Success stories from people on only T4 meds?

Options
So I see loads of success stories from people with T3 as well as T4, or on Armour - but sadly in the UK they only give us T4. :sad:

I'd love to hear some success stories from people that have lost weight on T4 only! I'm really, really stuck at the moment and losing motivation!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I recently started T3, but I lost all my weight on T4. More slowly than most MFPers, though, so be patient!

I did it just like everybody else—by eating at a deficit. Per my endocrinologist, I didn't avoid or add any foods.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • kcvance
    kcvance Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I gained weight and my symptoms got worse on T4-only. T3 (cytomel) or Armour/Naturethroid was the only way for me to get my life back. So sorry they only prescribe T4 - what a load of crap. :-(
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    The UK T4's only policy are thanks to NICE, who decided in their exercise of perusing "excellence" that this is the only format which could possibly be relevant for low thyroid patients here in the UK. Though if a doctor can make a case for prescribing something different they can be permitted to. This is somewhere in the rules. Though they are not likely to treat to exclude the symptoms, bringing relief to the patient.

What is more when I had a prescription it contained maize starch as a binder. No problem, says you! A contributory factor in some peoples hypothyroidism is salicylate sensitivity usually associated with aspirin but this toxic substance is also in plant/ vegetative foods. Maize starch was the first of my health related culprits I was able to isolate. It is moderate on the toxicity scale by content but by the amount within one pill it was enough to undo all my health gains when taken every day.. I had been breathing more easily, would walk further, do more, even enjoy life. In order to keep this quality, of life I threw away the pills.

I had to prove I did the standard allergic reactions. Someone who is salicylate sensitive to this extent, does not do the standard allergic reactions. People like this are considered to be depressive hypochondriacs by doctors. Until you know what it is you loose the ability to LIVE, because the build up of toxin causing pain, stiffness, skin irritations, shallow breathing, tinnitus, and many more conditions so life holds no joy, this is how it was for me.

I have reduced radically the foods I eat. Think of all the recommended foods apples, oranges, broccoli one of the dreaded crusifers others are just fine, then there are more, tea coffee, even curry, anything containing tomato purée and the inevitable vanilla. Without treatment my reactions have widened and has now caused me to add chemical sensitivity to my repertoire of conditions and for this, I am combating my low thyroid with multi vitamin and multi mineral pills, omega 3 and additional cod and tuna on a daily basis. This does not leave much space to enjoy meals without thinking of myself as a chemistry experiment.

I am now under an immunologist, because I can fall asleep if I smell the wrong perfume, or is it washing power in the wrong concentration, all salicylate representations or close chemical mimics which my system can't tell apart. As for the mood swings they are something else. I never go to see a film, or attend a concert, even Christmas Carol Services are out. I can't support the grandchildren any longer.

Will I be fortunate and get the help I need, part of me thinks so, another fears not, because I live here in the UK and I have been left drifting for what feels like a life time already.

Edit to add battling my weight for a life time too..............................
  • lacaro1
    lacaro1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hey you, i am on T4-only medication and it works for me (tried T3 once and my TSH levels dropped too low)!
    Based on physiology, you should not have problems with this type of med because your body is trained to convert T4 into T3 and doctors simply do not want to take this task away from your body so that it does not get used to not having to do it.
    However, there are some people who still have problems with their T3 levels though taking high levels of medication, for them a T3/T4 combination can be indicated.
    Here in Austria they do not prescribe T3 meds either, but you can specefically ask for it. Maybe you could try that, doctors are indeed allowed to give you such a prescription!
  • steviecooke1985
    steviecooke1985 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the posts everyone! It's good to hear that some of you have done it on just T4. I'm hoping I'm just plateauing like everyone gets now and again. I'll let you know how I do on my weigh day on monday. I've been really strict with logging this week and have stopped eating back exercise calories (after looking at how unrealistic they are on myfitnesspal!) so fingers crossed this will sort it. :smile:
  • steviecooke1985
    steviecooke1985 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling of being treated like a hypochondriac! I've got another issue that's un-thyroid related and it took me ten years (TEN YEARS!) to be treated seriously! I only was certain I wasn't going mad when I finally demanded to see a consultant and they couldn't believe i hadn't been referred sooner. I love the NHS but sometimes I hate it too!

----oops, this was a reply for Fuzzipeg - I didn't manage to reply correctly!
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Same policy here in Germany - Armour is "not reliable", T3 drugs are just for "special" cases. My FT3 is always in the lower part of the "normal" range, but because it is theoretically within norm, no doc wants to help me.
  • pawstech09
    pawstech09 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been on Levothyroxine since December 2011, was pregnant in 2012, started MFP in January 2013 and am on the verge of losing 70lbs. It has taken me longer than it would someone else, and I get frustrated when I read success stories of people who can lose 100lbs in a year! I'm not sure if I'm a success story because I'm still only halfway to my goal (ultimately 110lbs) but I was able to lose 70lbs so that's a success!
  • Frigs
    Frigs Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I am only on T4 since I don't know when, def over 10 years Lost 75. It's really really hard. I have been able to loose at least 2 lbs per month but as I get closer to goal...let's just say it's gonna be another year I do believe.

Lost 75 lbs, really have to watch what I eat, also excercise 4 days a week minimum and don't eat back. I do have desk job in house..so I get little or no exercise during the day.

1450 calories. Pretty much whatever I want but I do stay away from soy and not a lot of wheat. But If I eliminate it and then go back to it I gain, so I keep a little in, in the hopes that maintenance will treat me well.

I have been the same weight for past 3 weeks. I don;t call that a plateau, just the weight loss pattern for a person with hypo.

I guess..a plateau for me would be 2 months with no change.

It is what it is You either want it or you don't. You have to decide how important it is to you and then wrap your mind around that fact. Once you levels are good. It is possible. Just gotta make sure your levels are good. They may not be able to prescribe T3 for you but isn't there a test for it? To see if that is the problem?

Good luck.