New and wondering what to do with my stubborn stomach.

Options
I'm new to the group. I love running and doing cardio but I also make sure I do some strength exercises as well. I am trying to loose 10ish lbs (that is taking forever) but what I really want is to "slim up". I have a very stubborn stomach and I hate doing sit-ups and they just seem to make my stomach bigger anyway. What are some tips, tricks, advice out there on how to create a slim lean stomach? I want to keep running and most of my other muscles I'm fine with just wanting to work on my stomach especially just below the belly button (lower abs). Help!

Replies

• dettiot
    dettiot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you can't spot reduce to give yourself a flat stomach. Your cardio is okay (I would recommend doing some high-intensity intervals, to help burn the belly fat) but you'll also need to do some strength training, to strengthen your stomach muscles. Instead of situps, try doing planks, leg raises, bicycle crunches--anything that will really work your core. Try Googling bikini workouts to find things that will help with your stomach. Good luck!
  • Stenkler
    Stenkler Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My tummy is my trouble spot as well. I wish we could spot reduce :) I am finding that lifting weights and HIIT are making a difference. So is eating cleaner. Getting rid of the preservatives and sodium is reducing the bloat. Oh yeah, and cutting out alcohol. I was making great progress and then had a bottle of wine a couple weekends ago. Immediate bloat.
  • pammerz88
    pammerz88 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! Just when I think it's gone it comes back. I'm trying to convince myself to do T25 and see if that helps my problem areas.
  • hkhard
    hkhard Posts: 4
    Options
    Ok, so I am continuing running and adding some strengthening and ab exercises. But I am beginning to see that my stomach isn't getting any flatter. Does the flattening of the stomach happen over a LONG continued period of time?
  • fancyface1955
    fancyface1955 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I too am in the same boat as you. I often wondered too if the crunches were making my belly stick out more. It's true we can't spot reduce unfortunately. I'm doing Insanity now- just 3 weeks into it. It is very intense if you're not used to high- energy cardio. I also just started jogging a few months ago and did my first 5k last month. Just like you everything under my belly-button just isn't going away. That and the flab in my inner thighs. I've lost a lot of weight years ago, but I still have some flab that needs to be tightened. I thought some of it would have when I was training for my race. But now i'm hoping that Insanity and healthy eating choices will do it. Lost 8 pounds and a few inches so far. Just gonna stay positive and work at it. Good luck to you. :-)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    The most important thing when you are doing crunches or any type of ab exercise is to hold your tummy muscles in - otherwise you are training them to stick out. With anything you do you need to do it the way you want to look, ie like our moms always told us - stand or sit up straight, shoulders back, stomach in and hips tucked... Got to have that proper form.
  • hippechickie
    hippechickie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Could a Flabby stomach be due to lose skin? At least that is what I am telling myself
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have been told core exercises, also compound lifts like deadlifts, chin ups squats, overhead press, planks, because you need a strong core and balance, are good for abs. I also heard it can take a couple of years if you have a stubborn belly (mine is baby weight I carried for 20 years and now a bit of loose skin) I am only a year in I so I will let you know next year :-)
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Try pilates. Planks are amazing too.
  • hippechickie
    hippechickie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good idea..I am gonna do a plank right now..
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Switch the crunches for planks! As someone else mentioned, make sure you're pulling your abs in when you use them, not out.
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    15 months of crossfit and then added running in January. Been eating really clean and my stomach is the best it has ever been. However It is not where I want it to be... my plan is to keep doing what I am doing... Strength training and cardio!

I have been tracking my body fat % too. That way I can see that I am leaning. More leaning out means I am gonna see more results in those abs and other places hopefully.
  • Meergan
    Meergan Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have just finished the bootea cleanse! You eat normally and replace meat with lots of fish and drink two of their teas a day. (At £20 for two weeks it's quite reasonable) Although i did lose a few lbs i was so impressed at how much flatter my stomach looked after!

Not sure if it just worked for me and i did get very sick of the tea.. but worth a try

!http://www.bootea.com
  • powerpigeon
    powerpigeon Posts: 46
    Options
    If only we could spot reduce! You need to build the stomach muscles, and then get your body fat percentage down so they show through, basically.
    Don't just do crunches though; there are lots of ways to work your abs. Anything that works your core is working your abs. Reverse crunches and bicycle are good for the muscles in that lower belly bit.

The best way to bring down your body fat is with diet. If you're eating 'clean' (so the less processed the better) and going easy on soda, alcohol and that kind of thing, you'll find it easier.
    Have a look at some of the advice out there for people trying to bulk up muscle; they're aiming to get lean so the muscles shows best, and you could some ideas for what to eat. Good luck!