What's your favorite inspirational running movie?

Options
pobalita
pobalita Posts: 741 Member
What are your favorite inspirational running movies and why? I'm making a list. I watched "Spirit of the Marathon" just before my first marathon last year and cried like a baby. I'd hit the wall on my last training run and lost all confidence that I could do it. While I was feeling wretched and recovering, my friend showed me this movie. It made me hopeful again.

Also, does anyone know where I can find Unbreakable about the Western States 100? I'd like to watch it, but all I can find are sites to purchase downloads ($30 or more, ouch) or illegally download (I don't).

Replies

• waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    There's always Chariots of Fire! I also love watching the training scenes/montages from all of the Rocky movies--- all on YouTube.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I don't know where else to get Unbreakable but at their web site. It is a good movie though and I got to see it at a screening with Geoff, Anton, and Hal.
  • HappyRunner34
    HappyRunner34 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Prefontaine...awesome flick!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'm not too up on running movies, but I am inspired by all the Friday the 13th movies and slasher flicks in general... just think - if any of those people had the aerobic base, trail running skill, and had trained in all conditions, they might have gotten away. Could Jason run an unfueled 20 miler? I think at best he's a 5K man.

Thoughts?
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Well, I suppose being chased by a dead homicidal maniac would inspire me to run. But as for inspirational movies about running, over coming obstacles and doing your best?

Across the Tracks - Ricky Schroeder and Brad Pitt, need i say more?

Ha! OK so it's a bit of cheese, but when I was a young person I very much wanted to run after seeing this movie, but wasn't allowed because of my asthma.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm not too up on running movies, but I am inspired by all the Friday the 13th movies and slasher flicks in general... just think - if any of those people had the aerobic base, trail running skill, and had trained in all conditions, they might have gotten away. Could Jason run an unfueled 20 miler? I think at best he's a 5K man.

Thoughts?

exactly. I don't think he would do well after a 5k distance. I think if you can get 4 or 5 miles in he would give up.
  • denfrank
    denfrank Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Run, Lola, Run
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I watched 'Run Fatboy Run' a couple weeks ago, that got me rather motivated, despite being a comedy lol
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Cool Runnings
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The Masai Warriors running across the desert in Out Of Africa.

They are effortless. They are steady. They are paced. They make the people afraid.

That's how I want to run.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Another vote for "Pre". Great movie. Also loved "Spirit of the Marathon".

As a side note, if you're into books at all. "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall is an incredible story. It made me want to run ultras after this! Also "Eat and Run" by Scott Jurek is a great read.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I recently watched "Running on the Sun" on youtube. It documents the Badwater 135 miler. Really helps to put one's own pain into perspective! Other than that, my girlfriends and I have a tradition of watching one of the Rocky movies the night before each long goal race. It's just stupid and silly enough to calm any pre-race jitters ;)
  • racheldeherrera
    racheldeherrera Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Recently watched Running The Edge at a local theatre. Scott Jaime spoke afterwards. Basically, it made me think, yeah, I'm never gonna do that!!! But inspirational all the same.
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Its not a running movie but it has lots of running - I love Rocky!

my eldest sons boxes and as I am always telling him Rocky ran. Favourite scenes - when he runs up the steps in the first one closely followed by him and apollo creed frolicking in the water :). Classic