...tryin' to get a booty.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know what hip thrusts are.
  • gixbr
    gixbr Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Some people around here have mentioned this program a few times:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

I picked two exercises from the list that I wasn't already doing ( the whole workout takes 1.5 hours, yikes) and have been doing Tricep Extensions and incline curls (3x8) after every workout. Like girlie100 said, I think it all depends of how much time you have.
  • marvybells
    Options

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

I picked two exercises from the list that I wasn't already doing ( the whole workout takes 1.5 hours, yikes) and have been doing Tricep Extensions and incline curls (3x8) after every workout. Like girlie100 said, I think it all depends of how much time you have.

ooooh, that program looks interesting. I think i might switch to that. thanks for posting the link :)
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I add pushups and pullups (25/10) in between each of the three exercises for the day.
  • marvybells
    Options
    I add pushups and pullups (25/10) in between each of the three exercises for the day.

i am loving all the input from everyone. it is helping me figure out what i might want to do :smile:

right now i think i will add hip thrusts after deadlifts, and on "A" day i will throw in some pushups & pullups after i finish.....after this semester ends & i have more free time i will probably switch to the other program that was suggested
    ( http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout )
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

ICF doesn't take 1.5 hours.
    Including my 10min cardio warm up, an extra warm up set of squats without weight, adding in calf raises, and stretching after, the longest ICF has taken me is 82min.
  • marvybells
    Options

Including my 10min cardio warm up, an extra warm up set of squats without weight, adding in calf raises, and stretching after, the longest ICF has taken me is 82min.

can i ask, did you do SL 5x5 first and then switch to ICF later? or did you start out with that program?

I am trying to figure out if i should i stick with just SL for a while longer. I hate to start a program & not stick with it. I really enjoy squats & deadlifts, and i like the strength gains I am seeing from SL...

but i do not like that some areas such as my calves, hamstrings & triceps actually look less pronounced now. (Before i started heavy lifting i was doing various isolation exercises and some higher rep compound moves off of a step with dumbbells.) So i'm itching to switch things up a bit.
  • redheadmommy
    Options
    I am trying to figure out if i should i stick with just SL for a while longer. I hate to start a program & not stick with it. I really enjoy squats & deadlifts, and i like the strength gains I am seeing from SL...
    If you do this icecreamfitness 5x5 , you actually keep on doing Stronglifts just adding a lot of extra work describe there.

This has 2 workouts alternating exactly like StrongLift ,3 times a week ( ABA, BAB). Plus it starts with the exact same 3 moves as Stronglifts 5x5.
    Workout A is squat, bench, row, each 5x5 , plus an isolation for each muscle in the arms ( triceps, biceps, shoulder) 3x8 style + abs
    Workout B is squat, OHP 5x5, deadlift 1x5 , plus different chest press that designed to grow your pecs, plus lighter row for bigger back and abs.

It seems that this workout is StrongLift + upper body muscle growth moves . I think if you have the time to do al of those why not?
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

can i ask, did you do SL 5x5 first and then switch to ICF later? or did you start out with that program?

but i do not like that some areas such as my calves, hamstrings & triceps actually look less pronounced now. (Before i started heavy lifting i was doing various isolation exercises and some higher rep compound moves off of a step with dumbbells.) So i'm itching to switch things up a bit.

I did NROLW stage 1. The SL 5x5. Then a modified SL fron Sara and heybales to fit into my running. Suffered an injury. Did a self designed split (reviewed by a trainer and physical therapist and not at ICF.

I added calf raises to SL and to ICF.
    I considered Strong CCurves, ICF, and Allpro.
    Went with ICF due to simplicity.
    Allpro progression confused me.
    And I had a guy watching me at my gym so doing hip thrusts ajd some of the other stuff in SC ruled that out.

I think ill go back to a split when ICF is through (another 2.5 moths or so - so bout the time I move) but too soon to tell.

Blaha has a vid on youtube bout it. The link in the bb.com forum doesnt work (or didnt for me)