Will Be Starting Paleo Tomorrow

Options
Hi, I just joined your group and am brand new to the Paleo lifestyle. I'm hoping I will be able to stick this out as I do love the concept of eating "whole foods". I'm a sugar and carbohydrate addict, also drink a lot of diet sodas, and love white rice every now and then. I know Paleo will be a challenge for me but I'm definitely up for it. About 45 minutes ago, I emptied out my pantry, fridge, and freezer of foods that do not fit the Paleo diet. I still do have a few frozen pasta dinners and some boxes of girl scout cookies to get rid of though, but it's interesting to see how empty my cupboards are now! I think I'm going to have to do some grocery shopping soon…
Anyways, I'm looking forward to learning a lot about this way of eating and living!

Replies

• SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Welcome, any way we can help we will. The first couple of weeks are the hardest I think, keep posting and look at what others are eating.
  • pbjonrye
    pbjonrye Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks a lot, ClutchBone! I have heard the first couple weeks can be pretty tough. I'm definitely going to read thru all the posts here during this new food journey. I appreciate the support!
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hi! And welcome! I have been eating Paleo-ish (more Primal a la Mark Sisson, but even that is "ish") for about a month now. I feel a ton better just making the changes I have, and look forward to seeing how I can progress even further with more "tweaks" and "cuts" to my former Standard American Diet.

However you end up feeling next week, just remember: "Don't let perfection stand in the way of progress." (And as I'm typing this, I'm thinking of self-help Bill Murray in What About Bob, "Baby steps, baby steps to the steak."
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I started Paleo last week. I love breads, crackers and potatoes so I thought I'd have a hard time. It wasn't that bad actually. I seem more tired this week, but need to work towards getting closer to 8 hours sleep each night. (Right now I'm averaging 6+), The only food that I would love to have is a nice salty potato chip.....but I'm good, I only crave them when I see them. I do find I need more flavor with my food. Salads are so blah.... Any suggestions, help, etc.... are graciously accepted!
  • MzCat
    MzCat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Been Paleo/Primal/Real Food for 10 months now. It has changed my life. I am a Food/Chocolate Addict and it has helped me immensely and control my addiction. I am an avid reader and researcher of Paleo/Primal and have seen my Real Food Nutritionist Guru during this whole time.

The main advice I can give you is STICK WITH IT. Do your first 30 day restart strictly. The first couple weeks are the hardest as you go through the carb flu, but after that you should start sleeping better and feeling better. The 30 days is to detox yourself... and you will notice cravings for "CRAP" lessen. I used to have food in my hand 24/7, now I rarely, RARELY snack... your body thrives on the nutrients it's receiving without the toxins stealing the all the vitamins and nutrients. So your hunger subsides.

Once you complete your 30 you can reintroduce safe starches (White Rice) and dairy (FULL Fat) into your body if you would like to be more primal than paleo.. it's all about what your body can handle. If you reintroduce dairy and you get indigestion, you know that dairy is not for you.. :)

Sorry I am just so PASSIONATE about this... I ramble on.

8107712.png
  • MzCat
    MzCat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Kale chips!!!!
    The only food that I would love to have is a nice salty potato chip.....but I'm good, I only crave them when I see them. I do find I need more flavor with my food. Salads are so blah.... Any suggestions, help, etc.... are graciously accepted!
  • pbjonrye
    pbjonrye Posts: 25
    Options
    I appreciate all the encouragement! :)

Got through my first day and thought I did okay. Not perfect, but okay. Also, after reading more on paleo vs. primal, I think my style is going to be more primal as I still want to incorporate some dairy.

The stuff I ate today that was definitely not in the plan included half a packet of reduced sugar hot cocoa mix, one square of Trader Joe's bittersweet chocolate w/almonds, and…diet Coke! I'm eventually going to wean myself off the diet soda and instead of having two cans today, I only had one, so that's progress for me. Usually, I indulge in cake, cookies, and pita chips throughout the day so the fact that I had none of those things today was an accomplishment. Now I have to think of what I'm going to eat tomorrow!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! I recommend initially cutting diary for the first 30 days and then re-adding. If you do fine with it, then keep it. A LOT of people don't do well with diary. I have heard only 30% of the population digest diary well (I don't know if this statistic is correct.)

Also don't be afraid to increase your fat. Fat keeps you full and really is the difference between excelling and failing in this way of eating.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Welcome! :flowerforyou:

I've been here a long time and I'm full of opinions and ideas. Feel free to look at my diary or ask questions.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! I recommend initially cutting diary for the first 30 days and then re-adding. If you do fine with it, then keep it. A LOT of people don't do well with diary. I have heard only 30% of the population digest diary well (I don't know if this statistic is correct.)

Also don't be afraid to increase your fat. Fat keeps you full and really is the difference between excelling and failing in this way of eating.

That sounds about right. Basically, the only people that can handle dairy are those with herding ancestry (so basically either Scandinavian/northern European, or Masai).

And second the fat. Fat is good! Fat is good! Butter is awesome, lard is awesome, bacon grease is awesome!

Oh, and OP, this might help in the coming weeks - http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I am starting today.
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Hm, I think I'd recommend the opposite but I don't like feeling deprived. Dairy was really nice in my transition to help me eat more "normal" foods. I think it makes more sense to go in steps for a lifestyle change than just drastically dropping everything.
    Stage 1: gluten-free
    Stage 2: low sugar, no gluten-free packaged products
    Stage 3: low lactose (eliminating all dairy hasn't been needed yet)

Grocery list for my past few weeks includes:
    A ribeye, ground beef for hamburgers, chicken thighs, blueberries, blackberries, artichokes, parsley, bananas, potatoes, sweet potatoes, protein bars (current vice), cottage cheese, tea, some frozen veggie mix, corn for popping (not all that paleo), carrot chips, guacamole, eggs, bacon, coffee

It's a good idea to have some "easy reach" primal foods prepared for when you get cravings. Make it easier on yourself to follow the diet. I have to realllllllllly want ice cream to walk all the way to the store for it.
  • shuki_cotren
    shuki_cotren Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree with previous posters... fat is great calories to keep you full. Protein is next... it's a good idea to have protein with every meal -even breakfast. I have followed the Whole30-paleo lifestyle which recommends at least 4 oz of meat OR a couple eggs at every meal, a thumb sized amount of fat, and the rest of the plate= vegetables. If you make these meals satisfying enough, you won't have to eat between meals and you will still have a lot of energy! With proper meal planning, there is no need for snacking or feeling hungry between meals, in my opinion. I've heard that eating 3 meals is also good for keeping your hormones balanced, but I would need to check that fact for sure... MY FAVORITE FOODS: Pumpkin Pancakes from Balancedbites.com, ANYTHING from PaleOMG, Soups...every couple of weeks my husband and I make a HUGE pot of minestrone soup minus the beans, nitrate-sausage, and any other non-paleo foods. It's a wonderful base to add whatever vegetables you want- I do a lot of carrots, green beans, fresh parsley, and tomatoes. I either add ground beef or chicken to it for protein. Then, when I heat up a bowl, I always add a nice tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil for those wonderful extra calories to help me keep sustained until the next meal. Good luck!