Hypothyroidism and New to Armour

Options
KLeigh4
KLeigh4 Posts: 6 Member
Hello Friends -
I have suffered with hypothyroidism for over 10 years now. I have gone through a family practitioner as well as endocrinologist, neither of which could ever get my hypothyroidism regulated. I was recently on 225 mcg of synthroid. I have been working out with a personal trainer and doing group cardio/strength classes 5-6 days a week, logging consistently in MFP and watching calories, and getting nowhere. I decided to do the 24 Day Advocare Challenge (I'm on day 9) and my coach suffers from thyroid issues as well. She told me to speak to my endocrinologist about Armour as synthroid wasn't giving my body what it needs. He REFUSED to speak to me about it. I went to my new family doctor, who switched me over immediately. She started me on 2 grains, even though it is a bit less than my synthroid dosage, just for a month to see how my body adjusts. Week 1 - completely lethargic and cranky. Could be coupled with the fact that I am doing a cleanse for my first 10 days of Advocare, but it is awful how tired I am.

Question - how long did it take your bodies to "level out" on Armour after being switched from Synthroid? Or how long until you saw positive changes?

Thanks!

Replies

• kcvance
    kcvance Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I had a TERRIBLE initial experience on Armour, because of low vitamin levels and a dose that was WAY TOO LOW (the conversion chart is off, I think).

This was super helpful information for me: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/ndt-doesnt-work-for-me/

My doctor is continually having to tinker with my dose, but I have Hashimoto's and have been seeing varying antibody levels and flare-ups of my immune system. I now take 120 MG of Armour in the morning with a 5 mcg cytomel (T3) supplement in the afternoon and feel absolutely wonderful.

My doctor regulates on my symptoms (first and foremost) in conjunction with Free T3, Free T4, Reverse T3, and antibodies. My TSH is suppressed/non-detectable because it is a pituitary gland hormone, not a thyroid hormone, and tells you nothing about thyroid function.

Good luck to you - send me a friend request if I can help in any way.
  • KLeigh4
    KLeigh4 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Unfortunately, I think I just have to weather this storm for 2 more weeks until my doctor runs my labs again to see what needs to be adjusted. I was just hoping it wouldn't take me down so much in the process. =(
  • bmskid
    bmskid Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    kcvance, can I just have your doctor, please? haha. I've had the worst experiences. I'm DETERMINED to get on armour. Listen to this crap. I asked my endocrinologist if he would test my Free T3 (I think maybe I have a conversion issue?) and he REFUSED. He said, "it doesn't tell us anything". I didn't even know what to say back. How do you argue with someone who is supposed to be an expert, when all you have is google? I KNOW I need the Free T3 test. I have an appointment on Wednesday and plan to just beg. I'm not above grovelling. I also made an appointment for Thursday for my regular family doctor to beg her, too, in case the endo says no. I've been having hypo issues for almost a year despite having "normal" TSH and "normal" Free T4.
  • kcvance
    kcvance Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I wish I could share her (or the office, rather) with everyone. I have been to 7 different endocrinologists in the Phoenix area and they've all been WORTHLESS TSH-worshipping idiots.

Have you searched through the Dr. list on Mary Shomon's site? It's how I found my doctor (and she takes my insurance!!!). http://www.thyroid-info.com/topdrs/index.htm
  • bmskid
    bmskid Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    yeah, I did check that just yesterday. I live in a small area, though. I also am at a disadvantage because my husband is in the Air Force and our insurance is Tricare. We have to have approval for every little thing, so a lot of doctors don't take Tricare. I have decided, though, that if my doctor won't test my Free T3, I'm going to pay for the lab tests advertised from that website with mymedlab and then just take it into my doctor and then he'll have no choice.

I've never even HEARD of cytomel until I was reading on these posts. Do doctors put patients on that if their T3 is low but the rest are normal?
  • walk757
    walk757 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends -
    I have suffered with hypothyroidism for over 10 years now. I have gone through a family practitioner as well as endocrinologist, neither of which could ever get my hypothyroidism regulated. I was recently on 225 mcg of synthroid. I have been working out with a personal trainer and doing group cardio/strength classes 5-6 days a week, logging consistently in MFP and watching calories, and getting nowhere. I decided to do the 24 Day Advocare Challenge (I'm on day 9) and my coach suffers from thyroid issues as well. She told me to speak to my endocrinologist about Armour as synthroid wasn't giving my body what it needs. He REFUSED to speak to me about it. I went to my new family doctor, who switched me over immediately. She started me on 2 grains, even though it is a bit less than my synthroid dosage, just for a month to see how my body adjusts. Week 1 - completely lethargic and cranky. Could be coupled with the fact that I am doing a cleanse for my first 10 days of Advocare, but it is awful how tired I am.

Question - how long did it take your bodies to "level out" on Armour after being switched from Synthroid? Or how long until you saw positive changes?

Thanks!

IMO it will take another 6 weeks to truly see improvement when changing meds. You will most likely need adjustments along the way. I feel so much better on Armour. The synthetics were terrible for me. Others have no problem. Just know it is so hard to find a doctor to prescribe Armour. Give it time.....you can always go back to synthetic because that is the drug of choice for most doctors. Good luck!