I went shoe-crazy! How many pairs do you have?

Options
pobalita
pobalita Posts: 741 Member
Last week, I posted a question about trail shoes and got a lot of good advice, so Saturday morning I set off happily to my favorite running store to pick out a new pair. I ended up with a pair of Brooks Adrenaline ASRs which I love. While I was there, I also tried on the Brooks Ariels and loved those too so they also came home with me. Then Saturday afternoon, my friend told me that the Brooks outlet was having their annual clearance sale - what?? there is a Brooks outlet near me??? Why did I not know this?? I came home with two more pairs of last season's Adrenalines - one road and one trail.

I feel like the Imelda Marcos of running shoes! With the four new pairs, my two pairs of Sauconys (almost ready for retirement), and my beater New Balance that I only use for 5K mud runs, I have seven pairs of running shoes.

Just curious - how many pair of shoes do you have? I need to know I'm not insane. :)

Replies

• DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I have 5 pairs in rotation currently with a new pair of Kinvara's in the closet waiting to get called up.

Before you ask:

Kinvara 3 and 4 - every day use
    Virrata - short runs (< 10K)
    Cortana - long runs (>13 miles)
    Merrel Mix Master - trails
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Brooks Pure flow - Short runs
    Brooks Pure cadence2 - long runs
    Nike Lunafly - everyday walking shoe
    Salomon Crossmax - trail running
    ascis kayano 19's - These are currently in retirement for when I do Tough Mudder or spartan race.
    and I'm looking at getting a pair of newtons

you can never have too many shoes.
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It's well known that the more shoes you have the quicker you will be in your own head.... so:

Brooks Ghost 6- long runs and if I had one choice of shoe this would be it.
    Nike Pagasus 30- Long run and new choice but have had a few blisters so far
    New Balance 1080 V3- Lighter weight 5 & 10k shoes, soon going into retirement
    Brooks Pure Cadence V2- Won in a competition and have only run one 5k in so far but feel great.
    Brooks Green Silence. My 5k weapon of choice
    Brooks Cascadia 8. Trail Shoe

I have an semi-retired pair of Brooks Ghost that I leave in the car just in case i need some emergency running shoes!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Brooks Ravenna 5 - new, and working them in the rotation once or twice a week, long runs
    Brooks Ravenna 4 - reaching the end of life
    Mizuno Wave Inspire 9 - shorter to medium runs, faster runs
    Mizuno Wave Elixir 7 - shorter runs, faster runs
    Puma Mobium Elite - track work
    Montrail Bahada - longer trail runs
    ASICS Fuji Racer - trail races, short trail runs
    New Balance Minimus 00 - trying these once a week for a short easy run
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Mizuno Wave Riders - everyday trainer
    Mizuno Wave Ekiden - speedwork, 5K/10K races
    Salomon Speedcross - rough trails

Currently shopping for ultra trail shoes (easy trails), and need to get some new shoes into rotation for different types of runs.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    If my husband asks, I only have one or two pair:

Sayonaras - easy runs
    Brooks Pure Flows - easy runs
    (both make me feel beat up during the longer runs...so maybe I need a bit more shoe for longer runs?)
    Pearl Izumi N2 for trail runs

And another pair of something that has more control than I need now that I still wear if I have a niggle somewhere.
  • brentb71
    brentb71 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Current rotation:
    Road:
    Brooks Adrenaline GTS 13 in Red
    Brooks Adrenaline GTS 13 in Blue
    Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12 in Blue (rainy day shoes)
    Trail:
    Brooks Cascadia 7 in Red
    Brooks Cascadia 7 in Blue
    Merrell Mix Master 2

I should probably upgrade to the Cascadia 8's before they disappear. I find I get a much longer life out of trail shoes than road shoes with equal mileage. I'll upgrade to the GTS 14's soon after the 15's come out.
  • k_perlinger
    k_perlinger Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have way too many tennis shoes, but I'm currently only rotating two for my runs:

Brooks Ravenna 5
    Adrenaline GTS 14

Total Brooks snob - glad to see I'm not alone!
  • brentb71
    Options
    Thanks to this thread I can now add Brooks Cascadia 8 in Blue to my trail shoe rotation. 6pm.com had 1 left in my size at 46% off.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

Brooks Cascadia 7 in Red
    Merrell Mix Master 2
    How do the Cascadia's compare to Mix Master? I like the feel of the MM upper but the lack of any cushioning is a problem if/when the trail gets rocky.
  • brentb71
    Options

Brooks Cascadia 7 in Red
    Merrell Mix Master 2
    How do the Cascadia's compare to Mix Master? I like the feel of the MM upper but the lack of any cushioning is a problem if/when the trail gets rocky.

They have quite a bit more cushioning but are noticeably heavier. I have the same issue as you with the MM. Love the way they feel and I definitely feel faster in them than the Cascadia but I can only use them on shorter runs or less rugged trails due to the lack of cushioning.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I have 2 pair of Mizuno Wave Rider 16s that I alternate between. I'm going to try on the 17s this week-end...and might be adding a pair of those, or something else similar to my collection.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    All my shoes are Saucony:

Hurricane 11s with about 600 kms in them that I use on the rowing machine and for resistance training

Three pairs of Hurricane 15s, one virgin, one with 100km and one with about 250km in them

One pair of Excursion GTX trail shoes - I'm doing quite a lot of trail work at the moment and planning on a couple of long disance trails later in the year so I'll probably invest in another pair of these quite soon.

fwiw I'm finding that the outsole on the 15s isn't as resilient as the 11s, so I'm not over the moon with them at the moment.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I would love to go shoe crazy, but alas, the budget gods do not permit it! I have two pair. One for the road and one for trail. Both are Brooks. The Beast and the Cascadia. I will be saving up some frogskins to buy some clown shoes (Hoka's) before I get into the higher mileage portion of my training plan. I'm hoping that they will help save my knees (along with shedding some poundage).
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Nike Pegasus + 28 - retired and now wear them on my dog walks.
    Nike Pegasus + 29 - 2 pairs (active and alternate b/w them)
    Nike Pegasus + 30 buying a pair on Saturday for this season
  • legallyblonde916
    legallyblonde916 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have like 7 pairs of Brooks Ghost that I rotate, with designated rain shoes. They fit me so perfectly that I can't run in anything else, except on trail.... but then it's still Brooks, but the Adrenaline ASR, 2 pairs.

I still have a few old pairs of Saucony that didn't go past their mileage, but they just don't feel right anymore.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I only have 2 that I use for running, Brooks Glycerin 11 and Ghost 6. I have a worn pair of Ghosts that I wear to work, and a few other pairs that are too worn for anything but yard work. I'm waiting for the Ghost GTX to go one sale then I'll get a pair for next winter.
  • NiikouruDesu
    Options
    I only have one old pair of nikes. I feel like I have to go shoe shopping after reading this. Oh what a shame!!
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have 2 in rotation, but 5 pair in all. I like to have the same model waiting & being broken in with walking before I run. Saucony Cohesion for road Excursion TR7 for trail.
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I tend to find a model I like and buy several pairs. Right now it's the Brooks Ravenna 4-- I have two pairs in my closet and one on the way from Amazon. Thinking about adding a trail shoe at some point-- any recs for someone who's midway between a neutral and stability shoe?