spaghetti

Options
jakejacobsen
jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
A house hold favorite is spaghetti for sure. So tonight we are making spaghetti squash for a noodle substitute. But the squash just doesn't say how many servings it has on it.. So can you help? How much squash do you eat when you make it as noodles 2 cups (200) grams is about all the carbs I want but unsure how to tell how much will come out of the squash as its whole.

Do you fork it or leave it when you serve it?

What do you use as a noodle substitute? ( I was going to use cabbage strips but I am trying to mix it up)

Any suggestions will be great!

Replies

• shuki_cotren
    shuki_cotren Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    This week I am doing meatballs & red sauce...no noodles necessary. I find I like simpler meals... although some people would say spaghetti squash is a pretty easy thing to make for noodles. Sorry I can't help you on the servings..the closest thing I've got is from Paleomg recipes that use spagetti squash. She says 1 large spaghetti squash (600 g) is for 3-4 servings in a couple of her recipes. Since those recipes include extra ingredients, I would say 3 servings for a large spaghetti squash, but I don't have the experience to back myself up on it.

http://paleomg.com/creamy-avocado-spinach-chicken-pasta/
    http://paleomg.com/almost-5-ingredient-pizza-spaghetti-pie/

I have a spiralizer that I got from amazon that I don't use much... but so far I've only used it for zucchini, to make zucchini noodles. It was VERY good... I'm not a huge fan of the other squashes, so for me zucchini is my number 1 noodle substitute. However, when making soup, I've heard about Paleo Egg Drop soup, and you can make noodles by drizzling raw scrambled egg into a hot soup on the stove. That's the next thing I'm going to try.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    When you scoop out the squash you will see how much you have. The squash varies greatly in size. I usually get 4 cups of noodles from a fairly small one. I find one cup adequate for a serving for me. I'm heavy handed with the meat and sauce too. I also like zucchini noodles and kelp noodles. I don't always use noodles either. I will eat meat sauce alone or spoon it over raw spinach, lettuce, cabbage, or cooked broccoli and/or cauliflower. I make my own rules.

I bake my spaghetti squash and as I scoop it out is seems to separate nicely. I add butter, ghee or some kind of healthy fat to it as well.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I top quinoa with the spaghetti sauce....have also just eaten it over a baked sweet potato before.
  • bigsicklittlesick
    bigsicklittlesick Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I usually get about 2 large plate fulls, if not more, with an average size squash. But I don't measure my food or track calories so I have NO idea how many grams that is.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I use miracle noodles occasionally, and it provides a really good noodly texture. There are a lot of imitations out there, which has fillers and soy, so if you get em, make sure that they don’t have soy or gluten. They are zero calories, 1g carb and have nothing in them really. The only ingredients, should be yam flour, filtered water, and a calcium additive.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I use miracle noodles occasionally, and it provides a really good noodly texture. There are a lot of imitations out there, which has fillers and soy, so if you get em, make sure that they don’t have soy or gluten. They are zero calories, 1g carb and have nothing in them really. The only ingredients, should be yam flour, filtered water, and a calcium additive.

For those who have never heard them called 'miracle noodles', it's shiratake noodles.

I use kelp noodles (http://kelpnoodles.com/products_seatangle_noodles.html) - they're similar in texture to cellophane (sai fun) noodles.
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    So I decided to give kelp noodles a try and yum, much better than the shiratake noodles IMO!!
    Here's what I made for lunch, with less than 3g carbs per serving and low calorie (1/2 the pot):

meal1.jpg
    meal2.jpg
    meal3.jpg
  • pbjonrye
    pbjonrye Posts: 25
    Options
    So I decided to give kelp noodles a try and yum, much better than the shiratake noodles IMO!!
    Here's what I made for lunch, with less than 3g carbs per serving and low calorie (1/2 the pot):

meal1.jpg
    meal2.jpg
    meal3.jpg

mmm…looks great! I do love shirataki noodles myself but have never tried the kelp ones. Can you find those at Asian markets too and are they usually in the fridge section?
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Asian markets for sure, but some health food stores carry them also.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    mmm…looks great! I do love shirataki noodles myself but have never tried the kelp ones. Can you find those at Asian markets too and are they usually in the fridge section?
    I get mine at our local Natural Foods Co-op. They keep them in the fridge, but the product website says that isn't necessary before opening.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Whenever I make spaghetti squash, I get enough to serve 2 adults for what seems like days on end... more than I can eat before I get sick of it. Probably 4-6 servings of it per squash.

I much prefer zucchini noodles. I use a julieene slicer. Easy peasy.
    Meat sauce on shredded cabbage is good too.