Bar Method

Options
Anyone on myfitnesspal doing Bar Method workouts?

Replies

• ninanew
    ninanew Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've started going to a new place in SF called Cardio Barre - super tough workout, but I love it!
  • lilbrowngirl
    lilbrowngirl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi There! I just started The Bar Method at their Oakland studio. It's a very different type of workout for me but I'm liking it a lot. Just not sure how much it burns/my heart rate or how to log it on mfp.
  • SerenityDiva
    Options
    I'm not able to join a studio right now, but I have (as of today LOL as I was missing three) all their DVDs and love it. I also do P57 and stuff like that. My goal is flexibility, strength, and of course weight loss. I plan on joining Bar Method for a month and/or Pure Barre (there is also a Barre3 out here opening soon) in the spring to see if I prefer live classes, our budget would take a hit though and I'm not 100% sure this year would be the time.
  • rubydrm
    rubydrm Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I had been wanting to do Barre for a really long time. I finally got up enough nerve and signed up for a private session to see if it would be up my alley and if I could do it before I signed up. I just finished my first session in the class setting today and am super excited to continue on! I signed up next week for four classes (I hope I can hang in there!).
  • SerenityDiva
    Options
    Ruby I'm glad you liked it! We're renovating (long story) and I sprained my back Monday. Was finally able to do a workout today and did Barre3 (at home)...which is meh. I have tried three of her workouts and I just don't seem to love it like other brands, but hey at least it is something, right?
  • eudaimonia_sf
    eudaimonia_sf Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just joined your group -- introduced myself in the other topic, but maybe this is the right place. A Pure Barre studio opened up near my house, and I signed up for their "New Client Special", which is $100 for a month of unlimited classes. I have been going 5 times a week for the last month (both to amortize the cost, and to see how much change it would do if I really put some effort into it).

RE: home vs studio: I figured I would just download a bunch of their $5 Pure Barre podcasts once I learned all the exercises & my unlimited special ran out. However, after trying to do it at home, I realized I could never push myself nearly as hard as the instructors do in the studio.

They change the choreography every quarter so you don't get bored, and to keep the workout challenging. It is suddenly way harder! BRUTAL!

I can see doing the podcasts when I get too busy to go in, but for me, it does not compare to going to the studio. Plus I just love the environment -- the one I go to is very positive and supportive. My package runs out this week, and I've already signed up for a new one.
  • nnylacire13
    nnylacire13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to MFP and am just getting back to exercising again. I used to CF and trail run, but last summer needed to use heparin during a pregnancy and had to put the weights down because it makes you susceptible to stress fractures. I got into the Bar Method after that...then added Physique57. I haven't been consistent though because my doctor won't allow me to exercise during pregnancy, which had been frequent recently (a month ago I had a D&C for my fourth miscarriage in eight months). I ended up gaining 30 pounds between those pregnancies and losses. I'm now trying to take the weight off and get into better shape. I still can't lift heavy weights (until about June) so it's back to the barre! My plan is to rotate Bar Method, P57, The Dailey Method (just tried that yesterday and it's no joke!!), and Yogalosophy. I'm also walking and hope to be running again soon. I'm strictly doing DVDs, as we don't have any classes where I live.
  • eudaimonia_sf
    Options
    I'm sorry about your losses.

How do you like all the DVDs you've tried? Do you prefer any over the others?
  • nnylacire13
    nnylacire13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you.

I think Physique57 is my favorite. I like the Bar Method a lot, but the DVDs are soooo long. Most days they're too long to fit into my schedule. I'll do that today though since it's the weekend. The Dailey Method is new to me. I did it once this week and will probably do it again tomorrow. It's similar to Bar Method but is more core-focused. I liked it, but when my oldest daughter tried it she wasn't a fan. Yogalosophy isn't a barre DVD at all. It's from the lady who trained/trains Jennifer Anniston in yoga. It's a nice little workout. You can include sun salutes if you want some cardio, and she adds in toning intervals between the yoga poses. It's challenging, but not over the top. I like it because it's not easy like some yoga DVDs are, but gives you a nice, much needed stretch after a couple of days worth of barre.

Since you're split between in-studio and at-home: the other thing I like about Physique57 is that you can view their workouts online. You can purchase them ala carte, or subscribe. They add new ones fairly regularly. They also post a challenge on their blog and give you an exercise plan for the entire month. I tried the challenge twice, then they took it away around the new year. I think they're gearing up to start a new one though.

So far this week I've finished: Physique57 Classic - 2nd Edition; The Dailey Method; Yogalosophy; plus I've walked. Today will be the Bar Method and tomorrow the Dailey Method. I'm determined to hit my goal of five DVDs a week. :)

How's everyone else doing?
  • eudaimonia_sf
    Options
    Thanks! It's interesting for me to hear from people who've tried different methods.