6 pounds? OMG!

Options
meganmoore112
meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member
I got on the scale this morning and was up SIX WHOLE POUNDS!! I haven't seen 149 on the scale AT ALL since early February.

So yesterday, I did a HIIT workout on Fitnessblender. It was really difficult and I am VERY sore. Like almost to the point of unnaturally sore for the day after a workout, so I guess I overdid it. It's my quads that are the most sore.

This is just water weight from muscle strain, yes? It seems like a lot though! I've eaten fairly well the past few days staying at or under my calorie goal, so logically I know it's not fat. But it's still shocking to see my weight that much higher.

What do I do to help? I'm so sore that I think the only "workout" I'm going to do today is a long walk with the dog. I'm also going to drink a lot of water. Would using a muscle cream like bengay help?

ETA: I'm hoping that you lovely, nice people can help. I won't post this on the main forum because so many people are mean and I might get berated.

Replies

• bm1409
    bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I just googled about this yesterday, because it happened to my sister. heres a good explanation (copy & pasted) :

Many different factors, such as consumption of a big meal, excess salt intake, water retention, constipation and hormonal changes. One thing you should know is that the extra weight that you see on the scale does not come from an increase in body fat; it can be water, waste products or other substances that are temporarily present in your body.

How Much Can Your Weight Fluctuate?

Weight fluctuations can result in a temporary weight increase of up to 5 pounds a day. It takes some time for your digestive system to process the food, fluids and salt that you consume, and the substances that are still being processed will contribute to your weight. If you had a big dinner the previous evening, your weight will still be up in the morning if you have not had a bowel movement. This is especially so if you consumed foods that contain a lot of sodium. Even if you had eaten more than you should, your true body weight should not increase significantly overnight. True weight gain is a process that occurs over a longer period of time.
    Hope that makes you feel better.
  • kawookie
    kawookie Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    There is no way that anyone gains 5 pounds overnight. It has to be water retention and likely it is a double whammy -- like high sodium levels yesterday and water retention from a killer workout. Give your body a few days to adjust and keep an eye on your fluids (drink lots of water) and attempt to keep in your recommendations for sodium.

I am right there with you -- up a number of pounds this morning from eating out three times in the last 2 days :grumble:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measure everything you eat and drink?

When weight loss is stalled it is usually one of 2 reasons:

Overestimated burns
    Underestimated intake.
  • meganmoore112
    Options

Overestimated burns
    Underestimated intake.

I wouldn't say my weight loss is stalled. This is just one day. I weigh every day. I do weigh my food with a digital scale. Also I don't add exercise calories. I use a fitbit and eat calories added from that because I have my goals set to sedentary.
  • randomtai
    Options

Overestimated burns
    Underestimated intake.

I wouldn't say my weight loss is stalled. This is just one day. I weigh every day. I do weigh my food with a digital scale. Also I don't add exercise calories. I use a fitbit and eat calories added from that because I have my goals set to sedentary.

So what's the problem?
  • meganmoore112
    Options

Overestimated burns
    Underestimated intake.

So what's the problem?

None. Just looking for some confirmation that weight gain like this is normal and can happen due to muscle strain. I realize I could figure these things out myself using google, but sometimes it's nice to connect with people who may have experienced the same thing.

I guess I just wanted support. That's all. Just friendly support.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I just googled about this yesterday, because it happened to my sister. heres a good explanation (copy & pasted) :

Many different factors, such as consumption of a big meal, excess salt intake, water retention, constipation and hormonal changes. One thing you should know is that the extra weight that you see on the scale does not come from an increase in body fat; it can be water, waste products or other substances that are temporarily present in your body.

How Much Can Your Weight Fluctuate?

Weight fluctuations can result in a temporary weight increase of up to 5 pounds a day. It takes some time for your digestive system to process the food, fluids and salt that you consume, and the substances that are still being processed will contribute to your weight. If you had a big dinner the previous evening, your weight will still be up in the morning if you have not had a bowel movement. This is especially so if you consumed foods that contain a lot of sodium. Even if you had eaten more than you should, your true body weight should not increase significantly overnight. True weight gain is a process that occurs over a longer period of time.
    Hope that makes you feel better.

This.

I take solace in the fact that fat takes as long to go on as it does to come off.
  • randomtai
    Options

Overestimated burns
    Underestimated intake.

So what's the problem?

None. Just looking for some confirmation that weight gain like this is normal and can happen due to muscle strain. I realize I could figure these things out myself using google, but sometimes it's nice to connect with people who may have experienced the same thing.

I guess I just wanted support. That's all. Just friendly support.

I can totally relate, I have been up and down most of this ride. What helped me was to start using a measuring tape to measure inches, and I used a website which helps you see fluctuations over a longer time and look at the trend rather than the day to day changes.
    The website is called www.weightgrapher.com
  • terriejones
    terriejones Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Geo, the walking and drinking water sound like the best thing to do. You might want to massage the sore muscles too. A nice soak in some warm water will at least give you some short relief from the pain. As for the water weight gain, I think time is the best solution, I know some people take diuretics, but unless a Dr. told you to take them, I wouldn't. Congrats on doing such a fierce workout and hope you feel better soon!!!
  • racnsdd
    racnsdd Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Don't worry you are not alone! This week was spring break for my step daughter and that included opening day of baseball season (Go Mariners! Well here's hoping this year) road trips and also great weather for Seattle which meant my husband was grilling. I am up as well and embarrassed to post that seeing some great numbers but the point of this is for yourself.

I highly doubt it's all gained in that short amount of time it could be like someone else mentioned and be salt in take or your body just adjusting. Keep at it!