Hairloss

Options
I have heard that everyone experiences hair loss after sleeve surgery. When did it happen to you? How bad did it get? What did you do?

Replies

• Dusk71
    Dusk71 Posts: 2
    Options
    I started losing my hair in the past 2 weeks and I had my sleeve done in December. I started taking biotin and hoping that helps!
  • merobles827
    Options
    I haven't experienced if yet but most say between 3-9 months. I started taking biotin prior to surgery and I will be restarting once I'm off liquid diet. I also bought nioxin shampoo set. It's suppose to help with hair loss and regrowrh. Making sure your body has enough protein should also help in hair loss. Good luck!! I know it's not preventable but I'm trying to not aide the process along.
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I started losing at 3 months out. My hair got pretty thin but not bald patches, luckily. It stopped after about 8 weeks and has finally started to grow back.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I started losing at 3 months out. My hair got pretty thin but not bald patches, luckily. It stopped after about 8 weeks and has finally started to grow back.

This has been my experience. It take simply right biotin chewable cherry 5000 mcg, 2 a day, along with 4 vita fusion adult gummies, wt management fiber gummies daily, Replesta d3 50,000iu 2x a month, E Z Fe iron 2x a week. I am always tweaking my recipes to boost the protein levels. I will be honest, I never thought it would be quite so thin, everyone can tell. But I lost a lot of hair during my year of breastfeeding and it all came back. I am only 4 1/2 months out and I have lost over 75 lbs. I am still working my food lifestyle. Every week trying new bean and lentil recipes to replace the wheat, potato and rice that I don't eat anymore. If you are able to force down 400 calories of protien bar and shake to get at least 56 g of protein and still plow your way thru more meat AND keep it between 750- 850 calories, God bless you! You will probably have less hair loss. I focus on protein, but I rarely hit the 70g per day. I am more at the 48-60 range
  • teachren
    teachren Posts: 78
    Options
    My story is the same as most of the others posted. I take 5000 mcg of Biotin and have since the beginning. I use Organix Thick and Full Biotin and Collagen shampoo every day. I was totally a freak about keeping my protein over 70 but I couldn't avoid the large clumps in my hands every moring when I washed my hair or in my comb. :-(

I have thin and fine hair to begin with so I was really worried I'd end up in a wig. No wig I am happy to say. My hair started to break and fall out around month 3 last summer and I now 11 months out I have a lot of regrowth. In fact, I think my hair looks healthier than it has in years.

It was dicey for a while and I would suggest just keeping it a bit shorter and getting it trimmed frequently just to keep a style.

I don't think you can avoid it...some people just have more severe hairloss than others but I do think it's worth a try to keep your protein up and take some Biotin. It can't hurt, right?
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I started losing hair around 4 months out and it's maybe starting to slow down a bit now that I'm almost 6 months out. Not everyone loses hair, but it seems that most do. It grows back, so as far as I'm concerned it is totally worth it for better health.

Now that I've said that: Biotin WILL NOT PREVENT HAIR LOSS! Stop spreading misinformation people!! What it will do is POSSIBLY help make your hair healthier and strong when it grows back. If that is your desired result then by all means spend money on it once you start seeing hair loss, but taking it well before that is a waste of your money.
  • teachren
    teachren Posts: 78
    Options
    Losing_Sarah,

With all due respect, I don't think anyone on this thread suggested Biotin would STOP hairloss thus I don't think anyone is spreading misinformation.

Biotin helps with hair and nail strength. Many people take it that have not had WLS.

If someone is seriously concerned about hairloss they will have likely searched and found out that the hair you lose is mostly as a result of anestesia apparently and trauma from surgery.

