knee pain

Options
What precautions do you all take to avoid knee pain. I think doing 30 DS has made my knees weak and they ache. Has anyone doing30 DS experienced this?

Replies

• jeanniebeanie59
    jeanniebeanie59 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    What precautions do you all take to avoid knee pain. I think doing 30 DS has made my knees weak and they ache. Has anyone doing30 DS experienced this?

I also have been having knee pain so I stopped the juming jacks , not completely but doing a slighter jump, listening to what my body tells me, my husband said maybe my knees are improving and they are just sore but its a different pain. I dont want to not be able to excercize at all so just doing what I can ..getting 80-90 % of the tape is better than not doing it at all. The butt kicks ( not sure if thats the name) are a little bit easier on my knees, so doing more of them , to fill in for the jumping jacks.
  • liljen69
    liljen69 Posts: 45
    Options
    The jumping jacks only make me pee. :) The static lunges hurt my knees.
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Yes...the Shred is tough on my knees...but it seems to be getting a little better than it was in the beginning.
  • danabm
    danabm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had a weird pain on the side of my knee and then got to watching how I was doing the jumping jacks and noticed I was kind of pigeon toeing it. So I have made sure I don't turn my toes in and I just go slower on my jumping jacks to make sure I do them correctly.

I totally hate the squat and press. Sometimes I can't even use the weights.
  • MrsV1983
    MrsV1983 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've done the 30DS before (at least for 15 days...lol) and I never had knee issues. But this time, I'm feeling it in my knees! I tried doing it barefoot, with socks, with shoes...no matter, my knees (esp my left knee) hurt the next day. I mostly did Level 2 last time I did 30DS and I had no knee issues so thank goodness today is the last day of Level 1 (for me).

As far as precautions, I was actually checking out those knee support sleeves on Amazon...I may buy one so that I can avoid an injury or long-term issues.
  • hulamama808
    hulamama808 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I had ACL reconstruction 10 years ago and have learned the hard way that squats are not my friend. Static lunges and wall sits are the exercises that they had me do while in PT, so I stick with those. When I started last week I could barely lunge at all, but I can tell I'm getting stronger as time goes on because at this point I can do the lunges without discomfort. Still following Anita though!

My Mantra: Listen to your body... Watch your form... Build strength gradually...
  • TurboTam
    TurboTam Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    That's why I never made it passed day 3 in the past. It kills my knees. Same thing this time but on day 4 it started getting better. My knees crackle REALLY bad, I'm talking people can hear them. One of my trainers had to walk away when I did the leg sled because it grossed him out. But normally they don't hurt, just make a lot of noise. I pay special attention to my form when I'm lunging, in any direction. That's what seems to make them hurt.
  • powersgray
    Options
    During the first day my knees hurt doing jumping jacks, in a not-good, sharp pain sort of way, which persisted for a day or so. From then on I decided to modify the jumping jacks, so now I stay in place while jumping and move my arms. Much easier on my knees and still gets the heart rate up. I also pay really good attention when I'm lunging so my knee doesn't go out over my toe.

Am I the only one having a little bit of a hard time pointing my toes directly forward for various moves, by the way? Mine tend to naturally turn out, and I'm constantly having to force myself to bring them back in and straighten my foot.
  • powersgray
    Options
    Maybe I spoke too soon on my last post. I'm on Level 1, day 6, and for the last two days I've had knee pain, even after modifying some of the cardio moves. The pain is mainly when I land, so it hurts going down stairs and really really hurts even when I land out of a very slight jump. Any kind of slight twisting move on my legs also causes pain at the knee.

I just completed the workout, and I'm SO frustrated because I couldn't jump for jumping jacks, jump rope, or butt kicks. Sharp pain every time my foot lands. I'm debating on whether I should take a breather for a few days and see if they get better. I'm scared if I continue I could damage my knees, if I haven't already.

I really really hate to skip the cardio portions (even though I'm separately doing elliptical workouts every day), because I feel like a cheat. I'm wondering if the lunge-related moves aren't partially to blame, either. Darn it!
  • Apollo090
    Apollo090 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Maybe I spoke too soon on my last post. I'm on Level 1, day 6, and for the last two days I've had knee pain, even after modifying some of the cardio moves. The pain is mainly when I land, so it hurts going down stairs and really really hurts even when I land out of a very slight jump. Any kind of slight twisting move on my legs also causes pain at the knee.

I just completed the workout, and I'm SO frustrated because I couldn't jump for jumping jacks, jump rope, or butt kicks. Sharp pain every time my foot lands. I'm debating on whether I should take a breather for a few days and see if they get better. I'm scared if I continue I could damage my knees, if I haven't already.

I really really hate to skip the cardio portions (even though I'm separately doing elliptical workouts every day), because I feel like a cheat. I'm wondering if the lunge-related moves aren't partially to blame, either. Darn it!

Take a day or two. I've noticed that people who are injured cuz of the shred will either make it worse by not moving (esp with back pain) or come back way stronger, w/ more stamina. Don't worry about taking 2 days off, but if you can, try starting up from where you left off no later than day 3. I would also keep doing elliptical and reducing time if necessary.

I had severe knee pain and shin splint like pain. I always do elliptical and after 2 off days of shred I could up the weights again and cardio improved. ..
  • MrsV1983
    MrsV1983 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I mentioned this in another post but I purchased an inexpensive knee brace off Amazon and it's really made a huge difference for my knees! I've had no knee pain during or after the workouts since I started wearing it. I got the Ace knee brace but there are a lot of options out there for you ladies!
  • FitAndGoodLooking
    FitAndGoodLooking Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am going to give those knee braces a shot.