1 Year: a work in progress

Options
I was diagnosed with PCOS several years ago. I lived in years of denial and food binge heaven. I teetered on the edge of diabetes but always skated under the official diagnoses. Even after having gestational diabetes, and injecting myself with insulin all the time, I ignored my body's warnings. March 2013 my bubble of denial and ignorance came crashing down. Our health insurance carrier changed and they offered a $100 bonus to do an annual basic health screening. When my FASTING bg registered at a whopping 236 and with an A1C of 9.1, I knew I had to do something. I had been on metphormin and insulin before, and knew that I would not go on it again. My dr. prescribed another medication, but I decided to give it a go with NO MEDICATION. Diet and exercise became my new focus.

Here I am, just over a year later, and although I have a lot more to go, I am proud of the progress that I have made. I have lost 60 lbs, gone from a size 26 to a loose 16 and my A1C is now 5.2. The pictures below show some of my journey.

Top Left: New Year's 2013 - 296 lbs
Top Right: April 2013 - 285ish lbs
Bottom Left: November 2013 - 40 lbs gone - 256
Bottom Right: March 2014 - 60 lbs gone - 236

MyCollage_18.png.html

This the first time I have posted a pic, so I hope it works. :)

Replies

• FrogFaerie
    Options
    MyCollage_18.png
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You are doing great. On a similar journey myself. I am currently on Metformin, but hope to get off it sometime this year. I get my first 3 month "report card" (lab work) this week to see how I have done after my first three months.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    WTG! You are doing very well.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    A wonderful effort and improvement. Its always great to hear the success stories of others.

Well done! :drinker:
  • sfsoccermom2
    sfsoccermom2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Very much needed success story for me right now. Congrats. You have done a wonderful job chaning your life. I just began my journey and have a lot to learn. Truly an inspiration.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    What an inspiring story, and thanks for sharing how your hard work and determination have led to renewed health. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Luizam25
    Luizam25 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    congrats, wonderful, and keep up the good work dear pal. we all know how hard it is but it is....POSSIBLE...and this makes all the difference.