Cardio - How Much

Options
beckty
beckty Posts: 118 Member
I know there's a ton of info out there on lifting and cardio. Should you do both. When should you do it. Etc etc etc...

I have been doing pretty much what I should NOT be doing and need to change things up as I get back into this workout.

I have been attempting to make a "runner" out of myself by running intervals 3x's a week on the treadmill (I think I will go back to the C25K if i continue. I am struggling to get very consistent) But here's where I've probably gone wrong. I have been getting that 35 min or so of cardio in before weights. Mainly because I thought I'd be too worn out after.

And I am doing it all on the same day, because I have limited time and have been trying to make the most of my gym time.

I am not sure what I should be doing here, and I'd love some input.

Replies

• rdkstar
    rdkstar Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I guess the important question is what is your priority. Are you wanting to run a set distance, lose body fat, improve endurance, build strength, etc?
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I guess the important question is what is your priority. Are you wanting to run a set distance, lose body fat, improve endurance, build strength, etc?

This. Determine your goals first and those will determine your training.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

^This also.
  • beckty
    Options
    Good point. I guess most importantly at the moment is to lose body fat.
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I am needing to know as well!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's going to depend on your goals. You do not have to do cardio to optimize fat loss. However, I like to eat foods, so I incorporate cardio.

I have struggled with finding cardio that I enjoy. If you enjoy running go for it (my digestive system apparently takes offense to running). I personally have decided to lift three times a week, cardio three times a week, and have two full rest days, which if you math, means one two a day.

Two of my cardio days are a 10 minute warm up on the elliptical and then a barbell complex, which only takes about 15minutes. That's it. I go in, knock it out and am out the door. My other cardio is steady state elliptical; boring, but gets the burn in. On the day I have two workouts, I lift in the morning before work and go in the afternoon after work for cardio (one of my barbell complex days). Lifting that morning drastically affects my ability to do cardio in the afternoon.

So, keep in mind if you do cardio and lifting on the same day (or in the same gym session), whatever you do second is going to be severely limited. If you are more interested in becoming a better runner, run first. If you are more interested in strength gains, lift first. If you just want to lose fat, I'd lift first (but that's mostly personal preference).
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    If you have a body fat loss goal, I would suggest lifting and then doing shorter cardio 10-15 min at a higher intensity. Now, here is why I suggest that.....it works for me. I know, I know, what works for me may not work for you, but I do have some reasoning behind that from some of the research I have done.

I will typically do HIIT plyometric style supersets or run just one mile as quickly as I can after lifting....this helps me use up as much of my glycogen stores and I see a better overall fat burn than when I do cardio on other days. Basically, I'm doing metabolic finishers. There is research showing that the lower amount of glycogen your body has to use as fuel, the more fat loss you will have while eating at a deficit. Reducing glycogen stores can be managed by reducing carb intake and/or burning it off through intense exercise. I chose the exercise route and aim to burn it out in the gym.

Here is an article that has research studies
    http://www.metaboliceffect.com/fat-loss-and-glycogen/
  • beckty
    Options

Two of my cardio days are a 10 minute warm up on the elliptical and then a barbell complex, which only takes about 15minutes. That's it. I go in, knock it out and am out the door. My other cardio is steady state elliptical; boring, but gets the burn in. On the day I have two workouts, I lift in the morning before work and go in the afternoon after work for cardio (one of my barbell complex days). Lifting that morning drastically affects my ability to do cardio in the afternoon.

Thanks much! This is really very helpful. And I am interested in what this barbell complex is??? I really really want to be a runner. I don't know why. But during the "run" (loosely used term there) I am hating hating hating. However, before and after I am looking forward to it, or feeling awesome for my accomplishment. I just get BORED. Running in a straight line on a treadmill is not my thing. As the weather improves I may try for some outside runs more often (though I realize they are harder) ... but all of that said, cardio based on resistance training sounds more my style.
  • beckty
    Options
    If you have a body fat loss goal, I would suggest lifting and then doing shorter cardio 10-15 min at a higher intensity. Now, here is why I suggest that.....it works for me. I know, I know, what works for me may not work for you, but I do have some reasoning behind that from some of the research I have done.

