At my wits end

Options
LKHailey
LKHailey Posts: 7 Member
Three weeks ago, I decided to clean up my diet and get serious about this again. But all that's happened is I have gained a pound.

Some history -- After being effortlessly slender my whole life, even after three kids, I gained a huge amount of weight about ten years ago. My job duties changed from being very active and on my feet most of the day, to working a desk job. I was under tremendous stress, and I also quit smoking. When the first few pounds appeared, I followed the popular advice and cut fat and calories. It worked for a while, but the weight would come back. I'd cut more ... and gain more. Added in cardio exercise and just wanted to eat the sofa. Finally, I had an extra 60 pounds on my small, 5'1" frame. Low cal, low fat, Weight Watchers, every night in the gym and I'd lose a little, gain back more as soon as I ate anything. I ended up tipping the scales at over 170.

In desperation, I tried Medifast - like Nutrisystem only worse - packaged, powdered, soy protein based meals that provided less than 800 calories a day and almost no fat. I did finally lose 35 pounds over the 5 months I was on this diet, but at a huge price. I was always tired, losing my hair, depressed and anxious, female issues ... and then I discovered Gary Taubes' "Why We Get Fat" and realized I was killing myself.

I went the Atkins route for about 6 months. But I could not lose any more weight. I had already stalled on the Medifast for the last month, losing nothing, so I was trying to be patient while my body and metabolism adjusted to a more normal caloric intake that included the fats my body had been starving for. Went to the doctor - of course I was scolded for eating so much fat, but my lab work showed low thyroid function. I got on treatment for that with dessicated thyroid, plus supplements for iron, Vitamin D, magnesium and more. And despite eating a clean, low carb, high fat diet, I started gaining weight again. After about a year, I got off the thyroid medication, because it obviously was not helping.

I dropped the whole Atkins thing ... I was tired of tracking carbs, and pretty much had a good handle on what was low carb and what wasn't. I drifted more into a modified paleo or primal diet. I also experimented with elimination of some foods to see if I had any intolerances - dairy, eggs, nightshade veggies. The only thing I really react to is wheat. I tried increasing the carbs some, up to about 50 - 80 a day ... and gained more weight and it also messed with my blood sugar.

I got more and more frustrated and pretty much gave up. I was eating rice and corn, fruits and not much caring what happened, until I really noticed that I was having blood sugar problems, and also found that I was reacting to corn too. So, here I am ...

I came upon a meal plan, called Personal Trainer Foods. These are meals, delivered frozen, made from real meats and vegetables. I went with the all meat option, supplementing with my own veggies. I am lazy, completely unmotivated and if I cook, I will take shortcuts ... so while this is not ideal, this works for me. Heat and eat, and I am good to go.

I am tracking my calories here, aiming for 1250 - 1300 a day. I've done really well with hitting my target. I got a treadmill and I am trying to use that for some gentle walking, also weighted hoola hoop and I may try to get in some yoga. I've been at this for three weeks now, and all I have to show for it a one pound GAIN, which puts me two pounds away from heaviest weight ever.

Ugghhh ... I just want to sit here and cry into a hot fudge sundae.

Is there anything else I can try? Or is this just a lost cause?

Replies

• tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I can totally sense your frustration, and applaud you for reaching out for help and support. I have no experience with thyroid issues, so I won't be able to speak to that. And I can't see your food diary, so it's kind of hard to know where your macros are. But my best guess would be to take a look at the following:

Too much protein
    Not enough fat
    Too few calories
    Not enough water (?)

My sister is also trying the Personal Trainer packaged foods thing and she loves the convenience. However, when I looked at the nutrition macros for the program it was very low carb, HIGH protein, and low(er) fat, and low cal. In my experience, that doesn't work for me.

Check out this tool to see what your recommended macros would be for a ketogenic diet: http://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/

You've done a TON of different programs to try to get a handle on things, and a ketogenic way of eating is going to go against everything that you've been told to do for success to this point. The key is to make sure that you focus on the other benefits besides watching the scale move and not panic when it doesn't. There will be other signs that it's working: You'll have more energy, better sleep, better hair/skin, relief from gastric issues, your clothes will start fitting better...the list goes on and on. In my experience, my scale can often stall for weeks and then drop by 3-6 pounds all at once when I've not changed a single thing. You have to have faith that if you're following the plan the scale will eventually catch up. :-)

The only thing I've ever had success with for weight loss/management and general overall improved health is low carb. It's sustainable and satisfying for me. I started w/ Atkins and was always most comfortable sticking w/ 20-30 net carbs a day, so I pretty much fell into the Keto plan by default. I've had my ups and downs and am currently working to get weight off that was the consequence of getting sloppy w/ my eating, taking a more sedentary job, and losing my workout routine (Curves) due to my local clubs shutting down. But I'm back in to this way of eating for about a month now and feeling great, and was just released from my doc (foot injury) today so can start easing back into a new exercise routine (my dog will be very, very pleased about this!)