I have been happy with my hair regrowth and honestly think it looks better than it did years before surgery. So if I think Biotin helped to strengthen my hair and my peeling nails that's good enough for me.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Wish I had cut my hair short immediately just to not have the extra wt on it and stressing it with brushing. Yes, biotin is for future growth, but of course we are currently malnourished yet growing hair and nails all the the time. I had written that I take biotin but the auto correct wrote "It takes Biotin..." in my list of daily vitamins. My nails have rebounded faster and nicely which gives me great solace for my future hair.
  • jkern9110
    jkern9110 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have been sleeved for 7 months. At about month 5, I noticed that my hair brush had more strands than normal. I immediately started taking Biotin and tried to pay even more attention to my protein intake. I increased my daily goal to 110g of protein instead of my normal 80g of protein. It seems to have helped keep the significant hair loss at bay. From what I've read so far, Biotin doesn't help you to necessarily regrow hair, but it will helpt to make your existing hair look healthier. Protein is how your body grows hair, so stick to your good health guidelines and you should be fine. The easiest change I made was to my morning protein shake. I swapped out protein powder to get more bank for my calorie-buck and use HEB mootopia instead of regular fat free milk (50% more protein).
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Started Biotin one month pre-op at the suggestion of my Nutritionist and Batiatric RN. Had ZERO hair loss and I am now 6 months out. Besides Biotin I have tried real hard to keep my protein high and to eat a varied diet with a daily multi vitamin. Can't say for sure that Biotin helped but it sure didn't hurt.
  • gloriabermudez
    Options
    I am only 7 weeks out and my hair is starting to fell off but is not so much. But it may be may fault because I forget to take my vitamins everyday and my protein is only 50-60g per day. Maybe I need to improve my protein intake to prevent more hair loss.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Mine started at about 3 months out. We were on vacation in Alaska (our Air Force son and his family were stationed there, we went to meet our grandson). I wasn't logging my food and stopped paying attention to how little I was eating. Not enough protein at all! Once I got home and my dotor explained, in my case, how severe lack of protein was the issue, I upped my protein and started using Biotin. It's still thinner than before surgery, but better than it was, I got a lot of it back. Also I've heard great things about a product called "Hair, Skin and Nails". So if the Biotin isn't working, try the other.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Its not really hairloss more like others said a thinning. Your hair grows WAY slower that in the past and falls out at quicker rate but not to create balding lol, more like thinness. I suppose if your hair is already very thin and course it would be a problem but for most I think its not too bad. Most suggest cutting it short to lessen the extra work of having to run around and clean up after it in the shower and bathroom.

I had bad hair thinning, some say its due to diet other told me it could be the bodies reaction to surgery as both my mom and friend who had surgery (not WLS) had hair loss for some months afterwards too. But I think the extent of it is due to the nutritional loss that we get during the first few months after surgery. Mine started at about 2 months, then at about 4 months got really bad. Then at about a year I realized it was over and my hair was growing back but at a much slower rate then usual. Six months ago (my one year mark) I cut my hair short and its grown but not as much as it used to.

I dont know about the biotin, since there is not scientifically proven link between hair regrow and biotin I opted not to add an addition pill into my already full with all the vitamins and supplements, but others swear by it.

The hair loss, skin sag, hiccups/ burps, gas, etc and other not so pleasant side effects are part of the deal with WLS, and in the end most if not all are temporary and correctable but the weight loss loss, can be permanent and worth all the unpleasantness thats how I look at it. :happy:
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm 10 weeks out today. During my shower yesterday I was shocked to see a long full clump of hair in the tub. After I got out I checked it in the mirror and saw no bald spot, which is what I was afraid of. I have always lost a little hair when shampooing (about the amount you see when you brush or less). I have always taken excellent care of my hair as it very naturally curly hair (tight and ringlet curly), using only the products (shampoo and cream rinse) that I have found work best. Other than that, I don't use any other type of product on my hair. I don't brush it as it just makes it one big frizz ball, but I do comb it well..

I made a note of it yesterday and if it happens to this degree again I'll contact my Dr. for suggestions. I'm currently taking 5,000 units of Vitamin D, 1,500 of Iron and a multi-vitamin daily. I have had no problem keeping my daily protein levels around 80+ per day. My hair is still soft, curly and shiny, but I'll keep an eye on it.

I'm glad to see that this a fairly normal side-effect of the surgery for a lot of individuals and there is a good chance of controlling the loss or knowing that it more than likely growing it back later on. My sister-in-law is a hair stylist and she'll have a look at it for me.

Karen
  • apelilag
    apelilag Posts: 30
    Options
    Thank you for sharing all of your experiences and advice with me. I have been taking Biotin since before surgery and trying really hard to reach my protein goal daily. Fingerscrossed it will be minimal.

April
  • JxAAA
    JxAAA Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Wish I had cut my hair short immediately just to not have the extra wt on it and stressing it with brushing. Yes, biotin is for future growth, but of course we are currently malnourished yet growing hair and nails all the the time. I had written that I take biotin but the auto correct wrote "It takes Biotin..." in my list of daily vitamins. My nails have rebounded faster and nicely which gives me great solace for my future hair.

I have long hair, I'm 5 weeks out and have been toying with the idea of getting a short cut. I was thinking about waiting till it started falling out and enjoy my long hair a couple more months. But I think you just convinced me to cut now so it's not weighing my hair down.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am six months out. My hair loss has been minimal, not even really noticeable to be honest . I do take all my vitamins and get all my protein, maybe that helps. My hairdresser also told me I shouldn't wash my hair every day, so maybe washing it every other day helps?
  • JxAAA
    JxAAA Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I try not to wash everyday but most days I can't help it, I need to after working out. A few years ago my hair was shedding a lot, I still shed in fact (just not as much as I used to) so I stopped brushing my hair. My hair isn't very thick so I just run my fingers through it to get out any tangles. Since I dont brush it I do notice I don't lose as much. I'm crossing my fingers my thinning doesnt get too bad in a couple months.