lunch ideas for bandsters?

Options
dolphintattoo
dolphintattoo Posts: 33 Member
I need some new lunch options, chicken breast, greek yogurt chicken salad and yogurt egg salad are getting old. I don't eat bread if I can help it (it doesn't pass the band) and wraps/tortilla's seem like wasted calories. Lettuce is hard for me as well, seems to be hard to chew enough to avoid sticking so I don't do a lot of salads. My doc advises against smoothies for meals and I agree, they don't keep me in the green zone long enough.

Just looking for fresh ideas, I do have access to a microwave, hot water etc..

Replies

• aimeef12
    aimeef12 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    cold cut roll ups ex ham and cheese rolled together , chilli (hormel turkeu chilli is awesome and 98% fat free low cal and high protein) i sometimes make my own little salad concotions like diced tomatoes avocados chickenbreast with a drop of balsamic binegar or green olives roasted red peppers hearts of palm low fat mozzarella
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I dont have a band I have a sleeve, but i have the same issues with bread and lettuce. Try raw veggies - I found that baby carrots, radishes, green peppers, tomato, cucumber, etc. all go down fine for me so I either make a salad with that (my fave is tomato, cucumber and some onions with a little tuna salad or cottage cheese for "dressing") or just cut up veggies and take a dip (hummus, guacamole, salas, etc) and protein (a hard boiled egg/ cheese stick/ sliced turkey meat or chicken. etc) - sometimes that veggies and protein can be stretched into two meals for me.

Another option is soup - I went through a soup phase and made two different soups each week and I keep instant soups at my desk at work (I know they are packed with sodium but in a pinch some of them are fine options).

My eating is really bland lol thats about all I eat during the week.
  • dolphintattoo
    dolphintattoo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas, I used to do ham & cheese roll ups but after my last fill I can't seem to get them to go down without unrolling and causing a stick.

Does soup keep you full? I understand chili will because it's pretty solid.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    You might want to check this site out. I had the RNY, so I can necessarily give you ideas as I'm not sure if you have specific foods that you need to stay away from.

http://lapbandgalsjourney.blogspot.com/2012/04/top-ten-list-of-food-idea-recipe.html
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I have the band. I cannot eat bread in the morning or lunch, maybe sometimes at dinner but it's a gamble, I pretty much just stay away from it altogether. Raw veggies are iffy. Finding the right food choices is kind of hard with the band.

All winter I have made some kind of soup on Sunday, divided it up into 1 cup containers and froze it.
    Today I had a recipe that someone on MFP shared with me called Chicken Taco Chili

1 onion, chopped
    1 16-oz can black beans
    1 16-oz can kidney beans
    1 8-oz can tomato sauce
    10 oz package frozen corn kernels
    2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
    1 packet taco seasoning
    1 tbsp cumin
    1 tbsp chili powder

24 oz (3-4) boneless skinless chicken breasts
    chili peppers, chopped (optional)

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    Directions:

Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Top with fresh cilantro. Also try it with low fat cheese and sour cream (extra points).

I have leftovers quite often if it's some kind of meat. I actually can eat lettuce (probably need a fill) so I have salad for lunch at least 1 or 2 times a week.

I'm pretty boring so I'm sorry I don't have a lot of suggestions as I tend to do what you are tired of, but I wanted to share this recipe.

Good luck.