Hope that helps and feel free to send a friend request!
  • LKHailey
    Options
    Thanks for the kind response.

I too had the same concerns with the PT foods being low fat, so I am making a point of adding fat to them, starting with my morning coffee with a tablespoon of coconut oil and a good splash of heavy cream. I'm putting butter on everything, adding avocado, snacking on macadamias, etc. I set my food diary to public, if you want to take a look. I started tracking my food on 3/22. I have been completely negligent in tracking exercise, it's not as bad as it looks ...
  • AMPitup89
    AMPitup89 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to the thyroid issue but there is a lot of great alternative information out there. From what I understand, the thyroid is hard to kick start and correct. Have you ever heard of Sean Croxton? He has a great radio program and website and does a lot of interviews on various health topics. I know he did a thyroid summit recently too but I think its a paid seminar with a lot of different doctors presenting on the topic so it sounds like it could be an investment for you.

Personally, I'm dealing with hormonal imbalance/PCOS and the scale has become a little stubborn for me. But it takes a while for things to get going. I feel your pain.

I concur with the other poster on the protein levels - too much protein isn't a good thing. I almost tried that same program as well! I would suggest adding butter to the veggies and possibly swapping out one meal with some keto recipes to get your fat up. Fat does wonderful things - I'm reading Grain Brain right now and I'm convinced I will need to eat this way forever.

For me, when I first did atkins, I focused only on net carb count. I didn't consider fat much. And in retrospect, I was getting too much protein and not enough fat. While I felt better in a lot of ways, I still had cravings and ate quite a bit more than I probably needed. Now that i'm truly keto adapted (confirmed by ketone meter), I can intermittent fast in the mornings with no problem and I don't crave things like i used to. And when I do treat myself to a keto mug cake with whip cream (awesome recipes online), I don't start kraving krispy kreme! I didn't get that when I was only focused on carbs. And those stupid atkins bars? addicting!

Also, I find that my body is naturally satisfied with about 1,100-1,300 calories while on keto. While I'm heavy, I'm on the short side with a desk job so my energy requirements aren't all that great. Lately when I try to eat more calories, I end up way too full. So instead I'm just listening to my body when it tells me I'm satisfied/full.

Despite my condition, I find that a diet of about 75% fat, 17% protein, 8% carbs (myfitnesspal considers total carb count in the macro graph, not net carb) with about 15-30 net carbs plus a gallon of water a day is allowing me to see losses on the scale, albeit, slower than other keto gals. (nothing else has worked for me so thats ok!).

Also consider some supplements like MCT oil and ALA (Alpha Lipoic Acid) as i've heard this has helped people in plateaus.
  • KetoCassy
    Options
    The ladies above me are giving great advice that has also worked for me recently. I lost over 100 lbs between 2008 and 2009 and then got divorced and went into what I call the Loathing in Las Vegas phase of my life....full of self hate for failure, eating and drinking whatever I felt like and generally disregarding all of my health.

Fast forward from 2010 to now, I had gained back around 40 lbs. I tried to get back on Atkins which is how I lost it the first time and there's just too much temptation with all the specialty products to binge or go off because of the artificial sweeteners.

I decided to give true Keto a try this time and I'm finding comfort in its' simplicity. You do need to either follow a plan, like ruled.me for a month to get into the swing of things or you can design your own but you do need to track for a bit to stay on top of it and learn what you should be doing. Once you are eating right, you won't crave like you used to because a fat bomb for instance will give you the same satiety that other sugary crap does without the sh*tty guilt feelings afterward.

Check out the site that got me started (www.ruled.me) and mull it over for a few days, he really breaks it down and makes it easy. Quest bars are also a lifesaver! They taste great and they are the best on the go food aside from a bag of macadamia nuts that I've found. The fat will tide you over and you won't go looking for trouble.

Feel free to friend me,I'm always open to new friends and am happy to support any time.

Cass
  • LKHailey
    Options
    Here's the summary of my food diary since I started tracking on March 22:
    https://www.evernote.com/shard/s1/sh/f685abb1-20a4-4092-a6d9-76830704ce9d/8269013e6a6e8556a5d86a2438c4f1ed

My goals are set to keto levels - when MFP doesn't randomly reset them, that is
    Net Calories Consumed* / Day 1,278 cal/day
    Carbs / Day 32.0 g
    Fat / Day 99.0 g
    Protein / Day 64.0 g

My Keto Calculator from http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ says
    BMR: 1332
    TDE: 1831

With 42% body fat you have 45kg (99lbs) of lean body mass, and 32kg (71lbs) of body fat. This includes about 5.5kg (12lbs) of essential body fat that you must not lose.

My personal macros: (Which I have input into MFP as closely as possible)
    1278 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    32 g Carbohydrates (10%, 128 kcal)
    64 g Protein (20%, 256 kcal)
    99 g Fat (70%, 894 kcal)

I really don't want to drop the carbs much lower, as I don't want to tax my thyroid and adrenals again. Six month in Atkins Induction after a severe calorie restricted low fat diet for 5 months near to damn killed me.