Consult this week - what should I expect?

Options
ATXHeather
ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
Hi all!

I've been to a couple of seminars and have picked my doctor based on those. I have my first consultation appointment on Friday and I am wondering what to expect? I am hoping to get the sleeve. I know I will have a 3 month supervised diet because of my insurance and I'll do that with their in-house dietician. Other than a lot of paperwork, what does that first appointment look like?

Also, can you tell me about your pre-surgery supervised weight loss program that insurance requires?

Thanks!

Heather

Replies

• risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our group Heather! :drinker:
    My surgeon, in southern Maine, performed only the RNY or LapBand so I knew, with the amount of weight I wanted gone, I'd would go with the RNY.
    My very first visit required a 'sponsor' to go with me - someone (friend or family) who I could lean on for support as I went through the the initial steps to surgery. I was weighed and given the stern talk on 'this is not a joke or an easy fix' lecture.
    My surgeon spelled out the steps to the surgery -
    1. lose 30lbs,
    2. see a nutritionist twice a month,
    3. hook up with MyFitnessPal and log in all my foods and exercise and be prepared to show it to the nutritionist during the apt.
    4. Attend at least 3 'group' surgical outreach sessions with all the pre-surgical candidates and those who had the surgery.
    5. My last visit would be with the psychologist, who would talk to me about my reasons for surgery and my plans to keep off the weight - basically if I was a credible candidate for the surgery and would most likely be successful.
    Took me from August 27,2011 until approval on December 14 to complete the pre-surgical requirements. My surgery was 1/17/2012.

My insurance only required that I have one life threatening ailment to qualify - it was sleep apea. I was cleared for surgery long before that January surgery date.
  • merobles827
    Options
    Every program is different... Mine was a 3 hour appointment. I meet with a RN, Social worker, nutritionist, case worker and got all my goals for then next 3 months. They sent me for blood work, get a 2 year history of obesity, get a letter of support from PCP, I had to lose 5% body fat, go to support group, do three months of weigh ins, get cardio clearance, and an egd It sounds like a lot but it's really not and it goes by very fast. Feels like just yesterday that I had my first appointment. Tomorrow is my surgery, I am getting the VSG!!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Mine went like this: In August of 2011 I went to a seminar in Houston--the first step.
    Next I was required to do 6 months (6 appointments) with their dietitian to learn about healthy eating--which I already knew as I was a nutrition major in college. Needless to say, I didn't follow what I knew or I wouldn't have been in the shape I was in!
    Next I had to do a consult with their psychologist.
    Once this was done, I had to have a naso-gastric test done to test for bacteria in the stomach.
    Then the preop.
    I then purchased my supplies--Bariatric Advantage shakes and supplements required for pre op and post op diet, as well as the Isopure clear, diet jellos, broths, etc.
    After all of this, I was denied by insurance company 3 times--errors in paperwork, things not properly submitted, etc. Most of the errors were on my endocrinologist's part, not my surgeon's.
    I thought I wasn't going to have the surgery--which was RNY, by the way. I had a choice of the sleeve also, but due to my type I diabetes and other intestinal issues we felt that the RNY would serve me best.
    I was finally approved and had my surgery on 9/27/12--a little more than a year after the process began.
    I LOVE my surgeon and his entire staff. I have had no problems since my surgery at all. My blood levels are perfect, I don't "dump," I've never vomited once. My medications are either gone, or reduced to almost nothing. As a type I diabetic, I will always be on insulin and a kidney disease preventative, but other than that I am clear of all meds. No CPAP, no asthma, no problems at all. I would choose RNY again in a heartbeat. Oh, I hit normal BMI 8 months after surgery and am in the low to mid range of normal now, holding steady for several months. Good luck with your process and whatever you decide!
  • ATXHeather
    Options
    Thanks so much for everyone's responses! I think I have a pretty good idea of what hoops I will have to jump through. My hope is to have the surgery in August. I work at a college so I will have a 2 week window between summer session and fall session.

It looks like I need to call the office to find out how long my appointment will be so I can arrange child care. I was assuming an hour but if it is 3 hours I'll need to prepare for that. The receptionist said I can make my first appointment with the NUT while I am there and it will likely be for the following week.

One concern that I have is that I don't really have a PCP. I have an OB/GYN that I see yearly for my well-woman and I have a NP that I see for other things. I am hoping either one of them will count for the letter required by insurance.

At the seminar, the doctor said I can do the other hoops concurrently with the 3 month supervised diet - like all the tests, the psych eval, etc. I thought that was good news and a time-saver!

