Getting back on the bandwagon

Options
jc4mee
jc4mee Posts: 40 Member
Hi,
I've been on MFP for a few years and had gotten down to a weight I was comfortable with (although technically slightly in the overweight BMI), but have lost my way. I've gained about 15 pounds and want to get it off and keep it off!! Last year I had gotten a Body Media Fit and wore it religiously. Loved that it calculated my calories burned without having to log anything, but it started breaking out my arm and it is not made to wear anywhere else. Even with that and logging my food I still never lost what I "should" have according to the calculations, but I was to a point where I felt comfortable with my weight and my health. I was actually doing a great job at keeping off the weight until the last couple of months. Not sure what happened, but I need to re-focus and do a better job of eating right and exercising! Glad to be back....

Replies

• dlockhart1955
    dlockhart1955 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You stated that the Body Media Fit broke out your arm, have you tried the FitBit Zip? It clips on.

I am new here.
    Good luck.
  • SkagitYogini
    SkagitYogini Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I've only gained back about 4 lbs, but I wasn't at my goal weight yet. I went right back to most of my old eating habits - most of all eating candy and other sweets, and not logging. Springtime is here, and now's the time for renewal! Let's pledge to ourselves to get healthy and stay that way. I personally will start by drinking more water, something that has gone by the wayside for me in the last couple of months.

Can you wear your calculator on top of your sleeve?

~ Sherry
  • jc4mee
    Options
    Hi Sherry,
    I was doing great most of the winter, even through the holidays, but something happened the last 6-8 weeks where I just started gaining weight. I'm guess that coming back here and logging my food and exercise is a good start!! I've pretty much always got a bottle of water with me, so drinking water isn't a problem for me....candy is :)

Unfortunately the BMF has to be in contact with skin. I am hoping to get it sold and put the money toward something new. Until then, I will log my exercise the old way - life is hard - haha!

I'm with you on pledging to get focused to get healthy!!
  • jc4mee
    Options
    I have only tried the BMF. When I get it sold I am looking at either a FitBit Flex or a Jawbone Up. Until then, I will log my exercise manually.
  • jc4mee
    Options
    I've been logging my meals and staying under my calorie goal. I've stepped up my exercise, but still NOTHING happening. Today we set our Bowflex back up in our exercise room/office and I've gotten started using that. Hopefully the weight training will help. Anyone else that has struggled with losing anything at all when their calorie intake/expenditure shows they should be losing? If so, are you doing any weight training?

I'm ready to drop some pounds!!
  • Nillalis
    Nillalis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i do about 3 hours exercise a day, 1 hour yoga and 2hour walking. ATM i do less cause my knee hurts. 6 months ago i did almost nothing so i have worked my body to this over some months.

When i did no exercise to speak of my body dropped a bit of weight every week that i met my diet goal but i also had a lot to lose by then.

now when i exercise a lot i stand still on the scale for 3-4 weeks then suddenly over a week i can drop 2-5 punds then i stand still again.

i read that building muscles and muscle ache from using them retains a lot of water and i do have to go to bathroom extra many times that week i loose. then again i stop loosing and bounce up and down at that lower weight. Its been like this now for 4 cycles of standing still dropping lots.

i haven't done any weight training to speak of but i heard from others that they don't see any thing ion scale either but they do see that they loose inches and they measure their bodies with a measuring tape. I have done that too and the weeks i don't loose i can see a small change in inches.

good luck
  • jc4mee
    Options
    That's great that you are seeing regular loss, even if it doesn't show every single week. I started with the Bowflex on Saturday and am using it every-other day. I've not been sore, but can definitely feel the muscle fatigue because my arms and legs feel like spaghetti when I'm finished! Today I am to get my elderly mother for a couple of weeks to give my sister a break so I hope that there will be opportunity to get out and walk. She can't be left alone, so it make be tough.

I have not started measuring at this point, but I probably should. I don't really WANT to know how large me waist is!
  • branbuds
    branbuds Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I am not losing weight as I expect to. I am very familiar with dieting as I have been on and off diets for the last 2 decades! :ohwell:
    I am eating at a deficit and exercising regularly, but the weight comes off soooo slowly. This is very different than 5 or 10 years ago for me. I used to be able to get my weight down much easier. Wish that I just kept it off rather than this yoyo pattern. But I am determined to lose it once and for all, change my life and keep it off! It just might take a long time :ohwell: