Mix-It-Up Weekend!

Options
tru2one
tru2one Posts: 298 Member
The boards are too slow today so I'm tossing in a new topic. :-)

It's sometimes hard to get creative or move too far away from established and easy meals/recipes during the week. What with work, family, and a myriad of other obligations, it can be hard to just grill a piece of meat and throw a veggie on the plate. But weekends offer a little more free time and I plan on spending some of that in the kitchen to try a couple new recipes. I'm pretty fond of things I can make in bulk and freeze because that makes weekday lunches and dinners so much easier. So here's what I'm going to tackle this weekend:

http://www.food.com/recipe/very-low-carb-pumpkin-muffin-in-a-minute-mim-462866
The nutrition facts on this site are messed up...by my calculations and w/ ingredients I'd be using I get Cal 359, carbs 15, Fat 27, Protein 15, Fiber 10....so 5 net carbs per muffin. Bulk freezer potential here.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/kalyns-stuffed-cabbage-casserole.html
Adapting this for low carb/keto...omit rice, use fattier ground beef. I would make this into 8 servings, nutrition facts Cal 346, Carbs 15, Fat 18, Protein 34, Fiber 5...10 net carbs. This will be portioned out and frozen.

http://www.ruled.me/low-carb-fried-mac-cheese/
Just the photo has me drooling. I'm not going to use his nutrition facts, I'll wait till I make a batch and see how many I get out of it. Not sure if these would freeze well, but what the heck...it's worth a try. They'd probably reheat in a toaster oven pretty well.

So what about you? Is there a new recipe you want to try? A type of fish you've had your eye on in the grocery store that you've been procrastinating buying ? A cut of beef you want to prepare a new way? A vegetable you've been afraid of but are ready to give a go? Let's experiment this weekend and come back Monday and report our findings...

Replies

• Skoster1
    Skoster1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thats funny, the low carb mac and cheese is also on my weekend list!

Though last weekend I intended to make mini cheesecake balls and never got around to it... Hopefully this weekend I'll be better since I already riced the cauliflower, though I need to go to the 100 yen store and see if they have big microwave safe bowls.

I have a really ambitious project for Avocado Butter Chicken I adapted a traditional Butter Chicken recipe for (lots of subbing out) because I just horribly misses good Indian curry, but I can't find all the spices in the commissary and my level of Japanese isn't quite at the level of figuring it out in local stores.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I bought a waffle maker this week. I'm going to make gluten-free, low-carb almond flour waffles this weekend.

I also have some shirataki pasta and I'm going to make a low-carb mac-n-cheese with it.

Will report the results next week.
  • Niccidawn092
    Niccidawn092 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Just the photo has me drooling. I'm not going to use his nutrition facts, I'll wait till I make a batch and see how many I get out of it. Not sure if these would freeze well, but what the heck...it's worth a try. They'd probably reheat in a toaster oven pretty well.

I tried these last week. The seasoning needs adjusting, in my opinion. They just tasted bland, and I didn't care much for the rosemary. But they were really good! We liked them a lot, just need some tweaking. :)
  • Skoster1
    Options

I tried these last week. The seasoning needs adjusting, in my opinion. They just tasted bland, and I didn't care much for the rosemary. But they were really good! We liked them a lot, just need some tweaking. :)

So I considered this and thought to myself... "Self, what makes everything better on keto?" I'm pretty sure bacon is the answer. I'll find out since I'm cooking them now (without the rosemary, though if I had sausage I'd do that and keep the rosemary).

EDIT: I fried up bacon until crispy and broke it up into the mixture but it's still not right, I have to figure out where to get sausage here. Or possibly some sort of hollandaise type sauce would fix it.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at that fried mac & cheese recipe too. Are we allowed to use nutritional yeast? Because that would make it a lot cheesier.
  • Skoster1
    Options
    I've been looking at that fried mac & cheese recipe too. Are we allowed to use nutritional yeast? Because that would make it a lot cheesier.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/1323565/2

Appears to be mostly protein, 1g net carb for 2 Tablespoons.
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've seen a bunch of stuff I'd like to try. Most of the stuff I've seen is on FB. However, we FINALLY have a rain free mild weekend, so I'll be spending as much time as possible outside and not indoors cooking. I have trees to replant, soccer games to go to and a Sikha festival to attend.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Options
    I made the almond flour waffles. It was a big hit. I used Bob's almond flour. The waffles have sour cream, two eggs, a bit of baking soda and salt. I added blueberries to the batter and some afterwards on top. I prefer it on the top after the waffle is cooked. Here's what it looks like.

photo28_zps573efc63.jpg
  • Skoster1
    Options
    I made the almond flour waffles. It was a big hit. I used Bob's almond flour. The waffles have sour cream, two eggs, a bit of baking soda and salt. I added blueberries to the batter and some afterwards on top. I prefer it on the top after the waffle is cooked. Here's what it looks like.

(IMAGE CUT TO REDUCE BANDWIDTH)

That. Looks. AWESOME!!!!!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Options
    I made this in an Oster waffle maker in case anyone wanted to know. :laugh:

The recipe is this..

2 cups almond flour
    2 eggs, whisked
    1/4 cup plain sour cream
    1 teaspoon GF pure vanilla extract (I used almond extract)
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt

Instructions:
    Spray waffle iron with oil and preheat
    Whisk your eggs in a medium bowl until almost doubled and a light lemon yellow color.
    Add your sour cream, almond extract - whisk together well.
    Next add your almond flour, baking soda, salt, and mix together thoroughly.
    Pour about 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup into each side of your waffle iron and cook until your light goes off or they are nice and brown. It took about 2 minutes for mine
    Makes about 3 large waffles

Put some butter or whipped cream...enjoy!
  • tru2one
    Options
    I made the almond flour waffles. It was a big hit.

I'm not a huge fan of pancakes, waffles, french toast, etc. but those looked so tasty especially w/ the blueberries!

I was not quite as industrious as I'd hoped to be in the kitchen this weekend. Only made it through one of the three recipes I wanted to try (Stuffed Cabbage Casserole). It was good, but not an "OMG-you-must-run-out-and-make-this-immediately" good. Just an easy foil packet freezer filler to add a different taste in the mix every once in awhile.

I think on tonite's menu will be a savory version of muffin-in-a-minute that I will use as a platform for either a smoked salmon cream cheese spread w/ onion and capers or generous smears of butter and braunschweiger. Or maybe a bit of both.
  • AMPitup89
    AMPitup89 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This weekend ended up turning into a small camping trip so no new cooking for me.

But i wanted to recommend this recipe:
    http://www.ruled.me/keto-bites-grilled-ham-cheese/

very good! the buns are noticeably almond flour but otherwise, delicious.

Also, a easy dessert to get some fat in is this:
    2-3tbsp of whip cream/cool whip/whatever
    1tbsp almond butter

Very yummy!
    Also really good on a mug cake that got a little dry.
  • tru2one
    Options
    But i wanted to recommend this recipe:
    http://www.ruled.me/keto-bites-grilled-ham-cheese/

That one looks like a keeper! I wonder if you used part flax meal instead of all almond flour if it would make it taste "grainier." I like how the flax meal tastes in my muffin in a minute.