One thing I am struggling with is this sense of "I have to eat everything I like now because I can't once I start the 3 month supervised." I'm trying to get that in check. What did your supervised diet look like? Was it very strict?

merobles827 - Good luck with your surgery today! That is so exciting!

Thanks for the welcome.
  • merobles827
    Options
    Thank you!! I didn't have a PCP either so I scheduled an appointment for a health physical at a local physician group. Then told them I was going to be getting it done. They were willing to write the letter.

I have been told since I was little to finish everything on my plate or no dessert. So I started getting smaller plates and bowls. It helps a lot for portioning yourself. Try some protein shakes. You can order sample packs from different places. Make sure you get in the habit of no soda , cut back on caffeine and carbs. Eat protein first , then veggies and last carbs or starch. They will go through all that stuff with you. I had a food funeral last weekend. It was really nice to have a taste of all my favorites but I realized after 6 months of dieting I felt sick afterwards. I am ready for the next step.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think that I also felt like I needed to go "all out" before my surgery and enjoy food. I did, however, try not to go overboard and I began logging my food on MFP months before my surgery.
    My pre op diet was only one week prior and consisted of 3 Bariatric Advantage shakes per day and dinner which consisted of 5 oz. lean meat and either 1/2 cup cooked or 1 cup raw vegetables. No carbonation at all.
    I practiced sipping months before my surgery, stopped the diet soda, etc.
    I bought very small plates and bowls, similar in size to baby plates. I tried the baby silverware, but found it unnecessary, as I use only the tip of the fork or spoon. I practiced making my meals last at least 20 to 30 minutes and I chewed until my food was mush.
    I even practiced the no liquids 30 minutes before or after meals and that helped immensely.
    Everything you do beforehand is worthwhile.
    Oh, and don't ever think that you can NEVER have your favorite foods again. You'll just eat much smaller amounts of them and be satisfied. You'll log these in your food diary and learn to incorporate them so that you still make your macros while remaining under a reasonable calorie level. It won't take long to learn a new way of living and before you know it, you will find it hard to believe that you ever ate any other way.
  • ATXHeather
    Options
    Did anyone have a certain amount of weight that was required to be lose during the insurance supervised diet? I know it is in my benefit to lose weight to make the surgery and recovery go as best as possible but is there a weight loss I should be aiming for?
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Heather, Did I just read you have a 'two week window' to get the surgery and recover before going back to work?
    Not sure that is in your best interest, but everyone is different. I didn't get off my post surgical clear liquid diet for a week, followed by high protein & full liquids diet for a week. That was hard to do and I was still recovering physically from the surgery wounds. I could have gone back the start of my 4th week at the earliest.
    I know everyone is different and recovery is faster for some, but check with your surgeon - especially if your job is physical in nature.
    As for a PCP, I'd ask your surgeon to suggest one - maybe in his practice or group. Your surgeon will follow you for your routine follow ups, but if you experience any issues of illness, the surgeon may be unable to help.
  • ATXHeather
    Options
    Heather, Did I just read you have a 'two week window' to get the surgery and recover before going back to work?

Yeah, I'm a little worried about that. But I am a part-time professor so going back to work will likely mean only showing up for a couple of classes for that first week. And I can sit the whole time and it will only be for a max of three hours. I'll know more in a couple of weeks once the schedule is released. I did mention it to the surgeon and he felt like it was find and they would try to work with my schedule (get me in as soon as my last summer class is finished, etc.)
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options

Yeah, I'm a little worried about that. But I am a part-time professor so going back to work will likely mean only showing up for a couple of classes for that first week. And I can sit the whole time and it will only be for a max of three hours. I'll know more in a couple of weeks once the schedule is released. I did mention it to the surgeon and he felt like it was find and they would try to work with my schedule (get me in as soon as my last summer class is finished, etc.)

I had the RNY and I was only given two weeks for recovery time. I was only on prescription pain meds for the first 5 days or so after surgery, and even then I stopped them early as I didn't need them. I too was on clear liquids the first two weeks. I work in IT, so I sit a desk for 95% of my time. I'll tell you, I was ready to go back after two weeks. I was bored of just pacing around the house. But, man, that first full day wiped me out. I was tired when I got home. So, for RNY I would think 2 weeks would be okay, however, I think the VSG surgery was 3 or 4 weeks due to the large internal staple lines. Sorry, I don't remember which surgery you said you were planning on having!
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I had to have a PCP letter as well. It will depend on your insurance and your surgical teams requirements. You should discuss this with your surgeon early on. For my insurance, I had to show a history of being overweight and list everything I'd done to try to lose it. I also had to provide documentation of co-morbidities (HBP, sleep apnea, etc) This was documented by my PCP through my check-up records. I did get prescriptions from my surgeon for all my pre-surgery blood work, scopes, and sleep apnea test (although I had already had that). I also had a six month supervised diet that had to be documented - I could have done that through monthly visits to my PCP for weigh ins OR my surgeons office offered monthly nutrition counseling classes, which met that requirement I went with the monthly nutrition classes just so there would be one less piece of information to coordinate with the surgeons office. They also required that the psych evaluation was done through their recommended doctors, so that was easy to arrange.