This sounds very doable for me. (although a run after squat sets does sound....challenging)

Thanks for the info! I will read up soon and adjust my workout accordingly.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I too do HIIT instead of steady state cardio...not a big fan of that.

now once spring actually gets here..I will be on my bike which I do enjoy...
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    yay, in for being curious myself. I am not a fan of cardio, but I would love to be able to eat a bit more (aka don´t habe to be THAT strict).

Interested in the barbell complex as well and HIT: I read that there are different kinds of doing this - like lifting and cardio. What do you do?

@beckty: I understand what you said about the running, I feel the same - although until now I´ve never made it that far that i enjoyed it afterwards or felt great about it. Most of the time I try it I feel like a loser for not being able to hang on :-D
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Two of my cardio days are a 10 minute warm up on the elliptical and then a barbell complex, which only takes about 15minutes.
    I want to hear more about your experience with barbell complexes! I've toyed with the idea of them, since they're like HIIT but with my favorite toy. I am never inspired to do HIIT at home, and it's awkward to try and do bodyweight stuff at my gym (space issues).

What kind of complex do you do?
  • Neonbeige
    Options
    OMG, there´s a cardiohaters.com lmao

Had to google the barball complexes, wow! I actually can avoid cardio, jippie!

this is great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_mvuaeM3hk
  • beckty
    Options

@beckty: I understand what you said about the running, I feel the same - although until now I´ve never made it that far that i enjoyed it afterwards or felt great about it. Most of the time I try it I feel like a loser for not being able to hang on :-D

Well I think first, neither of us should feel like losers for trying! My husband started running like 6 months ago and he's super competitive with himself and pushes 3 miles some days. And I keep comparing myself to him. I MUST stop. I've managed a mile and even 1.25 miles straight and felt pretty good. But MOST days (even since those good runs) I am killing myself to make a half mile straight before having to walk and I am sick of beating myself up over it. Yeah. Cardio and I are not good friends.

Good things that HAVE come from my running attempts? Seriously much better cardio health. My resting heart rate is better, and my recovery to a normal rate are even better than I would have expected. And also, my ability to ski this winter (due to stronger legs, even before I got back on the lifting/squats) was awesome! I loved it. So, totally worthwhile even if I can't feel confident enough to do a 5K yet.
  • beckty
    Options
    OMG, there´s a cardiohaters.com lmao

Had to google the barball complexes, wow! I actually can avoid cardio, jippie!

this is great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_mvuaeM3hk

Ok, yep. I definitely need to check that out. And also need to commit myself to 2 more days of workouts (I am only doing 3 right now) if I want to start hitting some of my goals.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    For running, I CANNOT RUN ON A TREADMILL. Seriously. Last time I tried, I fell off and needed at tetanus shot! Running outside is much better, but I'm still not a fan.

My barbell complex I found on bodybuilding.com. It was designed by Chad Waterbury as essentially HIIT. It's a circuit with a barbell consisting of:

12 reverse lunges
    12 Romanian deadlifts
    12 good mornings
    6 front squats
    6 OHP
    6 bentover rows
    12 floor presses

Basically, you do those all in a row with no rests as a circuit, rest 60-90 seconds, and then repeat. He suggests total of 3-5 circuits. I was doing 4, but joined a new gym with little access to preweighted bars in the afternoon, so I ended up going up 15lbs (now using the olympic bar) and dropped a circuit. Hopefully as my strength/stamina improves, I can add the extra circuit back in.

