My daily glasses of wine

Options
liannap
liannap Posts: 91 Member
I know that I should not drink if I want to loose weight, yet, I drink - daily. But, reading through the various blogs, I realized that I am not the only one. So, why not get together and see if we can beat the booze and embrace weight loss together.

Replies

• Lori_Wilkerson
    Lori_Wilkerson Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Same here, sorry to say. Not many days go by that I don't have a drink (or more). Heck, if I did nothing else but cut out the alcohol I'd probably lose a significant amount of weight. Hopefully we can all support each other, on our good days and our bad!
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    While I don't drink daily (anymore) - I used to have a glass or two of wine every evening! :drinker: Now I have been able to cut back to only weekends! And that's my friends fault! :bigsmile: We just have too much fun together and beer or "Randa-Ritas" always seem to find their way into our hands! And now my hubby and the other husbands are MAKING BEER!

But seriously.... I would like to cut myself back to one night each weekend! So let's do this!! :flowerforyou:
  • liannap
    Options
    Welcome to the group! I feel quite excited as i believe that we CAN do it together.
    Talk soon.
    Lianna
  • liannap
    Options
    Fantastic! Not easy though with a beer making husband. My husband is a connoisseur of boutique beers and his friend brews the liquid! It is always a pleasure to get together and try the latest. However, I will have to bow out - the thought of wearing my "little clothes" again should make it possible to say No, thanks and have a soda lime and bitters instead.
    Cheers!
    Lianna
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am trying hard to cut down a lot, I am having diet tonic water which I like, and also Coopers ultra lite beer, from the supermarksoft drinks section. It tastes quite good and I don't feel so deprived while hubs is having his Resch's stubbies. Haven't tried the non alcohol wine though, would rather wait and just have a glass of the good stuff now and then. :) Diet ginger beer is really nice too, Saxby's though I don't like the Bundaberg one at all.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Daily wine drinker here as well. I am at goal but truthfully I wouldn't have to exercise so much if I cut the wine out. I love wine and its the only alcohol I like but it really should go.. I'm visiting my nephew next week in Florida who has been through alcohol rehab 3 or 4 times now so you can bet I won't be drinking then but I should do this for me too
  • ellen2277
    ellen2277 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 6 days into my diet of no (little) carbs and no drinks. So far, so good...I was so hungry today at Walmart that I had to buy an apple and eat it while I was waiting for my husband's prescription! So far, not wanting a drink!
  • Mylolamia
    Mylolamia Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I too was loving my glass of wine each day while preparing and during dinner but a huge lightbulb went off when back in January while seeing my doctor, I had two options. I take blood pressure meds, have been for about fifteen years now. I told him how much I would love to get off these meds. His comment was "you have two choices: give up wine and stop taking meds, or continue drinking wine and keep on taking the meds". I was so shocked by this comment, but it really got the wheels turning and decided if this is what had to be done, I would do it. I did not drink that much, usually about 6-10 ounces a day, a little more on weekends for a total of on average about 50-60 ounces a week. So, I decided to do something about it. I mentioned my doctor's comments to my friends on MFP, receiving lots of support and one of my friends and I decided to have Wineless Wednesdays! I stopped on Wednesdays, then easily stopped during the week. Now, I drink Perrier or Pellegrino or occasionally a Coke Zero depending on my meal. I love to cook, make all my own gourmet-stye meals so not having wine with them is sometimes not easy. Saturday and Sunday I will still have six ounces only or if going out with friends or DH for dinner, will have a glass at that meal and then only Saturday OR Sunday, not both. It feels good to be in control again, it did not take long, I feel good, my blood pressure readings are now normal, I am happy, my doctor is happy. Still taking minimal meds resigned to the fact that a lot of it is genetic, both my parents had high BP, but working on getting my potassium levels up as they are a little low, and will see if this makes a difference. Dropping most of the wine also has helped me get to my goal of losing 26 lbs. I am now on maintenance.
  • rdvorak
    rdvorak Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I've decided that in order to really get the pounds off, I need to stop drinking my wine :) I love it, but it's got to go. This is a great idea for a group! I made it to the gym tonight and had no wine..... Yay!
  • liannap
    Options
    Hello Everyone! When I started this group this morning I wondered if it would take off. Within five minutes we had eight members and now, five hours later we are with eighteen. All in all the group serves a purpose.

I am currently on holidays and I had planned to start this group after Easter but that would be another two weeks or so that we would allow ourselves to take in far more cals than we should. And, let's face it, there is always a reason (or excuse?) to fill a glass and drink it.
    So, during lunch today, rather than two craft beers, I chose mineral water with lemon as shown on the picture of our Group. Well done me.????

