New to the group

Options
RckyMtnTJ
RckyMtnTJ Posts: 15 Member
Hi. I'm new to this group but not to MFP. I've been using it for a few years. My high weight last January was 324lbs. Last year I got down to about 237lbs by the end of July. I stopped logging my food last august after I hit my low of 237lbs. Then I started slacking on my food. Eating pretty ok for the most part. Just not great. While I had been doing 4 days of cardio a week I am now instead doing a mix of weights and cardio 3-4 times a week. I've crept up to +/- 250lbs. Part of that weight is muscle mass, but not all. My wife and I decided mid February to continue logging our food again. This time I'm subscribing to a few groups for motivation.

A little about myself otherwise. I'm a 42 year father of 2 boys. 5&7. They are my main motivation. After a short vacation I've crept up to 254lbs. My goal weight including addng muscle mass is 225-230lbs.

Anyone interested, feel free to add me.

Replies

• Jeffy67
    Jeffy67 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group ! You'll find a great bunch of guys here to help you with your journey and help to keep you on track !
  • kahill19
    Options
    Hey guys, iv used mfp for years on and off but over the last 2 months iv had my moment of clarity so to speak. Iv always done everything on my own but now im trying to change my life to become a role model for others in fitness and strength training. Iv never joined a group but its time to increase my circle of support. Add me so we can keep each other motivated.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. I'm a newb here but not to MFP. Started this time at 335, down to 315. So, what's up?
  • Jeffy67
    Jeffy67 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. I'm a newb here but not to MFP. Started this time at 335, down to 315. So, what's up?
    Welcome! There's a great bunch of guys here to keep you motivated. Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • RckyMtnTJ
    Options
    Seems like we have a circle of either people who are or were 300+lbs and dropping. Just trying to stay on track. I'm down to about 241-244lbs. Originally 324lbs.
    Feel free to add me.
  • RckyMtnTJ
    Options
    By the way your inspirations were similar to mine.

1. Want to live well for wife and children
    2. Want to buy clothes anywhere.
    3. Want to feel great about myself
  • rugged1529
    rugged1529 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    what's up? If you want you can add me for support.
  • jtrack3d
    jtrack3d Posts: 91
    Options
    Good morning guys. First time here... new to MFP.... new to smart phones.

Even though I'm a geek, I've been avoiding smartphones because I'm also cheap and hate data plans... I held onto the candybar phone as long as I could.

App in hand, I would like to lose 30 lbs in preparation for my daughters' wedding. I have never really successfully dieted before. I have lost weight just by exercising, but I never have really watched the food side of things like this... I just can't seem to stay dedicated when I like to eat so many carbs and just really don't care to eat much meat.

I think I am in a good position. It should be 12 months away and 30 lbs in 12 months seems very doable.

I'd like to stick with just teaching my Zumba-like classes 3 days a week (hey a room full of ladies... what's not to like) and maybe toss in some other stuff when I can. I hate weight lifting... my mind goes numb, so I'm trying to just add push-ups and sit-ups to compliment all the leg work in dancing.

So far I am on like day 20, aiming for lb/week should get me to goal (155) by November which is 5 months early.

My teen son has turned vegan on me, so I try to eat vegan meals with him at least a couple days a week... but I am not giving up my eggs! ;)
  • autoee
    autoee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'd be part of the 300+ club, although I hope I've put that number behind me for good.
    I used another app before MFP for about a month, but I found MFP to be a better tool.
    I have similar reasons to many of youl, to increase my health for my family, gain self confidence about my appearance, and set a great example for my children.

Feel free to add me as well.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Good morning guys. First time here... new to MFP.... new to smart phones.

Even though I'm a geek, I've been avoiding smartphones because I'm also cheap and hate data plans... I held onto the candybar phone as long as I could.

App in hand, I would like to lose 30 lbs in preparation for my daughters' wedding. I have never really successfully dieted before. I have lost weight just by exercising, but I never have really watched the food side of things like this... I just can't seem to stay dedicated when I like to eat so many carbs and just really don't care to eat much meat.

I think I am in a good position. It should be 12 months away and 30 lbs in 12 months seems very doable.

I'd like to stick with just teaching my Zumba-like classes 3 days a week (hey a room full of ladies... what's not to like) and maybe toss in some other stuff when I can. I hate weight lifting... my mind goes numb, so I'm trying to just add push-ups and sit-ups to compliment all the leg work in dancing.

So far I am on like day 20, aiming for lb/week should get me to goal (155) by November which is 5 months early.

My teen son has turned vegan on me, so I try to eat vegan meals with him at least a couple days a week... but I am not giving up my eggs! ;)

I agree, 30 pounds in a year is very doable. I've been doing this MFP thing since August 1. The system works if you follow it. You have to count calories--specifically net calories. Log accurately and exercise to burn more calories (and eat more!!). I've found that being able to eat a bit more because I exercised makes the difference between starving and not starving. Getting in better shape is a nice fringe benefit. I'd also encourage you to add some weight training to the mix. It's really good for those of us with some grey. It will give you a sense of well-being you may not have felt before--highly recommended and it also helps with weight control long term (I watched a trainer on YouTube that said 10 pounds of muscle burns an additional 500 calories a day).