Is this a result of keto?

Options
Here's my backstory: I may (or may not) have PCOS. I have many of the symptoms, but have never been tested (my doctor won't test unless we have fertility problems, and the OOP cost for me is ~1,500). One of the unpleasant things I have going on is unwanted facial hair. I have a dark mustache and am well on my way to becoming the next bearded lady.

I discussed my worry about having PCOS with my doctor, and I was advised that the best thing I could do was to lose weight, eat a balanced diet, and exercise more. All of these actions would help my hormone levels, and get me healthy for pregnancy (birth control pills are not an option because we are passively trying to conceive).

One of my coworkers was doing Atkins, and lost 30+ lbs. I found out my mother also was on a low-carb diet and lost 35 lbs and was having a lot of success sticking on the diet. So I figured I'd try it out. I started Phase 1 of Atkins, and then while doing research for meals and carb counts I found out more about the keto diet.

I have been doing keto now for almost a week and have lost 7 lbs. I also noticed my "back roll" (the one right below the bra strap) is disappearing, and my front "pouch" is also decreasing. Those are expected results of losing weight, but what is throwing me for a loop is my facial hair is also disappearing. I used to hate getting my picture taken because I was worried it would show through, and I could never keep up with removing it. But about a day or two ago I noticed my facial hair wasn't as noticeable. After further inspection, I discovered it was disappearing. I'm not sure if this is a result of keto, or if it is due to something else (such as going off contraception).

(I keep my macros at 5% carbs (try to stay under 20 though), 25% protein, and 70% fats. I still stay at a calorie deficit eating between 1500 and 1700. My food diary should be open for viewing to see exactly what I eat/where I get my carbs.)

Replies

• rlengland2014
    rlengland2014 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Facial hair in women is due to androgen excess and insulin resistance, at least in women with PCOS. Losing weight will help both those things as well as help you get pregnant.
    I don't understand why your doc won't test you, but you're already doing the right things. Metformin can also help with insulin resistance and conception if you have PCOS.
  • AMPitup89
    AMPitup89 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    From what I read, weight loss and balancing your diet like you have can help your body balance your hormones naturally. Not all women will see quick results in terms of the facial hair reduction. I'm in the same boat as you (i suspect PCOS) and I've been keto for about a month without any hair reduction like you've experienced. I did have a more normal cycle tho!

When you remove grains from your diet and increase fat, you body is able to make more sex hormones and that is likely what is helping you - your body isn't having to produce as much insulin as rapidly so it is able to bring it all back in balance.

Congrats!

If i were you (and I'm not, so take this with a grain of salt), I'd seek out a different doctor. I'm trying to get a appt with a endocrinologist myself who will likely be better informed. I say this because infertility isn't the only concern with PCOS so why is that the only qualifying factor to dig deeper? But yes, losing weight and getting off high carbs and grains can help a lot of woman with PCOS.

Personally, I've read about a lot of positive and negative things about metformin and I'm going to avoid it for a while. I'm focusing on my keto diet to allow my body time to naturally correct itself. I'm trying to get to a doctor soon to test where I stand now because I'd like to see if keto is helping me along. But some women will have a harder time than others so I won't rule it out entirely either.

Anyway, good luck! I hope you continue to see great results with keto!
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and maintaining a keto diet can help a lot of women with PCOS. I'm one of them. The symptoms kinda started disappearing for me, and what was once a polka-dotted ultrasound of my ovaries is now entirely clear.

I would seek a second opinion, but that's just me. It's not common for testing to be denied when you have an onset of symptoms, even without fertility issues. Fertility isn't the only thing that PCOS causes. I mean, I guess it may be because so many women have PCOS and are perfectly fine, but it could also be a serious problem. Not testing is a bit careless, especially when cysts have the capacity of being damaging.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 now but when I was in my 20s it took me forever to get a diagnosis for the same reason, the doctors refused to do testing unless I was trying to conceive and I wasn't. It wasn't until I was in my 30s & then did want to conceive that they sent me for tests & low & behold I had PCOS (what did I tell ya??!!) but by that point I had gained about 50 lbs & my hormones were soooo out of whack it was a real battle to try to get things back to normal. I never did conceive, partly due to this & partly due the fact that we couldn't afford to continue with the super expensive fertility meds.

I say this, if you even have the slightest inkling that you have PCOS stick to low carb or even better Keto, while you're young. Don't wait until a doctor tells you to. take control of your body!!!
  • droogievesch
    Options
    The doctor was my GYN since I really don't have a PCP. She doesn't test because the two ways to control PCOS are contraception (which I refuse to be on) and metformin (which I also refuse to go on). So the only thing really I can do is try to control it through diet and exercise. I didn't push the issue because testing would be $1,500 and that's not money we have sitting around (we don't have health insurance at this time). I'm sure if I pushed it she would have ordered the testing, but we're kind of in a "wait and see" place right now. If I do have problems conceiving then I'd be more open to metformin and testing would make sense.

I just had my Implanon birth control removed on March 25th, so I wasn't sure if the changes I was seeing was due to the diet or due to the change in hormones from b/c
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Many years ago the reproductive nutritionist I was sent to told me this "Other women can eat 1500 calories a day & work out 3 times a week & lose weight. women with pcos don't have the luxury of being lazy with their diet. Some women eat as low as 1200 or below and work out 7 days a week to see results. everyone is different. you need to find what works for you. do not compare your journey with other people, they are not you." And she was so right! Lower your carbs and see how you feel. If you do have pcos you will feel better, its pretty much guaranteed.