Type 1 Diabetics Eating Keto

Options
Hi! I am a 24 year old who has been a diabetic since they were 7. I am starting the keto lifestyle, hoping to minimize my insulin to just the longlasting once a day. I was wondering if anyone else is a type 1 diabetic (since the effects of everything can be very different from type 1 and 2- though if you are type 2 who was/is relatively insulin dependent, I'd think it'd be similar) and if you can share your experience with keto. Obviously I know there's a difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis, but I've been super confused on if it can trigger ketoacidosis as well somehow with the whole point of producing ketones... I've tried to find information through googling, but haven't found much more than someone assuming something, not personal experiences.

Hoping someone can give me insight! I just want to make sure I do this right with my disease. :) Thank you!

Replies

• rlengland2014
    rlengland2014 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I can't help you, but I'm curious what responses you get. I understand that this diet was used to manage diabetes before insulin was available...
  • 17JayR
    17JayR Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Make sure you talk to your doctor/nutritionist about your diet. As although this diet was used for type 1 diabetes before they found insulin, everything I have read about the diet and diabetes says that it’s not recommended for type 1 diabetics, or not recommended without careful and constant medical monitoring due to the risk of ketoacidosis.
  • fangirlish
    fangirlish Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You might try posting this on the diabetes group forums as well. I would think you would get more diabetics responding there.

I'm not a medical professional (so take my advice for what it's worth), just a Type 2, not insulin dependent, but am following a keto lifestyle. I know many Type 1's who also eat ketogenically and seem to manage rather well. They have not been able to eliminate their bolus doses at meals but have definitely reduced the amount of insulin needed overall, both basal and bolus. Of course, everyone's diabetes is different and will respond differently, so always proceed with caution with making dietary changes.

Ketoacidosis should not be confused with being in nutritional ketosis or eating a ketogenic diet. Ketoacidosis is the result of very high blood glucose. High blood glucose is generally brought on by eating too many carbs. Eating a ketogenic diet lowers blood glucose, thereby lessening the risk of ketoacidosis.

Even if you choose not to follow a fully ketogenic diet, lowering your carbohydrate intake will help reduce your insulin requirements. You should monitor your glucose levels VERY carefully, however, and calculate your insulin dosages according to your carb intakes. There is a risk of going too low if you do not adjust your insulin dosages to match your carbs.

A couple of websites that might help clear up your confusion:
    http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/index.php
    http://www.diabetes-book.com/readit.shtml

This is a really good forum that focuses on low carb diets for diabetics, lots of very knowledgeable people (including Type 1s):
    http://www.diabetesforum.com/forum.php

Good luck on your journey - and stay safe!
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Make sure you talk to your doctor/nutritionist about your diet. As although this diet was used for type 1 diabetes before they found insulin, everything I have read about the diet and diabetes says that it’s not recommended for type 1 diabetics, or not recommended without careful and constant medical monitoring due to the risk of ketoacidosis.
    Ketoacidosis cannot come on from a ketogenic diet UNLESS you eat incredibly low calorie with it, and almost eliminate carbohydrate entirely instead of getting the 30g or so that's recommended. This is the only time it's manifested in medical documentation I have found (ketoacidosis as a result of a ketogenic diet).

If you keep to a very modest deficit or maintenance for calories, and eat 20-30g of healthy carbohydrate (primarily non-starchy vegetables) you should be fine.

Keep vigilant with your blood glucose monitoring - that'll obviously tell you how you're doing. A few Type I's that adopted keto have not-only eliminated bolus insulin, but had to reduce the units of basal they take as well. A greater meal/snack frequency can assist with preventing hypo's, which I'm sure you know.

Myself - I was diagnosed as Type II but further testing shows I secrete very-little insulin. I control it primarily with diet and exercise. I maintain optimal nutritional ketosis with between 40 and 120g of carbohydrate per day.

For me, the heavier carbohydrate days correspond to heavier exercise days, FYI. Often those days have two exercise sessions. I time my higher-carbohydrate meals to be roughly 45-60 minutes prior to intense exercise. This prevents elevated post-prandials and gives me enough circulating glucose to fuel intense anaerobic effort.