For determining weight for barbell complexes, you go with the weakest lift (OHP for me). I am doing about 70lbs as working weight 3x5 for SL, so I figured 30lbs was a good place to start with doing 6 reps in the middle of other stuff. I'm surviving at 45lbs, but my arms hurt long before my legs do.

ETA: I know it's not a good indicator of anything, but I sweat SO MUCH MORE doing barbell complexes than my steady state day.
  • beckty
    Options
    For running, I CANNOT RUN ON A TREADMILL. Seriously. Last time I tried, I fell off and needed at tetanus shot! Running outside is much better, but I'm still not a fan.

My barbell complex I found on bodybuilding.com. It was designed by Chad Waterbury as essentially HIIT. It's a circuit with a barbell consisting of:

12 reverse lunges
    12 Romanian deadlifts
    12 good mornings
    6 front squats
    6 OHP
    6 bentover rows
    12 floor presses

Basically, you do those all in a row with no rests as a circuit, rest 60-90 seconds, and then repeat. He suggests total of 3-5 circuits. I was doing 4, but joined a new gym with little access to preweighted bars in the afternoon, so I ended up going up 15lbs (now using the olympic bar) and dropped a circuit. Hopefully as my strength/stamina improves, I can add the extra circuit back in.

For determining weight for barbell complexes, you go with the weakest lift (OHP for me). I am doing about 70lbs as working weight 3x5 for SL, so I figured 30lbs was a good place to start with doing 6 reps in the middle of other stuff. I'm surviving at 45lbs, but my arms hurt long before my legs do.

ETA: I know it's not a good indicator of anything, but I sweat SO MUCH MORE doing barbell complexes than my steady state day.

That sounds like an incredible workout! And fun too! I am probably right where you are on weights, so just the bar would be around right starting point I suppose guess. Also, it'd be much easier to snag a bar to myself for that workout. And actually, I happen to have an Olympic bar at home, so I think this one I could do without a squat rack (that's mainly what I am missing from the home set up)

And by your weightloss ticker, I'd say you are doing something right! I am looking to lose right about 50 lbs.
  • Neonbeige
    Options

12 reverse lunges
    12 Romanian deadlifts
    12 good mornings
    6 front squats
    6 OHP
    6 bentover rows
    12 floor presses

That sounds really awesome! I am gonna get myself a barbell, so I will be able to do this at home! Thanks for the explanation :-)
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    I think wanting to "be a runner" is a totally awesome goal and pretty separate from other goals. I run 4-6 times a week 3-4 miles at a time and have been for a long time. My running obviously does not maximize any kind of weight loss goals because I weigh over 200 pounds. lol.

Running faster and running long is about putting in the time (eventually the miles). Do C25K slowly and don't treat it like HIIT - I feel like thats a great way to injure yourself. New runners build cardiovascualr endurance much quicker than muscle/bone/tendon endurance, especially folks who a heavier than average (don't know if that's true for you but it sure is true for me). Run slower if you can't do the time - and repeat c25k workouts if you need to. No shame in that, at all. Avoiding injury is so important when you are ramping up into regular longer-distance running.

Once you are easily running 30 minutes or so at a time without stopping (and I mean easily, not huffing and puffing and checking your watch every 10 seconds) I think its fine to do that on lifting days. I do not feel like my runs - even my 4 mile runs - impact my lifting much.

Try running outside maybe and splitting your runs from your lifts - run outside in the morning maybe and lift at the gym at night.

I am of the opinion that humans evolved to do quite a bit of low-intensity "cardio" everyday - walking across mountains, farming, etc. - and I think slow running for longer periods of time fits into that scheme nicely. Its super good for you, IMO. So go for it!
  • beckty
    Options
    New runners build cardiovascualr endurance much quicker than muscle/bone/tendon endurance, especially folks who a heavier than average (don't know if that's true for you but it sure is true for me).

Yep, this has definitely been true for me. I am 50 lbs overweight. Bummer to hear that the running (you run a LOT) isn't taking off the fat more quickly!