I wish all our members lots of luck and happy loosing.
    Talk soon.
    Lianna
  • liannap
    Options
    I agree, SFD, with support the goals are easier reached and with supports the journey is far more fun!
    Cheers ????
    Lianna
  • pattysparkle
    pattysparkle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I think this is the group for me, I dip in and out of diets and forums but have not really participated. I have been a fairly heavy drinker for many years don't think I'm dependent but it is a habit and now that I'm not working and living in a holiday resort in Turkey every day could be a holiday!

I have put on a stone in the 18 months I have been here and have started a new diet every week since November!!
    One of my problems is I can't seem to make my mind up which diet I really want to follow. Over the years I have got to my goal with weight watchers and slimming world only for it to creep back on.

I like the thinking behind low carb but it seems so strict!

Firstly I'm going to try stopping drinking in the house and cut down what I drink socially. There are not many low cal drinks here and I don't like cola much apart from all of the bad press it has. The good thing is it's acceptable to drink water in bars & restaurants here :)

Good luck everyone x
  • liannap
    Options
    Hello PatsySparkle!
    Have you ever considered the Mediterrean Diet, which is not really a diet but a way of eating. Especially with you living in Turkey you could stick to it effortlessly. If you are interested, I can send you a link to download their cookbook for US$9.95. I bought it about 2 weeks ago and it's very good and normal. I bought one for my sister too.
    Now the wine et al. If you consider yourself a heavy drinker, it maybe easier to initially slow down your drinking rather than cutting it out all together at once. One of our group members mentioned how she had picked out one day that she doesn't drink and gradually add more days to it.
    My own experience is that I have had a stage in my losing weight history, that I looked at an alcoholic drink and the dislike of the amount of cals in that glass stopped me from drinking it. Sadly enough this stage in my life did not last very long. But, every day is a new chance to cut back on alcohol.
    Good luck, stay in touch.
    Lianna
  • ajfarrell
    Options
    I recently started tracking my MFP and holy cow, wine adds up! I too love wine with dinner but I must not drink (so much) wine if I want to reach my goal. I am sure these extra 15 lbs I am carrying (and have been trying forever to lose) are the result of my love of a good cabernet.
  • liannap
    Options
    ajfarrell, welcome to our group. It is going to be a fun and interesting time with all of us!
    Cheers.
    Lianna
  • liannap
    Options
    So I am on holiday. On holiday calories don't count; oops, that is not true.
    Last seven days I really relaxed with my drinking. Not today though.
    Day #1 (on holiday) - no daytime drinking; pub meal with 1 glass of white (pub size ????) and two glasses of water with slice of lemon.
    8 out of 10 I'd say ????
    Good night all.
    Lianna
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! Thanks for starting this group, Liannap... So, this is day three of no cocktails at night. I'm not struggling with it at all - I didn't think I would, but still, it was part of the nightly habit, the nightly ritual, so I wondered how much I'd miss it.

In fact, I work all day, commute home in 30-45 minutes of dense traffic, get changed right away into workout clothes, exercise for 45 minutes, shower, cook a meal from scratch for my husband and I, clean up the kitchen, we play keep away with the pup for a half hour, watch a little TV and it's time for bed for me.

So, really...the only difference between life before this week and now is that I'm not falling asleep on the couch because I'm relaxed. Instead, it is taking me a little longer to go to sleep. I find, though, that I'm sleeping right through.

I've got a conference for work beginning Sunday, and typically, that involves some light social drinking. I'm working on a strategy, but I'm inclined to just see if I feel like it and then go from there...
  • liannap
    Options
    Hello futuresize8, Thanks for joining!
    Of course it is not easy to reduce/cut back/cut alcohol in take. However, on the other hand, it is also an interesting self-test and surprisingly, on a day to day basis it may not be as hard as anticipated. The hard part is going out and socializing. We'll get there, bit by bit. Like you, the quality of my sleep once in bed, improves.
    First thought at waking? YES, I did not drink yesterday. All good.
    Stay well.
    Cheers
    Lianna
  • Debibrau
    Debibrau Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great idea for a group - just the one for me. I don't have much weight to lose but know that I sabotage all my efforts with my daily wine habit.:drinker: It's a difficult one to kick so I am looking forward to picking up tips from others on the group and supporting each other as we come to grips with this and reach our goals :happy:
  • GlenG1969
    GlenG1969 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Must admit the booze is my Achilles heel. I try to maintain a reasonable level of fitness, train like lunatic almost every day. Lift weights, do interval training, cycling, heavy bag workouts, practice the 5:2 intermittent fasting diet, then unwind with a couple of tinnies in the evening ha, ha.

Weekends are even worse, a couple or three bottles of red wine with the Mrs on Friday and more tinnies on Saturday.

Burnt over a 1000 calories training yesterday, training leads to the mistaken belief that we have earnt that tin of beer. I recorded the four cans of Carlsberg I had last night. Workouts around 564 Calories, do that four five nights a week and you’re fast approaching 3500 cals or 1lb of body fat.

Sobering thought