New to Group/ ALWAYS HUNGRY

Options
Hi,

I joined the group yesterday. For the past few days I cannot seem to feel full. Not sure if it is emotional, tiredness or just tired of not eating much. How do you cope!?

Replies

• kts1988
    kts1988 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    First of all, welcome to the group!

I have been working on figuring out the difference between physical and emotional hunger for myself lately. It was helpful to research the difference between the two, as there are some physiological differences (for example, emotional hunger begins seemingly out of nowhere and develops very quickly).

I have also found it helpful to look at what I am eating. For me, if I eat too much sugar, I feel hungry all of the time. Drinking extra water helps, too, because it could be dehydration.

Hope some of that is helpful!
  • Florence1221
    Options
    Thanks. I will give this a lot of thought.
  • GillaMahogany
    Options
    Thank you, Florence, for posting this, I am also new and also always hungry.
    Thank you kts for this thought about the difference between the two hungers, it never occurred to me to look into it, or even try to tell the difference. This helps so much!
  • samg135
    samg135 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about being hungry, somedays I just cannot seem to stop eating! It is also worse if something has upset me, then I just tend to eat rubbish.

What works for me is distraction, I make myself do something like reading a really good book or playing Xbox. It doesn't always work but I find it helps.
  • Florence1221
    Options
    Great ideas and support from everyone. Very appreciated.

Thanks.
  • fridainthesky
    Options
    First of all, welcome to the group!

I have been working on figuring out the difference between physical and emotional hunger for myself lately. It was helpful to research the difference between the two, as there are some physiological differences (for example, emotional hunger begins seemingly out of nowhere and develops very quickly).

I have also found it helpful to look at what I am eating. For me, if I eat too much sugar, I feel hungry all of the time. Drinking extra water helps, too, because it could be dehydration.

Hope some of that is helpful!

That's really helpful, thanks. I'm the same with sugar!
  • ttmomvet
    ttmomvet Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    2nd that.
  • Dannikinz
    Dannikinz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm also new to the group and am now realizing how emotional eating and physical eating are different.

Emotional eating can be talked down or distracted.
    Were you watching a commercial that featured a burger or some desert you haven't had in forever? Are you upset at a friend and just want to eat some ice cream because at least it's sweeter than said friend? Do you feel defeated in your weight loss efforts and have that "Oh, screw it. I might as well anyway." thought in your head?

That is NOT physical hunger. And to be emotionally hungry does not mean you don't know how your stomach feels or you have no self control. It's natural during stressful times to want food because, as primitive beings, our body eats food during stress in case of famine.

Things that have worked for me are:

Wait it out: If you have a craving for something and start to fantasize about how good it'll be STOP. If you run out to get food on impulse like that, you might regret it later and bash on yourself. Just wait it out. Say "Wow, that would be good right now. But am I really hungry? Or am I just reminiscing on the taste of a food?" By the time you finish your interview with yourself, the feeling would have passed.

Drink water: We can easily confuse hunger with thirst. So, before you run out and get that Double Bacon Burger, drink some water, or even a cup of juice if you want some flavor. If you have a persistent craving, drink 2 cups. Our stomachs were designed to only hold 2 cups of food at a time anyway.

Think about the impact that would do (Pros / Cons): I think about my goals and how allowing myself to indulge all the time would impact my progress. In my head, I make a pro and con list. If you do this, you will see that 99% of the time, the cons will win. Do you really want Greasy, High in Calories, Too many Carbs, over Processed, Bad for my heart and vital organs to lose against It'll taste good?

Your mind is the greatest gift given to you. Use it to persuade yourself, give yourself willpower and strength to persevere your cravings. It'll be worth it when your results show your effort~
  • carlaunderconstruction
    Options
    When you are hungry are you interested in eating some grilled lean meat and steamed vegetables? If this doesn't appeal to you, you probably are not physically hungry. For example sometimes when I'm tired I will want to eat sugary foods. I think I'm hungry, but really I'm just exhausted.
  • Florence1221
    Options
    Thank you for your thoughtful advice. I recognize that I am learning my stressors and new ways to cope and overcome. I am now 67 years old and get tired much more easily than I did just a few years ago. That seems to definitely let my guard down.

One of my best mental arguments is to remind me that I have already lost 25 pounds and weigh less than I have in years. I do not want to go backwards.
    My health is at stake. If I do not do this, my health problems will only get worse, not stabilize or get better as the doctor has said they will if I do this.

I try to plan an extra snack into my eating plan each day so if I just have to have something I can. I keep reasonably healthy food options on hand in addition to fresh fruit..

"Your mind is the greatest gift given to you. Use it to persuade yourself, give yourself willpower and strength to persevere your cravings. It'll be worth it when your results show your effort~" quote from Dannikinz

"When you are hungry are you interested in eating some grilled lean meat and steamed vegetables? If this doesn't appeal to you, you probably are not physically hungry." quote from carlaundercon

I will use these two ideas especially. Thank you both for helping me. If you would like to, please add me as a friend.
  • GillaMahogany
    Options
    Thank you all! I am also in the process of learning to tell the difference. I think I actually made huge progress just by discovering that I do eat for emotional reasons. This whole "I'm always hungry" thing is a very strong feeling, but I can beat it....right now I can't beat it every day, but baby steps!
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,222 Member
    Options
    I struggle also with always feeling hungry. 5 yrs ago, I lost almost 40 lbs on Weight watchers. I still remember one of the things the leader told me. If you are hungry, eat a can of green beans. If green beans are not what you want - you are not hungry, its emotional. I know that I am an emotional eater. I eat for so many reasons, most of them not because I am hungry.

You are doing great to lost the 25 lbs! I have been on this site for over a year - joined last easter. While I never quit, I never seemed to be able to lose and stick with it. Even though I continued to write down what I was eating, on days I ate too much, I just didn't write it down.

For the past 2 months I am doing better, and I think the reason is my water bottle! I bought myself a water bottle, carry it with me everywhere. It is mostly in the evenings that I get hungry, and now, I have my popcorn (no longer cooking in oil, but air=popped), and I drink a diet root beer. If I still feel hungry, I drink water. That has helped me so much - just drinking the water. So maybe try that also. Drink water, and wait at least 10 minutes.

I also sent you a friend request if you would like to help me keep going, and I will do the same.
  • Florence1221
    Options
    Thank you. I will try that too.