Gluten and Dairy free?

Options
kgibbz
kgibbz Posts: 102 Member
Hi there, just had bloodwork done this morning, doctor thinks I have Hashimoto's. I've been reading that I may be heading towards a gluten and dairy free diet. Can anyone tell me how they transitioned and how they feel now? Did you quit both at once, cold turkey? Or wean off, or one at a time? This seems so daunting. Gluten is in EVERYTHING....and I love cheese. Looking forward to your replies =)

Replies

• soupandlettuce
    soupandlettuce Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am gluten free but still have dairy. I gave up milk though. I only did it because of nagging sinus and digestive issues unrelated to hashimotos (as far as I know), that seems worse with milk ingestion but limited cheese, yogurt etc seems ok.
    Going gluten free really is quite difficult and I did it to help with joint pain (another autoimmune disease - great!) and later I read that it helps with thyroid issues. I did relapse and eat a slice of pizza and cake on my birthday. But now I've been 6 months gluten free, it is a little easier. I love donuts, cake, bread etc and I don't know if it's helping my thyroid to be gluten free. I think I will start back on it just to see what happens. Btw my endocrinologist didn't suggest any dietary changes.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Per my endocrinologist, I didn't change my diet one bit when I was diagnosed with Hashi's.
  • maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options
    I am gluten free. It definitely helped with the constant bloating and other digestive issues. If that's something you experience, no harm in trying gluten free for a few weeks to see if it helps. I don't know whether it's made any difference for my thyroid directly, but I feel a lot better not eating gluten.

If it doesn't make a noticable difference, I see no reason to avoid any particular food.

I would recommend approaching elimination diets in a systematic way- one thing at a time- so that you can be sure which foods (if any) cause a reaction.
  • kgibbz
    kgibbz Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I am not sure if this is something that will help me or not. I go back in a few days to discuss blood work
  • charlielu1919
    charlielu1919 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You might want to read the book It Starts with Food and try doing a whole 30 (basically limits you to meat, veggies, some fruit and fats). I am on day 12 and feel great for the first time in years. I have a lot more energy and have noticed many of the side effects I thought were related to my hypothyroidism are now gone (guess they were more food related?). The nice thing about this program is that they have you reintroduce gluten, dairy, sugar, etc one at a time so you can identify foods you may have issues with. I thought it would be really hard to give up gluten, dairy and sugar but once I got to day 5 I stopped craving things with them. There are also lots of books, Facebook pages, blogs, etc on the paleo diet where I have found alternative recipes for gluten and dairy free recipes.
  • smhcampbell23
    Options
    Hi there, just had bloodwork done this morning, doctor thinks I have Hashimoto's. I've been reading that I may be heading towards a gluten and dairy free diet. Can anyone tell me how they transitioned and how they feel now? Did you quit both at once, cold turkey? Or wean off, or one at a time? This seems so daunting. Gluten is in EVERYTHING....and I love cheese. Looking forward to your replies =)

I have only recently switched to gluten free after working really hard and doing everything right and instead of getting better, I felt worse, my digestion changed, I started getting IBS symptoms... I felt terrible. I did a lot of research and have only be GF for 7 days and I can feel the difference already and my weight has dropped 3lbs in 7 days - it used to take a me a few months to get to that. I wouldn't agree that it's hard now. With the FDA mandating that foods be labeled if they contain the top 8 allergens including wheat it's gotten easier. Betty Crocker makes a great GF Flour that can be used cup for cup for all purpose. I use this to make homemade pizza crusts and it's awesome. I've also made some delicious cupcakes with it and they were great too. I generally keep my life and food simple, proteins, fruits, veggies, nuts, greek yogurt (dips made of greek yogurt). You can go into the the grocery even walmart and find endless GF options now. I love Sesmarks rice crackers that are GF with turkey, cheese, and some oikos dip for lunch.

Just as everyones body is different when it's healthy, everyone experiences thyroid issues differently. If something doesn't work for you that works for someone else, move on and try something new. Educate yourself, don't freak out, we can live mostly normal lives when we find our balance with our thyroid. I've been through the ringer with it and finally after 3 years and figuring out what's right for me and my thyroid. :)

Good luck and don't freak out! It will be okay.