Anyone test their ketone levels?

Options
I usually test three times a day and measure slight levels in the morning and moderate levels in both the afternoon and evenings. I have never tested in the higher ranges and I am curious how this compares to others' measurements.

I know that as long as you are producing ketones (regardless of the measurement) that you are in ketosis and that is my primary concern but I was wondering what causes some people to produce such high levels.

Any information is appreciated! Have a great day.

Replies

• kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I test after exercise.

I typically walk 5 miles over an 8 hour shift at work and when I get home is when I read the highest for the day. When I first wake up, the read is almost zero.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I only check every week or so unless I suspect I've eaten something that has thrown me out of ketosis or if I'm just starting back into ketosis.

Time of day doesn't matter to me, nor does the color, as long as it's darker than those first two squares, although I notice better appetite suppression when it's darkest, that one also can show up if I'm not drinking enough water, too, though.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I used to test pretty often. Now, I don't really bother. I know that if my macros are right, I'm in. So, I don't waste the strips. I did test one day when I had a TON of protein. I tested the day after too. The day after I might have been out. It was hard to tell if the strip had turned the slightest shade pink or didn't change. In any case, I don't worry too much about it.
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    On the Ketostix...I read "darker" meant DEHYDRATION... I got that color once...and drank a bunch of water...and I was BACK in Trace and Medium. The stix don't work after a while (from what I read) because our kidneys stop producing the Ketones that the Stix read (there are 3 types of Ketones). I am reading TONS of info on the Net...it is just nice to know more information all the time. I also know know that I stay in Keto, cause my I rarely (now) let my carbs go above 20 g, and my protein above 60 g...I like loading the FATS however...

Ohhh...don't forget...DRINK YOUR WATER :)

:drinker: :drinker: Deb
  • PinkMartiniPls
    Options
    Thanks for the information! I guess I was just curious as to why I never test above the moderate level. For right now, I test frequently so that I can gauge how certain carb levels effect my readings and I'm not stressing out over it, as long as I get a reading.

I'd love to hear more about other peoples' experiences...
  • Willketoworkforme
    Willketoworkforme Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try some Keto Coffee or put some coconut oil in something and get it in ya. Your strip will come out the darkest color. That type of fat goes right through you and shows up in your pee easily. Just goes to show that the strips are good for testing for excess ketones in the urine, not for much else tho. I still use them, but don't get hung up on the color.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Ketone urine strips are useless and very inaccurate. If you can't test using blood strips, don't bother. Eat right ratios and not worry about testing using urine strips. I use blood ketone strips if I am experimenting with my diet or exercise. I have gone with out testing for a week and I have tested as high as 4 times a day .
  • PinkMartiniPls
    Options
    Thanks, everyone for the advice! I know that eventually I will have to ditch the testing strips but for now, while I'm still experimenting with different foods, it's nice to know what the effects are.

I was finally able to get that deep purple line - after my cardio workout and I have to admit, I feel amazing after my workouts now.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Never used or seen one before.