Getting through the surgery is one thing, but the after-care and success is long-term. You want to make sure you have good medical support from a general health perspective as well as surgical team. After surgery, I met with the surgical team nurse at 1wk, 1 month, 3 months, and now will meet with the actual surgeon at 6 months and annually for follow up, not exactly constant follow-up - BUT I also see a PCP for managing my blood pressure and blood work etc. every 3-6 months. My surgical office sends copies of all blood work and tests to my PCP, and they do say call with any questions. It's important for all of your healthcare providers to be in the loop in order for you to get the best care. I know many NP's are just as skilled as PCP's for general care -so you'd just have to check on the requirements. Mine specified a medical doctor. Best of luck to you. :)
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    My surgeon doesn't generally meet for the first consult until the patient has completed all the necessary insurance pre-requisites, (they are guided by an RN bariatric coordinator in the beginning). So I'd already done my 6 months supervised PCP diet, psych eval, 2 seminars and Nut visit and was ready to submit to insurance the day of my consult. I was told I'd need to lose 10 lbs before my pre-op appointment, (generally a few days before surgery). I was quizzed on "why" I wanted surgery. With a BMI of 36, I was on the lower end of qualifying, but I had an armload of weight related health problems. We discussed the 3 types of WLS that the surgeon performs and the pros and cons of each. I settled firmly on the sleeve as the band was never a thought and I didn't want the malabsorption issues present with R\Y. I was reminded about the liver shrink diet, (my re-op liquid diet was only 5 days thank goodness)! I was reminded what to expect as far as the surgery its self, recovery time, life long supplement use, protein requirements, etc. and was submitted to insurance days later when the office staff had the chance to review all the documentation I'd brought in and process it for insurance. About a week and 1/2 later I was approved and the string of pre-op testing began... Pulmonary, (I had uncontrolled asthma), EGD, they found a small hernia that was repaired with my procedure, blood work, etc. About a month after I was approved, they did my surgery which went really well, (I was released the next day and back to work the next week).
  • ATXHeather
    Options
    I had my consult today and it went really well. I am confident in the doctor, which will help tremendously as I continue. I meet with the nutritionist on Monday and meet with her monthly for 3 months. I also meet with the doctor two weeks after, for another 3 more meetings with him. The goal is to lose 17lbs during the 3 month supervised diet, and it is recommended, not required (the weight loss, not the 3 months.) While all that is happening, I can work on getting a Dr. letter of support (my NP doesn't count, even those she's my PCP but my OBGYN counts) and a psych eval. I can get all the other stuff (EKG, chest x-ray, lab work, etc.) in a one-day visit to the hospital. They also want a sleep study but I can sign a waiver if we can't find someone to do an at-home study (single mom with two kids.)

So, the obstacle is that the Doc. will be out of the country during my two week break from teaching. ACK! He said he would work with me to make it work. I might have to teach on a Monday morning, have surgery that afternoon, cancel Wednesday's class, and teach again the next Monday. The class is only for 2 hours and I could have someone drive me there and back. Or, I could wait until he is back in the country, have the surgery on Monday morning and then teach the first class of the session on that Friday morning. That part is worrisome but I will have to figure out a way to make it work - likely by canceling a class or two, which I have never done. I'm trying not to stress out too much about it. The doctor doesn't think it will be a problem.

Thanks for everyone's input and guidance.
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Whatever arrangement you can make to give yourself the most time off is what I'd suggest. Even if it's a matter of days, it will make a difference. Things you don't think of might be painful those first couple days (like getting in and out of chairs, cars, etc). I was amazed by how much better I felt day to day. I really didn't take pain meds after the first day (except at night because I couldn't sleep in my normal position due to having a drain), and even then I took a half dose. By the end of the first week, the pain subsided to minor discomfort and I was fine, although a bit slower than normal. I think surgeons (for any surgery) tend to underestimate recovery time. My surgical team suggested taking as much as possible just due to the eating adjustment, etc. My short term disability paid for me to have a month off, and I had to have a Dr's clearance to return to work. I realize not everyone has that benefit, but if you do it might be something you can look into.