Weight lose with Hypothroidism ( low cal. intake)

Options
I have been eating at or under the 1200 calorie recommendations and have had a slow lose. I am wondering if I up my intake, will it affect my ability to still loose after being diagnosed with hypothyroidism.What is working for you? Please feel free to check out my diary.....any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You only have 17 lb. to lose. Set your goal to .5 lb. per week—which is way more than 1,200 calories. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Weigh your food.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

As for your diary: #1 weigh everything. #2 eat more protein. MFP's 20% goal is a minimum, and you're not even close.
  • bobbietaylor733
    Options
    Thanks editorgrrl, I`ve uped my daily intake to 1400 cal. and will track accurately by weighting everything..... I will see how it goes for the next 2 weeks.... :) Thanks again.....
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I do not lose on a 1200 calorie diet with my hypothyroid. Trying now to work with my Dr, going to see a dietician in May to try to work out a plan. Dr said I will be increasing fat, protein and eliminating processed food. Trying to find the right combination for my body!

Best of luck to you!
  • bobbietaylor733
    Options
    Thanks VastBreak,

I`m going back to the Dr. the end of May to retest my thyroid. I will be asking more questions pertaining to my diet, but in the mean time I am going to take everything I`ve learned in consideration here. I started yesterday to up my calories, try to lower my carbs. and work a little harder (start lifting weights) ..... I`ll let you know how it works for me in 2 weeks.

Thanks Again.... Good luck to you as well.
  • newme501
    newme501 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have had Hashimoto's since 1990, Always been able to maintain my weigh around 130, until this past September - December I gained 42 pounds, not good for 49 years old and 5'2"" tall. I'm currently on a 1200 calorie a day diet, no processed foods, no carbonated drinks( yes no diet soda). I just had my labs re-done to check all my levels including my T3 and Thyroid antibodies . Does any one in the group take Armour Thyroid? They recently changed me from Synthroid to Armour..... Any comments? TIA
  • Whimsywins
    Options
    :smile: hi I am new to your group. I had my Thyroidectomy late last year and gained 25 pounds in the month of December. Yikes. Since then, I have had the monthly lab tests and so far they just keep upping the dosage and tell me I am still Hypothyroid. Since my comanders in the Army gives me a year to get this under control I now have until next October to get back to shape. So far I have lost 16 lbs, in spite of my red lining thyroid levels but I no longer "eat" I "intake fuel", in precises measurements. I am trying not to freak out when I weigh 2 lbs more then when I went to bed. I excercise 6 days a week and have been keeping my calorie count at around 1350. I have to do whatever it takes so that I can protect my career, which provides for my family. I could definetly use some support/friends. I have another 25 pounds to go more or less. (Less if I could get me some of them Sarah Connor muscles!)
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I am trying not to freak out when I weigh 2 lbs more then when I went to bed.
    Your weight will fluctuate day to day & throughout the day. Don't panic! All that matters is a downward trend.

Weigh less often, take photos & measurements, and read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • VastBreak
    Options
    Yes, NewMe, I take armour. My Dr prefers it to synthroid. I don't have much to compare it too though because it was my first med and I only started it this past year. Something about it containing t3and t4 and my body needing both compared to the synthroid that only offers one.
  • VastBreak
    Options
    Wow Whimsywins what a challenge!! They say stress levels impact your thyroid greatly as well so I'm sure that is not helping your situation!
    I returned to lifting 3 weeks ago and I'm taking it slow. Seems these little injuries keep sidelining me! I get into a really good grove when I get exercise in regularly. It doesn't seem to help me lose weight but I have a better attitude in general. Then I get hurt and have to back off the exercise and wham I go up 5-7 pounds! Always seems to be a challenge! Starting this week I'm adding in walking at least 2-3 days a week and would love to get back to running.
    Baby steps one day at a time!
    I'll send a friend request :)
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Yes, NewMe, I take armour. My Dr prefers it to synthroid. I don't have much to compare it too though because it was my first med and I only started it this past year. Something about it containing t3and t4 and my body needing both compared to the synthroid that only offers one.
    Synthroid (levothyroxine sodium) is synthetic T4. Cytomel (liothyronine sodium) is synthetic T3. Armour (aka Naturethroid) is powdered pork (or mixed pork & beef) thyroid glands, which contain T4, T3, diiodothyronine (T2), monoiodothyronine (T1), and calcitonin.
  • soupandlettuce
    soupandlettuce Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Synthroid doesn't suit me so I take Armour thyroid. Once my dosage was stabilized I lost weight at the expected rate ie 1lb a week at 1400 cals a day which is a 500 cal deficit (I'm 5'1" and was then about 144lbs). Before medication I could not lose one pound a month on 900 calories diet. That's when I knew something was wrong with my thyroid.

Thyroid medication isn't a magic pill, you still have to watch your calorie intake. However, without the right dose, hypothyroid patients will balloon in weight and find it near impossible to lose except on a semi-starvation diet. I am getting nearer to my ideal weight after 10 yrs of being hypo, I was not diagnosed until 5 yrs ago and didn't restart meds until the symptoms returned (weight gain, fatigue etc)

I eat about 1600 a day now that I don't have much to lose (maybe 10 more lbs) and aim for 0.5-0.75 lb weight loss a week. Less food than that makes me feel very deprived.

I don't exercise much, that's my failing but it doesn't impact my weight loss. If I was more active I would be able to eat more.

Good luck to all fellow hypo's out there.
  • walk757
    walk757 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    First of all I love this board and MFP! After my 3rd doctor I finally found a keeper. She gave me choices: stay on Synthroid and add Cytomel or try Armour. I took the Armour and have not regretted it. That alone has not been my answer. I found I have to watch what I eat, calories and stay with the good for you food. After I told my doctor that I love walking she told me to definitely add the weight training. So far, so good. I have been able to drop a few pounds. slowly. Best of all, I feel good about myself. I have some ups and downs but knowing why and what I ate may have put me there. Best of luck to all my fellow thyroid warriors!
  • newme501
    newme501 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm understanding the difference between the Synthroid and the Armour... I feel so much better with the T3, not sure my dosage is correct yet. My labs should be back this week. I'm trying to get more active due to I travel for work and I can spend up to 5 hours in the car daily. I bought a Fitbit to help me keep up with my activity level. I really appreciate this group, its hard for anyone to relate to hypothyroidism without going through it. Thanks everyone and I wish all of you a great week of success!