Lifting, protein and Vegetarians

Options
teelynn35
teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
Hi, I'm in the middle of P90X3 and when I'm done I want to start lifting, and lifting heavy. I'm cutting way back on meat due to digestion issues I have. Life is just way smoother without meat in my diet. I do drink a protein shake mixed with spinach and fresh fruit almost daily. I've been watching my protein levels (my diary hasn't been the greatest lately, working on that). Anyways,,,, I'd love some ideas on upping my protein intake without adding meat. Any veggie based recipes people could share would be great. Thank you :)

Replies

• jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Are you intending to eat fish? I gave up meat over a year ago, but I eat a lot of tuna/salmon, high protein and omega 3. Also lots of eggs an low fat cottage cheese, and I found a brand of low fat Greek yogurt with just 137 calories per 180g serve and 18g protein. I add it to all sorts of sweet and savoury dishes, especially my overnight oats. During winter I will be making some lentil and bean soups. Theres always tofu if you are really stuck, but with all these things to choose from I rarely bother, though I often have a chocolate protein shake if I do need a top up. In winter I heat it in microvave and add coffee for a delicious mochacino ????
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Dairy, whey, protein bars, egg whites, soy, peas, broccoli, beans. Though the beans may not help your stomach. Lol
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I make seitan regularly. It's the easiest way for me to ensure I have adequate protein. It's similar to chicken breast in micros. I also snack on popcorn with nutritional yeast and make bean or lentil/quinoa soups.

Other quickies for me are greek yogurt with oats and honey and whey protein shakes.

We all have different tastes however. If you look on this group (eat train progress) I believe you can find a post about foods that are high in protein. Look under important posts to read I believe:)
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I can't stand salmon but like a lot of of other fish. I have no issues with beans (except gas) lol. Meat just binds me up. I really appreciate your suggestions
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    FIsh, eggs, greek yogurt, oat bran, fermented soy and lots of plant based protein shakes.
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    We use a lot of dry cottage cheese in recipes .

There is a brand called western that is around 100 calories for 110 grams of cheese which has 22 grams of protein. We put it on tacos, pastas, salads, eggs.

I also love tofurky chorizo. I find that it is pretty high in fat, but it so so yummy!

I also try and make some cookies with protein powder and eggs. I haven't found a great recipe to be honest, but one that I have been using recently is this one: http://thehealthyfoodie.com/high-protein-heatlhy-oatmeal-cookies/
    Depending on which protein powder you use, the calories can be pretty low!

Also, look into canned lupin beans! I love those suckers. They're not the greatest because of the sodium level but they're a yummy high protein snack.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and have a very high (relatively) protein goal. My go to's are:

- greek yogurt
    - skim milk
    - eggs
    - cheese
    - 'fake meat' from seitan and soy products (Gardein, Yves. Hodo Soy etc)

I occasionally use protein powders

This may help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources