RAGE!!!

Options
jakejacobsen
jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
While at first I thought ok, I am having a bad day ect... or every one around me is acting stupider then normal... but wait I am the only one who is seemingly affected if I am honest with myself.

I am full of rage, and hyper focused right now and I think if I spent an hour I could come up with a balanced budget for congress (ok that's and exaggeration) but I see things so clearly, everything is black and white I will pretend there is gray but it will irritate me. Examples: But if someone says Hi, I want to punch them in the face. ( I won't but I feel like it). Reading MFP food diary's (of strangers who I don't know or really care about) thinking Your a moron, you are asking why you can't lose weight, you exceed your calories 50% of the time, you don't log your butter, coffee creamer, sugar (don't get me started there).

This has been going on the past few days, so much so that I barely slept one night (I just laid in bed for 8 hours I know I got less then 2 hours of sleep) Next day I figured I would be exhausted, nope tried to nap and couldn't said up past my "normal" bed time and then all at once was over whelmed with yawns and instantly tired.

So I figured at least tonight I will get a great night sleep I slept for about 4 hours (8 is my normal I log it). I wanted to get up and get my day started, but resisted and laid in bed for 2 full hours trying to sleep with no luck I got up and started my day. I feel invincible and cranky. (some may describe me in less pleasant way).

I did a small amount of research and found others have experienced this, when they cheat or when they first switched ect. I don't know seems odd that eating a bowl of popcorn which I had last night could have me feeling this way, or not eating it. I am not craving sugar or carbs or anything. I am stuffed not hungry. The only real craving I have is for Alcohol (not a heavy drinker) but I just want to shut my mind off for a few hours and relax.

I don't think I have stopped thinking/processing information for a week. My evenings consist of resurrecting something for no reason other than curiosity. At fist I thought I was obsessing over nutrition, and learning about paleo so I just said NO MORE, and have limited my time to one topic or food as I thought it was becoming an obsession. I don't think I was obsessing over paleo or nutrition so much as just obsessing over anything.

I figured my Blood Pressure must be through the roof, nope perfect (the same as normal for me) 120/82 and my resting heart rate is 70 (it was 80-90 pre clean eating)

Have you had a similar experience? How long will it last, and can you cycle out of quickly by eating ______?
Have I lost my mind, will it ever come back?
Is the cure a Big Mac and Large Fry with Diet Coke? <- I am not eating it is but I will have peanut butter toast :) If the thought of eating the Big Mac made you ill too I am sorry.

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    My husband had a similar episode a few months back, pretty much the exact same symptoms (though I don't know if or how well he slept), as did my son (though to a lesser degree). Here's the thread on it - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1162202-anyone-familiar-with-food-allergies-causing-anger . We could only guess at what caused it, but the only thing we could figure was a particular additive to a meal we had out, since they ate the same thing, and I had something different and wasn't affected.

Assuming your log is accurate for brand as well as food item, I'd check the ingredients of the bacon and the Aldi salsa you've been eating. Those are the only things in your log the past couple of days that I see that are pre-packaged, but anything else you may have had should be looked at, too. If you've been eating the same bacon, is this a new package?

We suspect that my husband's reaction was to the pizza he ate (he still eats grains sometimes), and we suspect it was the herb combination in the sauce (and potentially a reaction of them to the acids in the tomato), so it might be worth making note of the herbs/spices if they're listed. There's also some reports that certain additives, such as MSG, have rage as a reaction, so see if that's in any of the stuff you've been eating (watch out for its synonyms, too).

For us, it lasted about 2-3 days after exposure, so if you can find the trigger quickly, it should be over within another day or two (provided you weren't exposed again).
  • jakejacobsen
    Options
    Thank you, and I am happy you didn't say EX husband, I know I am pushing buttons and not intentionally but still doing so. I will note the ingredients and yes the log is accurate. I am guessing it would be in the bacon as I had the salsa many many times over the years with no problems of coarse I had some bacon for lunch. I wish I could go organic but I would only be able to purchase food and eat every fourth day as it is 4 times as expensive around where I live. I do think its worth it, I just don't have it to spend.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Thank you, and I am happy you didn't say EX husband, I know I am pushing buttons and not intentionally but still doing so. I will note the ingredients and yes the log is accurate. I am guessing it would be in the bacon as I had the salsa many many times over the years with no problems of coarse I had some bacon for lunch. I wish I could go organic but I would only be able to purchase food and eat every fourth day as it is 4 times as expensive around where I live. I do think its worth it, I just don't have it to spend.

Haha, it'd take more than him being a brat to break us up. Some flowers and/or a "thanks for putting up with my crap" card don't hurt, either. :laugh:

Keep in mind with the salsa that companies change their recipe. It could also be an odd batch, so if it's a new jar, it might still be a culprit.

As for a new bacon - befriend farmers and butchers in your area. Pork belly/bacon from a butcher is awesome, and usually cheaper than comparable stuff in the store. (Check out eatwild for local farms - http://www.eatwild.com/products/wisconsin.html .) I wouldn't worry about that puzzle right now, though. Find what's hurting you, first!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Hey buddy.

This reminds me of the stunt I pulled eating a sweet potato with grass-fed butter and cinnamon daily when I first went Paleo. I didn't realize it was loaded with testosterone and making me RAGE and hot flashes and HORNEY! Well that was cool for a few days, but I'm already the right balance of those things and this was getting cray cray!

I reviewed your food journal over about the last 3-4 weeks. You eat more cabbage than just about anyone I've ever seen. My recommendation is that I think that cabbage has hormones in it.

I would recommend cutting it down to a side dish once or twice a week.

I know that sucks when you're in a routine with a certain food.

Good luck! I sent you a friend request.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Hey buddy.

This reminds me of the stunt I pulled eating a sweet potato with grass-fed butter and cinnamon daily when I first went Paleo. I didn't realize it was loaded with testosterone and making me RAGE and hot flashes and HORNEY! Well that was cool for a few days, but I'm already the right balance of those things and this was getting cray cray!

I reviewed your food journal over about the last 3-4 weeks. You eat more cabbage than just about anyone I've ever seen. My recommendation is that I think that cabbage has hormones in it.

I would recommend cutting it down to a side dish once or twice a week.

I know that sucks when you're in a routine with a certain food.

Good luck! I sent you a friend request.

I think this is the winning answer.

Testosterone = rage, and cabbage raises testosterone levels....

http://www.ehow.com/list_7473604_vegetables-produce-testosterone-men.html
  • jakejacobsen
    Options
    Makes logical sense to me.

I am kind of curious what my T-levels are now. My T-levels have been low for most of my adult life, my Dr was talking about some implants, but when I researched the side affects they were similar to what I am feeling so I passed I am not a fan of being on edge. The fact that the T- implants also caused male breast growth was an obvious deterrent as well.

I guess I will cut back (or cut out?) on the cabbage and get my wife a sorry for the crap card and serve it up with sweet potato's and butter and cinnamon for breakfast. As well as journal my feelings, no matter how uncomfortable having a diary makes me.

Thank you all!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Oh lord!

The sweet potatoes are loaded with testosterone also!

I didn't figure out what was going on for a very long time.

But my work-outs, weight loss, muscle gains, and even sex at that time were AMAZING!

But it had to stop.

I was chilling with my sister like "I am uncontrollably horny and want to f*** anything that walks, it's hot in here, I'm gonna kill someone!" It was not appropriate, especially in the work place.

Fortunately she had a herbal medicine book that listed Sweet Potato as a remedy for men's issues.

Bwhahahaha #PaleoProblems
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    To add to the above....

Wondering if you are eating too much goitrogenic foods: cabbage, kale, brussel sprouts, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. They compete with iodine absorption, causing thyroid disruption/hormone imbalances. (Especially if you are eating most of these raw.
  • jakejacobsen
    Options
    Too add to the above....

Wondering if you are eating too much goitrogenic foods: cabbage, kale, brussel sprouts, spinach, broccoli, etc. They compete with iodine absorption, causing thyroid disruption/hormone imbalances. (Especially if you are eating most of these raw.)

I was noticing this as well as i was reading. These block estrogen, which men also need a small amount. I have so much to learn, so many foods. I guess when I ate foods with out nutrients I wasn't ever in eating to many of them. It also seems as if this could also be my body freaking out as it isn't used to this type of food. I guess my new rule while I learn is to not eat any thing 3 times a day.

Eggs also are listed as food that increases T, which I eat about a dozen in a half a week.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Well before I went primal I had general rage and after it hasn't seemingly decreased or raised. Now if only something can be done about stupidity I think I could be cured. :laugh:
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I guess my new rule while I learn is to not eat any thing 3 times a day.
    Eating the widest variety of foods you can have access to is always the healthiest path. Good luck on your journey!
  • EverythingNicki
    Options
    Thank you so much for your open honesty and questions....I learned alot about some things I need to research since reading this thread...as I am a Momma of 2 boys so I am the only female in the house and have noticed a bit of a power switch if that is even the correct terminology, in my house since switching from GF to full Paleo....and thought it was just me being overly sensitive but I have seen some defiance and extreme attitude and dis respect in my young males at home....our diet is heavy in all these T heavy foods...time to research some more...maybe time to go to consider my own paleo template...Thanks for all the info!
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Please get some help now. Consider therapy! Meditation! Something...
    Seriously my friend, you could do someone serious harm.

Good luck!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    I disagree with Shoney.
  • jakejacobsen
    Options

Good luck!

If one is aware of how they feel, how could it cause serious harm? Do feelings cause harm?

1st I am a non violent person. Just because one feels like punching some one doesn't mean the will. Just as some one feels like eating a Oreo doesn't mean the will. Perhaps I have more self control then others. I am 38 years old, and never thrown a punch, I have been hospitalized due to being assaulted, but chose not to fight back.

What would therapy / meditation do for a food reaction, would you suggest someone who has a reaction to nuts seek therapy and meditation or DON'T EAT THEM?

The reality is some people get the squirts from dairy, nuts can stop people from breathing, and sea food can also cause people issues. Why is it so hard for some to understand that when you digest some items it can alter your physical/mental condition? Ever here of psychedelic mushrooms? Green leafy vegetation people smoke? What is moonshine made of?

Odd isn't it?
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

Good luck!

You could not have read through the initial post or the responses. You read and commented on the title only.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

Good luck!

If one is aware of how they feel, how could it cause serious harm? Do feelings cause harm?

1st I am a non violent person. Just because one feels like punching some one doesn't mean the will. Just as some one feels like eating a Oreo doesn't mean the will. Perhaps I have more self control then others. I am 38 years old, and never thrown a punch, I have been hospitalized due to being assaulted, but chose not to fight back.

What would therapy / meditation do for a food reaction, would you suggest someone who has a reaction to nuts seek therapy and meditation or DON'T EAT THEM?

The reality is some people get the squirts from dairy, nuts can stop people from breathing, and sea food can also cause people issues. Why is it so hard for some to understand that when you digest some items it can alter your physical/mental condition? Ever here of psychedelic mushrooms? Green leafy vegetation people smoke? What is moonshine made of?

Odd isn't it?

I actually went back to my thread to see if it was the same person, since I got the same response from someone.

It's mind-boggling how the very same people who acknowledge that food affects depression, attention, mental clarity, kid's behavioral issues, etc. could so easily dismiss an anger/rage reaction.
  • jakejacobsen
    Options
    I profile stalked for fun peeked at other posts, too of Shoneysien. I like to see if what people say and look for consistency. It helps to see if people are truly trying to help, trolling, ignorant or have a habit of posting with out reading more then a few words. It helps me to understand where they are coming from as well as if they practice what they preach as far as eating goes.

Anyway enough with her you can look and draw your own conclusions, I give people the benefit of the doubt so I will say didn't read, or ignorant (blind to food sensitivity issues). People died and suffered from many mysterious diseases before they were discovered named and accepted.

An up date on me I have started journal no I can record my feelings (lol) and BM's and score them the food diary seemed an odd place I can even take pictures.

No cabbage for about 24 hours, a little on edge still but way calmer. I also slept 7 hours I woke up 4 hours in all wound up but through some deep breathing (some may refer to it as meditation) I calmed myself and went back to sleep in an hour. Woke up fresh and ready for the day.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hey Jake,
    I a m for real and try to post my honest thoughts here. I'm glad if you find that it is food causing you problems and get rid of that food.
    Good luck!
  • Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    This is kind of after the original post but theanine and magnesium supplementation have helped me when I get in that arrrrrrgh mode. They have a calming effect and low levels can interfere with mood.